ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri May 14, 2021 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ammo feeding when manually working bolt on Remington 11-87
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:13 am 
Utility Grade

When user of Remington 11-87 is manually working the bolt (not during actual firing of gun) and if there is a shell in the chamber and also one or more shells in the magazine tube, after the shell that is in the chamber is ejected by pulling the bolt back, is the first shell available in the magazine supposed to automatically be fed into the chamber, i.e. replacing the shell that was just removed/ejected ?

The reason I ask is because when I do the above, the shell coming from the magazine is removed from the magazine, is sitting on top of the feeding ramp but is not automatically fed into the chamber. I have to manually push the button on the bottom of the feed ramp (bolt release) and then that next shell is fed into the chamber. Is this the way this is supposed to be working or should that next round be fed into the chamber without any interaction (pressing the release button) ?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Ammo feeding when manually working bolt on Remington 11-
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:14 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

wpshooter wrote:
When user of Remington 11-87 is manually working the bolt (not during actual firing of gun) and if there is a shell in the chamber and also one or more shells in the magazine tube, after the shell that is in the chamber is ejected by pulling the bolt back, is the first shell available in the magazine supposed to automatically be fed into the chamber, i.e. replacing the shell that was just removed/ejected ?

The reason I ask is because when I do the above, the shell coming from the magazine is removed from the magazine, is sitting on top of the feeding ramp but is not automatically fed into the chamber. I have to manually push the button on the bottom of the feed ramp (bolt release) and then that next shell is fed into the chamber. Is this the way this is supposed to be working or should that next round be fed into the chamber without any interaction (pressing the release button) ?

Thanks.

Yep, that's the way it's supposed to work. It's different from Beretta and some other autos.

Technically, when the shell comes out of the magazine on the 1187 or 1100, it hits the carrier release tab which releases the bolt to come forward to push the round into the chamber. However, when you do this manually, you are holding the bolt back and it CAN'T chamber the round since the bolt is locked back. If you want to chamber the round that came out of the magazine, you have to press the bolt release tab on the bottom of the receiver opening.

When shooting live ammo, this is done automatically for you by the force of the shell coming out of the magazine and hitting the carrier release tab which also unlocks the bolt to go forward and chamber the round.

Nothing at all wrong with your gun. That's just how it works.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

Post subject: Re: Ammo feeding when manually working bolt on Remington 11-
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Some late production guns had a modified carrier so shells would feed automatically without having to press the release. I guess we are losing manual dexterity along with common sense.