ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just a Suggestion For V3 Owners
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:28 pm 
Crown Grade

IMHO, a prudent move, considering the uncertain status of Remington gun manufacturing and related availability of parts: Pull the bolt and thoroughly grease the bolt carrier cam pin and slot in which it rides. The cam pin on the carrier in my V3 was beginning to show signs of wear and it is a lightly used gun ( less than 300 rounds ).

You hear, " If I can do it, anybody can do it ". Trust me, I`m the poster boy for that saying when it comes to things like this! Plus, just like everything else it seems, there are good You Tube demonstrations for disassembly of the gun in general and the bolt assembly in particular.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

Post subject: Re: Just a Suggestion For V3 Owners
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

While appropriately applying grease to the carrier plate, cam pin, bolt tail and bolt collar is a prudent measure everyone should perform IMO...it certainly didn't prevent the cam pin from shearing in one of my V3s -or- keep the cam pins in my other two V3s from getting peened and "buggered up."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:41 pm 
Crown Grade

hkg3k wrote:
While appropriately applying grease to the carrier plate, cam pin, bolt tail and bolt collar is a prudent measure everyone should perform IMO...it certainly didn't prevent the cam pin from shearing in one of my V3s -or- keep the cam pins in my other two V3s from getting peened and "buggered up."

Well, I can`t imagine what else you can do to influence the situation. I have a spare carrier assembly. Hopefully, at 73, and considering that I spread the use of my guns and one does not take the brunt of the shooting activity, my V3 will last until such time as I shuffle off this mortal coil!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:31 pm 
Field Grade

Tide, I did what you suggested tonight and pulled my V3 bolt and put a nice bit of white lithium grease in the slot and then worked the parts together to get everything well coated. Mine has a little over a 1000 rds through it and I could see a hint of peening starting to show. I don't shoot anything over 1 1/8 oz. 1250fps in it as I am very recoil adverse. Hopefully someone will make some replacement carrier plates so us V3 users can have a spare on hand. I love my V3, but this seems to be a pxxx poor design flaw in an otherwise, one of the best SA shotguns I have ever shot. 1cas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:21 am 
Tournament Grade

Tidefanatic wrote:
Well, I can`t imagine what else you can do to influence the situation.

That's my point. It may not matter what "prudent" measures one takes...the wear and subsequent breakage of the cam pin could very possibly be inevitable.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:08 am 
Crown Grade

hkg3k wrote:
Tidefanatic wrote:
Well, I can`t imagine what else you can do to influence the situation.

That's my point. It may not matter what "prudent" measures one takes...the wear and subsequent breakage of the cam pin could very possibly be inevitable.

Could well be.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:10 pm 
Limited Edition

Too bad for All of Us who own V3's as I'm sure at some time in the future Remington would have redesigned/improved the cam pin and bolt carrier. :( .

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:49 pm 
Crown Grade

hkg3k brings up some valid points and has been invaluable in tracking down what bolt carrier assemblies were available. My V3 has approximately 2,000 rounds through it and showed some minor wear to the cam pin but so far has not sheared or otherwise failed.

I am just curious who besides hkg3k has had a failure to the cam pin as shown? After the season ends, I am going to contact Stan Jones Lodge because Randy had said in a past article that they had gone exclusively to the V3. He also said they were using the Remington Hypersonic shells. I would think those shells would cause considerable stress to any gun.

I know of one FABARM Waterfowler that did not handle them for long before needing a trip back to CG for repairs. Not much of a sample size but nevertheless a factual case.

Since a commercial outfit like a commercial duck lodge's guns get extraordinary use; I am curious if they will indicate whether they have had failures and or maybe they have abandoned the V3 altogether by now.

I will report back what if anything I get for a response. Until then I will keep that area properly lubricated per Tidefanatic's recommendation, but intend to use my V3 until either it or I are irreparable! :shock: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

Another member initiated a "broken cam pin" thread here:
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=464985

There are half a dozen members who report broken cam pins in that thread. There may be reports in other places on SGW or elsewhere, but this is the thread I'm most familiar with.

I would invite anyone to visit that thread if you haven't already and take a look of my pics of the V3 and Versa Max bolt assemblies. The Versa Max bolt assembly is essentially Benelli...without the inertia spring, patterned after the M4. In fact, there's several key parts which interchange between the VM and Benelli. If a VM part is not available...odds are the equivalent Benelli part will fit.

I was a VM owner 1st, and was quite surprised when I jumped into V3 ownership to find Remington hadn't taken the proven, successful design of the VM/Benelli bolt assembly and scaled / adapted it to the V3 (without the "tail"). Using a small(er) diameter cam pin staked to a carrier plate and the way the cam pin interacts radially on the V3's bolt tail just seemed like an inefficient, counter-intuitive and fragile recipe...the result of which led to what ultimately happened to one of my V3s in its cam pin shearing. Also...all who've used their V3 to any degree whatsoever report the "unusual" wear on the cam pin itself. That's not normal wear or the result of normal interaction between two camming metal parts...regardless of what Remington may have said in the past.

Even though few could have predicted Remington's fate and current situation...it's where we find ourselves. I would view this situation differently were Remington still viable and I were able to place a phone call and get the replacement part for free...notwithstanding the failure could've ruined my expensive SD pheasant hunt. Currently, if you can actually now find a replacement carrier plate assembly...you'll pay north (or more) of $100 for it.

Will there be a viable replacement part source in the future? Even if Remington Arms rises from the ashes...is new ownership going to warrant the V3 and replace at no charge these broken parts? If not, how often will a $100 part have to be thrown at this shotgun to keep it running?

I realize folks don't want to hear negative "stuff" about their favored selection. I'm the same way. I still own (3) V3s and desperately want this to work out...I'm just frustrated that Remington (intentionally?) took a wrong path and designed in an Achilles Heel with that cam pin and bolt assembly design.

Last edited by hkg3k on Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:55 pm 
Crown Grade

.45colt wrote:
Too bad for All of Us who own V3's as I'm sure at some time in the future Remington would have redesigned/improved the cam pin and bolt carrier. :( .

I`m sure they would have as well. It`s particularly frustrating as the V3 is one sweet shooting gun.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:45 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

.45colt wrote:

Remington already did just that with the Waterfowl Pro / Turkey Pro models.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:39 pm 
Limited Edition

Randy wrote....."Remington already did just that with the Waterfowl Pro / Turkey Pro models. " So has or does anyone have a diagram or parts list of just what Remington did to solve the problem.....? could parts be retrofitted to the V3.?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:43 pm 
Crown Grade

.45colt wrote:
Randy wrote....."Remington already did just that with the Waterfowl Pro / Turkey Pro models. " So has or does anyone have a diagram or parts list of just what Remington did to solve the problem.....? could parts be retrofitted to the V3.?

I was wondering the same thing. Good questions.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:35 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Where are you going to get ANY parts? That's the problem.

Remington engineers spent a tremendous amount of time on the V3, but the banks that owned Remington were decisionally challenged, with constant start . . . then stop sequences.

That's why it took so long for stock shims, the exhaust tubes of the walnut were never standardized, the V3 Sporting models never were released, much less the V3 20 gauge that was designed, scaled, and planned for production.

With the TAC-13 (a huge hit), the V3 Compact, the V3 Tactical Models, and finally the Turkey Pro and Waterfowl Pro, there were countless refinements . . . but, by then the banks ran Remington out of raw materials, stopped paying Remington vendors, so comparatively few of any of those models were ever made.

V3, RIP.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:

Could you (or anyone with a V3 Pro) enlighten everyone as to the details of those redesigns / improvements?
Pics?
Diagram(s)?
Updated part #'s?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:53 pm 
Limited Edition

If Remington found a solution it would be a tremendous help to the V3 owners going forward...........

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:16 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Tidefanatic wrote:
IMHO, a prudent move, considering the uncertain status of Remington gun manufacturing and related availability of parts: Pull the bolt and thoroughly grease the bolt carrier cam pin and slot in which it rides. The cam pin on the carrier in my V3 was beginning to show signs of wear and it is a lightly used gun ( less than 300 rounds ).

You hear, " If I can do it, anybody can do it ". Trust me, I`m the poster boy for that saying when it comes to things like this! Plus, just like everything else it seems, there are good You Tube demonstrations for disassembly of the gun in general and the bolt assembly in particular.

Close to five years ago, a V3 troubleshooting thread was started at http://www.remingtonowners.com/topic2448.html . As the manual has always instructed, "Reassembling, I lubricated the cam pin with a light gun grease as indicated in the manual and then the remaining parts of the bolt assembly with Rem-oil."

Initial wear was somewhat common, wear to the point of causing functional issues was extremely uncommon. That thread has been dormant over at http://www.remingtonowners.com for years. Most people didn't have problems, and less cared for from the beginning Remington V3's had a lifetime warranty.

With the demise of Remington, some got panicky and started playing "what if"? The heat treat / metallurgy was changed anyway on the cam pin, and the specific changes were in a drawer in engineering in Huntsville. As far as I know, the running production changes were adopted in 2019 sometime. Engineering and product managers alike were looking ahead to more V3 models and the 20 gauge as well.

The Waterfowl Pro was announced at SHOT 2019 (see above video), but wasn't actually released until late 2019. Few were produced in 2019 and there was very, very, little production in 2020. Unbeknownst to Remington employees, Remington was already in deep, deep trouble. Andrew Cuomo closed Remington in March, 2020, and the trickle became zero.

The owners (banks) wanted out, and the rumors about the sale of Remington to the Navajo Nation started resurfacing again in May, 2020. That was never going to happen, but everyone knows the rest.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:08 am 
Presentation Grade

hkg3k wrote:
RandyWakeman wrote:

Could you (or anyone with a V3 Pro) enlighten everyone as to the details of those redesigns / improvements?
Pics?
Diagram(s)?
Updated part #'s?

Ditto

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:56 am 
Crown Grade

Dward wrote:
hkg3k wrote:
RandyWakeman wrote:

Pics?
Diagram(s)?
Updated part #'s?

Ditto

Double ditto. A different design for the bolt/bolt carrier assembly in the Pro models as opposed to the V3 Field Sport?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:36 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

The V3 is discontinued and Remington is discontinued. No parts are available from Remington, nothing is available from Remington-- not even a working phone number. No information is available from a company that no longer exists. That is the situation.

There were countless small improvements, not publicly documented, as running production changes with no part number changes. Example: In development, titanium firing pins were used for a time. "The most recent V3 firing pins are not titanium but 420 stainless steel. They are vacuum quench and tempered with a double temper and then shot peened."

My very good, long-time friends at Remington in management, engineering, marketing, and quality control are no longer with Remington, have not been with Remington for some time, and can not investigate, or so much as comment.

Empty buildings filled with no one can give you, me, or anyone no information.