ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri May 14, 2021 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sage Tactical Remington 1100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:15 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello everyone,
This is my first post here, first 1100 and just wanted to share and ask for a little wisdom in getting this little gem cycling on standard buck/slug. It cycles fine on the hottest 1600fps deer slugs, but I want to tune it a bit to run some more readily accessible buck/slug loads.

Pics of how I found her. More to follow.

Compare the finish to modern parkerized 870

Last edited by Gringo7718 on Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Sage Tactical Remington 1100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:14 pm 
Utility Grade

I must say that the action really absorbs a lot of recoil and slows down the pulse very nicely. It is a dream to shoot and it cycles fine on 1600fps ammo, but not 1325fps buck/slug. It is intended for home defense and it would be nice if it could cycle more readily available defense ammo. It almost cycles (90-95%) and should only take some tuning to get it where I need it.

I have replaced the gas system and O-rings, and ordered a new magazine tube spring. I have installed tested, replaced, reinstalled, and then removed the tactical carrier latch to rule that out.

I believe the recoil control spring could be a bit too strong, limiting the cycling action just a little. Or the maybe the gas ports could possibly be opened up a little, although I would like to avoid that. Any ideas are welcome to smooth out the action just a bit to squeeze that last 5-10% to where it will cycle on the standard load.

As she sits now.

SJ follower, slight polish on feed ramp

tactical carrier latch

FO front sight

TLR3

Last edited by Gringo7718 on Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The Sidewinder required moving the recoil spring from the stock to the magazine, and thinning the action bars to accommodate the new proprietary spring. These are not common guns, and as such, don't be surprised if nobody here is able to point you in the right direction. Sage still exists, although I don't think they do these conversions anymore, but maybe they can point you in the right direction.

Easiest option may be to get a 2nd barrel to experiment on as far as opening the ports. However, the action bars are one of the weak links on the 1100, made even more so by thinning them, so proceed with caution, since the modified bars would be difficult to impossible to replace, even OEM bars are getting difficult to find with the Remington bankruptcy.

If you are so inclined, I'd like to see some pics of what it looks like under the forend, since that's where all the magic is on these.

http://www.sminglershotgunsports.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:11 am 
Utility Grade

Thank you, I understand these specific conversions are unusual and appreciate any assistance available. The action bars seem fairy robust, to be honest, minimal thinning from what I can tell and seems very solid.

Right side

Left side

Last edited by Gringo7718 on Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have yet to see one of these modified 1100 actions that was not very finicky from an ammo standpoint. Generally you will have to tune the action to the loads you want to shoot, and keep parts in a bag for different loads. I had the best luck trimming action springs for different loads. I do not remember now where I got the generic springs I used because the originals were pretty dear. Someplace in Cincinnati I think.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:17 pm 
Utility Grade

I ended up leaving the bolt locked back for about a week to try and weaken the recoil spring. I also gently ran a small drill bit along the walls of the gas ports. Gently.

Result: Cycles better with standard buck but needs more tuning. Definitely headed in the right direction.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Does yours also have the modified buffer arrangement with a elastomer impact disc above where the recoil spring used to go thru the rear of the receiver ? If you intend to open the ports and still shoot stout loads I would definitely add that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:12 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the advice, a buffer sounds like a great idea and cheap insurance. I would definitely like to know more if you are able to share.

After some research I found there could be one in the bolt (this one has it) but there could also be a buffer in the rear of the receiver.

The bolt has a yellowish round buffer on the rear, but I do not see a buffer in the rear of the receiver. I also don't see much to attach a buffer to.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:54 pm 
Utility Grade

Update...
I slowly opened up the ports little by little in between each range outing and am happy to say she is cycling well with 1300fps buck/slug. (Doesn't cycle low recoil stuff but I don't need it to). Everyone that has shot it comments how soft and pleasant it is to shoot. :D

I'm still interested in learning more about the receiver buffer if anyone can help with that, that would be great.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

1100s don't have a buffer in the receiver, only in the bolt.

http://www.sminglershotgunsports.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:20 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You can install a buffer in the back of the receiver utilizing the hole the action tube and spring used to fill. I found a 1/8" or 3/16" thick neoprene piece fit to go up inside and just narrow enough to fit between the receiver walls did okay. Viton would be better but much harder to find. In spite of the almost universal love of Teflon it is a lousy elastomer. A small bolt thru the hole with a self locking nut and washer will hold it. A few wraps of electrical tape around the bolt will keep it centered.
If you have the rest of the set up balanced it should be more for insurance than an every shot impact.