ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri May 14, 2021 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: shell's brass being dented by extractor on Remington 11-87
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:33 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a Remington model 11-87 Super Magnum Turkey Special shotgun (this is a Hevi-Shot compatible gun) and when ejecting an UNFIRED shell from the chamber the side of the brass on the shells are being dented, I would assume by the extractor claw.

The extractor is NOT stuck/gummed up, it is loose and free swinging.

Some recent Internet research I have done on this problem indicated that the cause of this denting of the brass, is because the user of the shotgun (in this case me) is not ejecting the shell from the chamber quickly enough, in that, I am not pulling the bolt back smartly/hard/fast enough - basically equivalent to the speed the bolt would come back by actually firing the gun.

Is it possible that the above is the correct answer to this problem ? And if so, would still seem like a design flaw to me, in that, I should not have to pull the bolt back with a certain amount of force/speed in order for the shell's brass to not be dented by the extractor claw.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: shell's brass being dented by extractor on Remington 11-
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:25 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Wow. You discovered a hitherto unknown design flaw in the 55 year old most popular semi auto shotgun of all time. That is bullsh*t and so is that rapid extraction theory.
It has to do with the shape of the extractor. When the bolt closes the bolt face closes firmly against the bottom of the shell. That can cause the rest of the extractor to try to pivot inward. I have seen cases where this would dent the 'brass' a bit. It doesn't seem to hurt anything, but you can try reshaping the extractor if it bothers you. If it was a $50,000 hand built gun I am sure the fit between the barrel notch and the extractor could be made so exactly that it cannot occur as well.
A lot of them will bend the fired cases because when the hull hits the ejector it generates quite a bit of force against the extractor as it has to pivot out.