ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A nice 1100 trap
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:44 am 
Crown Grade

I’m always interested in left hand shotguns, but I’ve got one similar to this so I don’t need another.

This is obviously a very nice shotgun in excellent condition but am I wrong in thinking maybe it is being promoted as being something it isn’t ? I am no way thinking the person is being purposely deceptive, their description of the chokes leads me to believe they may have incomplete information.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/892754702

Original wood ? Original barrel ?

Beautiful gun regardless. It would make a fine shooter.

Post subject: Re: A nice 1100 trap
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:36 pm 
Field Grade

That is a very fine looking 1100, but my amateur opinion would lean towards it not being an original combination of parts.

The wood grade looks like a target gun, but the slope of the comb looks more skeet or sporting to me.

If he's correct about the vintage of the receiver, remchoke would be much later.

Now, what he does say about the incongruous choke boring/marking...maybe it's one of those partially backbored trap barrels, where the constriction begins before the remchoke?

I'm curious, too, and looking forward to seeing an expert opinion on this one...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:27 pm 
Limited Edition

McFarmer wrote:
I’m always interested in left hand shotguns, but I’ve got one similar to this so I don’t need another.

This is obviously a very nice shotgun in excellent condition but am I wrong in thinking maybe it is being promoted as being something it isn’t ? I am no way thinking the person is being purposely deceptive, their description of the chokes leads me to believe they may have incomplete information.

The ad states "updated" barrel. Unless that edit was added after you posted this.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:49 pm 
Crown Grade

noweil wrote:
McFarmer wrote:

The ad states "updated" barrel. Unless that edit was added after you posted this.

I think it reads “undated”. Which I didn’t know was a possibility.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:36 pm 
Diamond Grade

That sure is pretty. Those LH 1100 are bringing top dollar currently.
Doug

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:40 pm 
Limited Edition

McFarmer,

You asked:
McFarmer wrote:
Original wood ? Original barrel?

The ad on gun broker clearly states:
"The undated barrel is 30" factory Remington premium target with the deluxe white bead front sight and mid-rib gold bead."

I'm not sure what you mean by original barrel? To me the ad on gunbroker means the gun has a updated (newer rem choke) barrel on it.

Last edited by noweil on Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Gun made between 1968 and 1974. Serial number leads me towards 1974. Metal looks Trap A, but wood looks Trap B, non MC. Would need the stock dimensions to see if it is Trap or Skeet/Field. Sporting had not been invented yet. 1st generation pressed checkering pattern. Looks like a standard blued post-1987 RemChoke barrel. It is likely a trap barrel with that rib, but Remington's hit or miss rollmarking is no help. No date code is not unusual; I have 3 of them. If it was a "Target" barrel, it should say so, same for Light/Target Contour. The only way to confirm the choke situation would be to measure the barrel and the chokes. They do not look like the special overbore chokes as those have a different thread set up.
Damn nice looking gun. If it was right hand 5 digit serial number I'd buy it in an instant.

Last edited by Virginian on Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:30 pm 
Crown Grade

noweil wrote:
McFarmer,

You asked:
McFarmer wrote:
Original wood ? Original barrel?

The ad on gun broker clearly states:
"The undated barrel is 30" factory Remington premium target with the deluxe white bead front sight and mid-rib gold bead."

I'm not sure what you mean by original barrel? To me the ad on gunbroker means the gun has a updated (newer rem choke) barrel on it.

Yes, it seemed confusing to me for some reason. Obviously an upgraded barrel.

Nice shotgun.

I'm probably reading too much into the word "rare".

Last edited by McFarmer on Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:34 pm 
Crown Grade

Virginian wrote:
Gun made between 1968 and 1974. Serial number leads me towards 1974. Metal looks Trap A, but wood looks Trap B non MC. Would need the stock dimensions to see if it is Trap or Skeet/Field. Sporting had not been invented yet. 1st generation pressed checkering pattern. Looks like a standard blued post-1987 RemChoke barrel. No date code is not unusual; I have 3 of them. If it was a "Target" barrel, it would say so, same for Light/Target Contour.
Damn nice looking gun. If it was right hand 5 digit serial number I'd buy it in an instant.

So it doesn’t have the built in constriction ahead of the tubes ? Those choke tubes sound like the ones that would come with a target barrel. Is that a step rib ?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:22 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The overbore barrels with partial constriction, at least the ones I have seen, have tubes with different threads so you cannot accidently screw in a regular RemChoke.
It does look like a step rib.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:43 am 
Presentation Grade

The threads are the same for Rem-Choke and the overbore Rem-Choke barrel.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

Kirby is spot on there , I've been through this tangle and here is how it worked. The over bore trap barrel tapered down to .727 just in front of the rem choke threads giving you about .015 of "permanent" choke prior to the screw in. This allowed you/them to use the rem choke system. They provided chokes with the barrel marked "trap full" etc giving you the net amount of constriction ,if you use regular rem chokes (not marked trap) you get .015 plus the constriction in the choke. (example skeet choke .005 plus pre choke .015 = .020 total constriction) Often wondered what would happen if you tried a super full rem choke on top of the .015 ,but not enough to try it. They later made the pro bore series of chokes for subsequent over bore barrels ,and they had a different thread.

Bobcat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Well, since a regular RemChoke starts out at something OVER .727, I can only wonder what the effect of going from say .729 to .714 to .732 to .705 is on the pattern. To my knowledge I have never seen or patterned this arrangement.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:02 pm 
Presentation Grade

The overbore trap barrels were about .742 tapering to .727 then jumping a gap at the inlet side of the rem choke (.735) and squeezing down to whatever final choke you put in. Never patterned mine but the two step choking probably wasn't one of big greens best ideas, although Cutts did essentially the same thing. I think the pro bore barrels were .734 all the way to the choke.

Bobcat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:10 pm 
Crown Grade

Bobcat Welding wrote:
The overbore trap barrels were about .742 tapering to .727 then jumping a gap at the inlet side of the rem choke (.735) and squeezing down to whatever final choke you put in. Never patterned mine but the two step choking probably wasn't one of big greens best ideas, although Cutts did essentially the same thing. I think the pro bore barrels were .734 all the way to the choke.

Bobcat

One of our sponsors:

Similar to that ?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:18 pm 
Presentation Grade

Effectively yes here is an older thread on the same subject https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 5&t=421096

Bobcat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:57 pm 
Limited Edition

I have a factory 30" LH RemChoke barrel for my 1100. I purchased the "new old stock" barrel on GunBroker years ago. I believe it said 1986 on the box. I never knew they made them with a stepped rib though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:42 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Prior to this I was unaware Remington ever produced any overbored choke tubed barrels other than the ProBore ones. I am not saying they didn't, but it makes zero sense. If anyone has a link to any relevant Remington literature I would appreciate it.
I knew two guys back in the late '60's early 70's who ordered overbored fixed choke Skeet barrels. That was my first exposure to such. I think they said it was like a $15-$20 adder.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

They also made them for the 870 and 11-87.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

Can't find any Remington sourced history on this but trapshooters are well aware of the step rib barrels and chokes. https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/re ... st.163908/

Bobcat