Shotgun Forum banner

They don't make 'em like that anymore

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Fowlgunner 
#1 ·
A few years ago I bough an old Model 31 for $150. It was tired, but an interesting artifact.

I finally got around to stripping and cleaning, and about 90 minutes later it's a good thing they don't make 'em like that anymore.

Hard to know when it was last cleaned, but at this point it's probably good for another 50 years.

#3 ·
Taking those apart and reassembling isn't something that you do in 5 minutes

#4 ·
I have several Model 31s and love using them.

But, I am cognizant of their weakness. In high volume shooting like trap or skeet, the action bar fatigues and the tip breaks off. When my TC broke, Numrich had new manufactured replacements, but no such thing for 16- or 20-gauges. I certainly see that weakness as the reason Remington went to the "twin action bars" on their Model 870 Wingmaster.

#5 ·
No doubt the second time will be easier. Biggest challenge was getting the slide out - it had worn a track in the accumulated (and hardened) goo, so it wasn't immediately apparent how it was supposed to come out. Initially it didn't even want to move enough to get the action bar out. And there aren't a lot of modern guns that have that kind "fiddle with it till it fits" approach.

On the other hand, having actual machined places for all the pieces to fit was kind of refreshing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.