ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: A nice 1100 trap
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:25 pm 
Crown Grade

My 11-87 target barrel uses regular rem chokes. Marked full, extra full and super full.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:46 pm 
Presentation Grade

This

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:48 pm 
Presentation Grade

Calling in researcher01 for back up in Remington literature.

Bobcat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Anyone have one of these barrels with a date code ?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:53 pm 
Crown Grade

Code WK

Trap choke and regular rem choke.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:36 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Interesting. In 2000 and thereafter Remington oddly (to me anyway) pointed out their light standard bore trap barrels with "special choked" standard RemChoke tubes. No discussion of the bore before or since. Never a word about overbore until the Probore came along. No special marking on the barrels or anything. I wonder why.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:52 am 
Presentation Grade

Mcfarmer, how does that barrel work for you ? can you comment on the patterning or notice anything special or unusual? (card shoot potential ?)

Bobcat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:15 am 
Crown Grade

Bobcat Welding wrote:
Mcfarmer, how does that barrel work for you ? can you comment on the patterning or notice anything special or unusual? (card shoot potential ?)

Bobcat

I haven’t patterned it yet. It was to be a Christmas present for our son but due to the Covid deal I haven’t gotten it to him. I’m right now refinishing a wood stock set for him.

I did shoot some trap with it. I used the only choke that came with it, “full trap” and wasn’t really impressed with the breaks. I found out later that the choke would be equivalent to modified in a regular barrel. I then got the other two chokes but haven’t shot them.

This is an earlier thread :

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 5&t=521732

Note :

“ I’m far from a machinist but my measurements of the choke restrictions are :

.016 from cylinder then a small stretch back to cylinder then another .012.

There is a very smooth transition from cylinder to choke back to cylinder then back to choke, no ridges.

Is that the way it’s made ? I’m assuming it came with tubes and no one threaded it.”

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

[quote="McFarmer"

Note :

“ I’m far from a machinist but my measurements of the choke restrictions are :

.016 from cylinder then a small stretch back to cylinder then another .012.

There is a very smooth transition from cylinder to choke back to cylinder then back to choke, no ridges.

Is that the way it’s made ? I’m assuming it came with tubes and no one threaded it.”[/quote]

Yep you got it. You can see the potential of installing a super full .045 choke and adding the native .016 to it.
Bobcat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I apologize if any of my previous posts contributed to any confusion. I was not addressing nor was I aware of any overbore with standard RemChokes.
If the barrel ID opens up to greater than normal BEFORE the regular RemChoke, how do those chokes function additively ? I truly do not understand the theory or practice of this system.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:35 pm 
Crown Grade

Virginian wrote:
I apologize if any of my previous posts contributed to any confusion. I was not addressing nor was I aware of any overbore with standard RemChokes.
If the barrel ID opens up to greater than normal BEFORE the regular RemChoke, how do those chokes function additively ? I truly do not understand the theory or practice of this system.

I’m in the same boat, seems a mystery to me. It must not have been hugely popular.

The “Brain choke” I posted a drawing of earlier would seem to be similar.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

Sorry I can't do pictures but let me walk you through the design.
1 The bore from the chamber to about 1 1/2 inches from the choke threads is .745 (about)
2 that last 1 1/2 inches of the bore tapers to .727 just before the choke threads
3 the remchoke has a funnel at the threads about .735 that receives the shot from the .727 bore
4 the remchoke then continues to constrict the pattern to whatever the choke is (lets say .690 full)
5 the pattern has constricted from .745 to .690 in two stages totaling .055 constriction (too much)
6 this is why they made special "hybrid" trap chokes so the two stages of constriction would not be excessive.

Bobcat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:16 pm 
Crown Grade

Only thing I can say is that I find the left hand Model 870s introduced in the 1971 Remington catalog. I don't have a 1972 Remington catalog but left hand Model 1100s are in the 1973. With the introduction of the light 20s left hand 20-gauge went away. From the beginning the Trap Gun was the Model 1100 TB. In 1979 they introduced the Tournament Trap & the TA and the TB was gone. At that time the left hand Trap Gun became a TA. With the Custom Shop entry engraved guns being the D "Tournament" Grade since 1911, why did they use Tournament?? The first time I see Rem-Chokes is in the 1986 catalog. This is all mostly outside my areas of interest.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:37 pm 
Presentation Grade

The idea was actually pretty sound in concept ,you got all the benefits of overboring (recoil reduction ,pattern improvement etc) you achieved your choking over 3 inches instead of abruptly in 1 1/2 inches , Basic design threads and tooling unchanged.
The problem was the logistics and understanding of the hybrid rem chokes , certain choke combos now delivered two constrictions tighter than their markings ,and open marked chokes were still tight. As long as you didn't mix chokes you were O K. My baptism was I wanted a 28 in barrel for skeet ,got one of these and couldn't understand why my patterns were tight even with a cylinder rem choke. Whipped out the bore gauge and figured it out. At about this same time I found a cross reference chart for the choke dimensions on the Remington website but cannot find it now. Here is a clip of actual measurements of the two types of chokes from a post on trapshooter.com.
Super Full Trap 0.692/Remchoke full .691
Extra Full Trap 0.709/Remchoke modified .709
Full Trap 0.732/Remchoke skeet .732
Bobcat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The whole thing smells to me. I don't envision constriction - expansion - constriction working like one long constriction, much less better. And if it was so great and was cheaper to produce why was it so short lived ? Besides which, I fooled around with different rates of constriction with both Ralph Walker and Stan Baker and we found that with chokes, unlike forcing cones, it didn't make a significant difference. The difference in choke length is usually more due to a parallel section than a shallower lead in angle.
Let's see, we have a great new concept, but let's don't advertise it. Don't even label the barrels so the unwary will just have to take their chances. In fact we will highlight the fact that our trap barrels have a standard .727" bore in the catalog.
Finally it appears the whole thing was abandoned in 2006 with the introduction of ProBore.
I wonder if these barrels were possibly produced by a third party. Maybe in that mythical Remington plant in Canada. :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:12 am 
Presentation Grade

Part of the evolution I guess ,trappers seem to like them I liked the step rib as it made it shoot a little high which I prefer ,just couldn't use the extra choking. Bore sizes seem to have stabilized among manufacturers now in the mid .730's. Didn't Stan Baker go as far as 10 ga (.775) during his time ? I ended up with a 30"pro bore barrel which is fine but would have rather had 28"

Bobcat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:42 am 
Crown Grade

I shoot a LH 1100 trap with fixed full choke, it really fits me.

I’m not experienced enough to comment on the effectiveness of the choke system design. Seems to be a little like a Rube Goldberg design.

Bobcat, I have no idea when we will be able to get this to our son. If I were to pattern it what procedure would you want ? I’ve got a light contour remchoke barrel for it also. I’m in the process of refinishing a wood stock set for it.

Back to the gun in the listing. So I imagine it is an 1100 trap with a 1999 or 2000 year 11-87 target barrel on it ? As well as 11-87 wood ? Maybe not trap dimensions ?

Good looking gun anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:56 am 
Presentation Grade

Even Mossberg showed the advantages of Overbored barrels ?
Maybe not so much for Lead shot but ( the way of the future) Steel Shot ?
Maybe Shorter shot strings give higher percentage patterns ?
Even with changeable choke tubes , it's hard to get a better patterning barrel than a
Fixed choked Remington barrel ! FWIW

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:14 am 
Presentation Grade

Remington advertised the overbore barrels in there 1989 catalogs but they may have been available before that. I purchase a new 30" 870 overbore barrel with full, extra full and super full chokes as soon as they were available.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thank you. I totally do not/did not remember that small blurb in the 1989 catalog or the passing mention in later years. Getting old I guess. 11-87 Trap and 870 Trap only apparently. I still can't believe they didn't mark the barrels.
Stan Baker did a bunch with overbored 10 gauge barrels. I could not equal his results. Once we got over about 0.012-.013" over bore I think the shotcups were leaking gas. I could never get increased velocities with any 10 gauge loads. Did get a verified one shot kill on a skyscreen though.
However, with a select few loads I was able to get increased velocities in 12 gauge with 0.010-.012" overbore. Beyond that the shotcups were either leaking or the loads were running out of gas pressure.
Those were interesting times. Always kept two 25# bags of shot tied together in the back of my Bronco to help with recoil.