ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Remington Lovers
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:42 pm 
Utility Grade

Another old phart here with numerous wingmasters and 1100s i still enjoy. So I am all gunned out. But if they ever re-offer the 870 competition trap, i would have a very hard time staying away.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have a Wingmaster 20 on a 12 ga frame and I adore that gun with a fixed skeet choke. I also have a .410 with a skeet choke. I’m keeping them because I honestly believe that we’ve seen the last of the 870s.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

oyeme wrote:
...and I have not heard of others having problems with them.

Oyeme...I find this statement rather curious in light of the PMs we exchanged and your contribution to this thread
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=524742

and this thread...which was started by the OP because he had just broken his cam pin and there's a half-dozen owners reporting in this thread with the same issue.
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=464985

For me personally with regard to V3s...I'm out. I just sold off the last of my (3) V3s and did so because of the weakness in the V3's unique cam pin design and the lack of spare parts. After breaking the cam pin in one of the V3s on this year's pheasant hunt...I was lucky to find a single replacement only after calling every viable parts source in the country. No one will find a replacement cam pin / carrier plate assembly today. That was the last straw for me.

BTW...if one does break a cam pin it's not a simple matter of just punching the pin remnant out of the carrier plate and pressing in a new pin. The cam pin is not only press-fit into the carrier plate...it is also high-temp soldered in place. When my pin broke...I tried to punch it out, without luck. Then I applied heat with a propane torch till the carrier plate glowed amber...still no luck. It'll probably take oxy-acetylene to get the solder hot enough to flow and remove the cam pin.

I'm keeping one VM because it's a superior shotgun IMO and doesn't suffer from the same cam-pin design flaw as the V3...plus there's many key parts on the VM which interchange with the Benelli...an extremely important factor going forward if the situation with Remington is not resolved.

Last edited by hkg3k on Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:31 am 
Presentation Grade

buckmark525 wrote:
... to bring out a 'Classic' model, an 870 or 1100 with high polish blueing and high grade oil finished walnut with butt plate. Also bring back the 870 16g but build it on the 20g LW frame.

There is no market for high grade pump shotguns. Don't believe me? Then hop over to ATF web site and look at the pitiful sales numbers posted by Ithaca for 2019.

Sent from my SM-T727V using Tapatalk