ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: They don't make 'em like that anymore
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:50 pm 
Presentation Grade

A few years ago I bough an old Model 31 for $150. It was tired, but an interesting artifact.

I finally got around to stripping and cleaning, and about 90 minutes later it's a good thing they don't make 'em like that anymore.

Hard to know when it was last cleaned, but at this point it's probably good for another 50 years.

Post subject: Re: They don't make 'em like that anymore
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:11 pm 
Presentation Grade

I bought a well-worn (1940) model31 in16 gauge a few years ago for $160.00. Operation has been flawless.
The wood had been refinished well but the blueing is almost gone. Use it for squirrel and dove. Will buy a 20 gauge when I find one locally.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Taking those apart and reassembling isn’t something that you do in 5 minutes

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:25 pm 
Crown Grade

I have several Model 31s and love using them.

But, I am cognizant of their weakness. In high volume shooting like trap or skeet, the action bar fatigues and the tip breaks off. When my TC broke, Numrich had new manufactured replacements, but no such thing for 16- or 20-gauges. I certainly see that weakness as the reason Remington went to the "twin action bars" on their Model 870 Wingmaster.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:04 am 
Presentation Grade

No doubt the second time will be easier. Biggest challenge was getting the slide out - it had worn a track in the accumulated (and hardened) goo, so it wasn't immediately apparent how it was supposed to come out. Initially it didn't even want to move enough to get the action bar out. And there aren't a lot of modern guns that have that kind "fiddle with it till it fits" approach.

On the other hand, having actual machined places for all the pieces to fit was kind of refreshing.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

I just bought my first one, a D grade 20 gauge with an English stock. It will be next season before I can chase quail with it, but I’m excited!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

7dawg9,

That is a pretty gun you bought.

Good hunting!