ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington 1100 Help
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:23 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a remington 1100 competition that will not eject shells. It stovepipes and some spent shells get stuck in the barrel and I have to take it out by hand The gun has approximately 800-1000 rounds through it and was working fine. I've taken it apart and thoroughly cleaned it. Gas ports are clear, action cycles perfect by hand, replaced the rubber O-ring, and verified the metal rings on the magazine tube were installed correctly (one piece design with flat part towards trigger), lightly oiled it and still nothing. Ive tried Winchester, Federal, Browning and Remington ammo mostly #7.5 or #8 1oz or 1 1/8oz. Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Remington 1100 Help
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

Lets make sure we are talking the same language.

When you say it stove pipes, is the shell sticking out of the ejection port, with the bolt pressing it against the barrel?
That is a stove pipe. If that is not your stove pipe, then what does yours look like?

When the shell is stuck in the barrel, is the bolt locked back at the rear, or is it sitting on the fired shell in the chamber?

With those answered someone can give you some pretty good guesses as to the problem.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:06 pm 
Utility Grade

Bolt always cycles back to the rear. It stove pipes sometimes and sometimes stays in the ejection port and i have to take it out by hand.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:53 am 
Tournament Grade

Check the action spring and tube, clean and lightly lube. Clean, or polish the chamber, check the extractor tip. Clean and use compressed air, preferably from an air compressor the parts inside the receiver. Then lightly lube those parts with a wet lube like CLP.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:40 am 
Utility Grade

I was having this issue on my standard weight 20 gauge sometime ago. After doing everything that has been suggested I changed ammo. Problem solved.
I found that cheaper ammunition, Winchester super target, the Herters shells sold by Cabelas at the time and Rios to name a few were problematic.
It seems that the rim on these shells were a little too rounded for the extractor to grab reliably and would often leave the fired shell in the chamber and lock the bolt back or stovepipe.
Again, this was with the 20 gauge 1100 and has since been a well documented issue.
I would try better ammo if you’ve tried everything else.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:18 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Make sure that the extractor is getting a good “bite” on the rim of the shell head. I’ve had to adjust these in the past with a stroke or two and a jewelers file

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:06 pm 
Utility Grade

So I changed the Rubber O-ring, piston seal assembly, and the extractor which was chipped, now it ejects 2 out of every 5 shells. Same stovepiping happens. Not sure what to do at this point. Ammo is scarse where I am so finding certain ammo is nearly impossible.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Make sure that your action spring and tube are clean and free of dirt and debris and that the action operates freely all the way back. Also lightly oil the rails

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:59 am 
Presentation Grade

casonet wrote:
Make sure that your action spring and tube are clean and free of dirt and debris and that the action operates freely all the way back. Also lightly oil the rails

This disassembly a bit of a pain to do, but on a new gun it's entirely possible the action tube would have a bunch of cosmoline or similar assembly lube in it. Which would maybe be OK at 60F, but would turn to thick goop at 30F.

Also go lighter on the oil than you might with other guns. Just a little light oil (I actually applied with a Qtip) on the outside of the frame rails.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

If it's still giving you issues, you may want to replace the extractor spring as well. This provides tension to the extractor and holds spent shell in place until it hits the ejector. Of course, all things 1100 are hard to find right now. I did see a few on eBay. If you want to test this prior to purchase and you know someone else with an 1100, you could swap the bolt groups to see if that isolates the issue. (Any 12ga 1100 would work, it wouldn't need to be a Competition Synthetic)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Does it extract and eject when worked manually? If so, every time?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Try to get an old two piece style piston and piston seal. Might try polishing the chamber. Different shells is likely the cure.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:33 am 
Diamond Grade

It sounds like an extractor problem to me. The suggestion to make the extractor angle sharper is good. A new extractor is good, a new extractor spring is good, Changing from hard to extract steel based cases to brass is good for fixing extractor problems.

If not the extractor, maybe the ejector, but not likely. If ejector is not giving good thump to the case, then the case can sort of halfass come out, but stay inside the port then get slammed back to the front against the chamber giving the stovepipe. another thing that can cause stovepipe, maybe action is not throwing hard enough to get the bolt completely to the rear, this can happen, but you say the bolt always goes all the way back, so this is ruled out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:09 am 
Utility Grade

If you are reloasding your shells then i believe that the braSS IS NOT BEING PROPERLY RESIZED.i HAVE SHOT APPROX 100.000 SHELLS IN REM 1100 AT COMP.SKEET AND HAD THAT PROBLEM.tHAT SHOULD NOT BE A PROBLEM IF YOUN ARE USING NEWLY MANUFACTURED SHELLS.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

Sounds like the extractor. Make sure it is the proper one, might have been replaced with the wrong one.
Take out the bolt and check the bolt buffer [plastic, rear of bolt]..

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

My guess is the extractor / extractor spring is bad or the recoil spring needs replacement.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:05 am 
Presentation Grade

I recently had a gunsmith tell me a story about an 11-87 that was not ejecting. The owner brought the gun in and told him it needed a new barrel. I guess the owner had the gun at another gunsmith for the problem and if they changed the barrel the gun would eject just fine. The 2nd gunsmith polished the chamber and told the customer not to use shells that have the aluminum colored metal head. Just food for thought.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:15 am 
Crown Grade

Man. Bad time to have problems with Remington guns. One good thing, though, at least with 870s, 1100s and 11-87s, they`ve been around so long that gunsmiths are usually more than a little familiar with them. I guess there`s parts for those out there, but that may begin to be a crap shoot if it`s not already.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:01 am 
Presentation Grade

I was having trouble with an older 1100 cycling light target loads, even factory shells. I replaced the piston and O-ring with the newer snap-fit style and have been 100 shells with no issues.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The biggest issue is ignorant gunsmiths and owners.