ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington 3200 firing pin issue
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

I was cleaning my Remington 3200 today and noticed that the top barrel firing pin wasn’t recessed into the breech face. It is about .05 proud of the breech face after firing. I’ve not experienced a problem but my biggest concern is an accidental discharge when I close the gun.

Is this a problem that needs addressed immediately or in the future ? If so, is there something I might be able to do myself or do I just send it to Laib’s ? FWIW, I bought the gun new and it probably has about 5,000 shells through it, more through the bottom barrel than the top. The updates were already performed when I purchased the gun new.

Hoping to get some advice. Thanks in advance.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Remington 3200 firing pin issue
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:46 am 
Crown Grade

That is as it should be. Model 3200 firing pins are very lightly spring loaded forward so that the hammers don't strike them on an empty chamber. So they will never get broken by dry firing. Remington made a point of this and it is discussed on page 10 of the 1973 booklet introducing the Model 3200.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:11 pm 
Diamond Grade

It could be a problem. 3200 firing pin holes become buggered up over time, because the breech face is soft. There is a fix for it, Pat Laib does it, machines out a strip of metal from the breech face and inserts a hardened strip in its place. I had it done to two different 3200s. I think it was about $300 per gun when I had it done. After the modification, the pins no longer stuck in the buggered holes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:03 am 
Crown Grade

The gun pictured has such a clean breech face. Certainly hasn't fired anywhere near enough rounds to require the breech face rebuild. Mine that shot NSSA registered skeet for 11 seasons, some years as high as 3500 rounds, didn't need it when I took it to Laibs.