ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Use of 1100/11-87 without O-ring seal
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:23 am 
Tournament Grade

My 11-87 ejects empties adequately without having an O-ring installed when using 12 gauge 3" factory ammo. This observation is from a small sample size of 10 rounds fired. (Don't ask how this was discovered). Does anyone have experience with continual use of this practice? Is there any reason(s) to expect consequential damage to parts of the gun? Makes hull recovery much easier as they are flung considerably less distance.

Post subject: Re: Use of 1100/11-87 without O-ring seal
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:14 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I can’t see where it will harm your gun at all.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:57 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have done it with my 28 gauge in an attempt to curtail boot wear retrieving empties. I would get maybe one or two failures per 50 rounds using cheap ( relatively ) field loads. None with the good stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:00 am 
Utility Grade

I had one break a while back, while hunting quail in South Iowa. Shot it until lunch time when a trip to an auto parts store found me a close enough replacement. (lasted several years) Without the seal, shooting 1 1/8 AA's, gun cycled just fine, but it seemed there was more powder residue and smoke coming out the gas vents on the fore end.