ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Model 11 screws and maintenance
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:43 am 
Utility Grade

I just picked up a very used but functional Model 11 in 16 gauge. It's the humpback stock and has the crossbolt safety. I'm ALMOST confident enough to do a full disassembly of the gun by watching a gunsmith on YouTube. That being said, I'm about to purchase a Wheeler bench block and screwdriver set (264720) for the job. I already have a punch set. I think I'll be buying replacement screws to have on hand just in case from numrich. Are these carrier screws the same as an A5? I'm sure not but it's hard to find parts for this gun. I also bought a model 11-48 in 16 gauge, which seems to be a simpler gun to maintain. Are there any unique maintenance issues i need to keep in mind or parts I should replace on these old guns? The springs maybe? The stocks need work but i have a friend that can re finish them. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Model 11 screws and maintenance
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

Parts are getting hard to find for the Model 11, it went out of production in about 1948. I doubt if screws from a Belgian Browning A5 would work - they have metric treads.
New recoil and action springs would be a good idea if you can find them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:26 pm 
Crown Grade

When you take the stock off make sure you take out the correct screw.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:16 pm 
Crown Grade

Flues16 wrote:
Parts are getting hard to find for the Model 11, it went out of production in about 1948. I doubt if screws from a Belgian Browning A5 would work - they have metric treads.

If you look at Arts Gun shop video on disassembly of a Model 11 he was pleasantly surprised that some of the screws were interchangeable with the Auto 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfkOMqWU6g4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSAJGhzUA6I

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:20 pm 
Crown Grade

Browning Recoil and Action springs will work. As well as Browning friction pieces — Bronze Friction Piece, Steel Friction Ring, and Friction Spring. I wouldn’t try anything else, especially stuff that’s threaded.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:26 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you guys. Yes, I views Art's video I thought it was very good. I have ordered a Wheeler screwdriver set to make sure I don't bugger up the heads. I'm going to look for new springs. Thank you guys. I also have the 11-48 if ya'll have advice on that one. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

Flues16 wrote:

I was just about to mention Art's Gun Shop in MO. He has rebuilt Model 11s using Browning-threaded receiver screws and apparently it doesn't cause any issues.

As for the 11-48, I used to own a 16 ga Sportsman 48 - definitely a much simpler gun to take care of and disassemble than the Auto-5 design. A very nice shotgun while I had it. I got rid of it a while back when I was saving up for a new 1100 Sporting. But they are cool pieces of history and in my opinion handle basically like an 1100, but much more recoil as it's obviously a recoil-operated gun.

All that having been said, I liked mine and they are a great piece of Americana. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

The 1148 shouldn't require anything special to strip or clean. They are much easier to work on than the 11.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:24 pm 
Utility Grade

Do you guys know what was used to finish the stocks from the factory? They need to be stripped and refinshed. I'm thinking it was an oil or something and not a polyurethane or clear coat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:35 pm 
Utility Grade

https://youtu.be/AAMspI1BeyI