ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weight of a 12ga. 26 inch Wingmaster
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 7:34 am 
Tournament Grade

I know that factory quoted weights are sometimes off a bit, but for those who own one and have weighed it, what is the weight? I hope to get one if they ever start back with production. I have a Parkerized SP but it is heavier than a Wingmaster.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Weight of a 12ga. 26 inch Wingmaster
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:49 am 
Tournament Grade

7lb 3 or 4oz is what mine weighs.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:08 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

7 pounds, 1.2 ounces . . . . for my 12 gauge 870 Wingmaster with 26-inch fixed IC choke, vent rib barrel

I can tell you it feels, carries and swings heavier in the hands than several side-by-side shotguns I own that weigh a bit heavier on the scale. There's weight and there's perceived weight.

BTW, one of the few guns I regret selling was a really early (possibly first year of production) plain-grade Wingmaster 12 gauge with a slim corn cob forearm and a plain (no rib) 26 inch IC barrel. That thing felt great and carried light. Should have never sold it.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:49 am 
Field Grade

I have a 1953 production 12 gauge 870 that I picked up for $200 about 15 years ago. It came in a leather carrying case with a strap, and the outside pouch held the Remington wooden plug, wooden 3 piece cleaning rod and the vari-weight for the mag tube. The gun came with a 30" full choke plain barrel but over the last several years I've acquired a plain 30"skeet barrel (I bought a plain full choke barrel for $40 and had a gunsmith open it up), a 28" modified barrel (my favorite), a 30" vent rib "Trap" barrel (screw in chokes) and the obligatory non-rifled slug barrel. About 8 years ago I stupidly tried to sell the whole kit and kaboodle for $600 to finance another had to have gun but thankfully the market was soft for 870's and I had no takers even after submitting the listing twice. Thank goodness for that because now it is one of my guns that I would never part with. Easy to maintain, easy to carry, hits darn near everything I shoot at and it looks darn nice with wonderful bluing and the old style stock. At one point I had put on a synthetic stock just to see what it would be like to have a recoil pad but knew that it just didn't look right. I love that old gun and especially love that it's four years older than I am and still doing what it did 68 years ago. Almost forgot. With the 30" barrel my gun weighs around 7 ponds 6 ounces so with a 26" barrel it would be slightly less

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:01 am 
Utility Grade

I have a '69 Wingmaster 870AP that i bought on my 21st birthday. It was upgraded with the Deluxe furniture and 26" fixed IC vent rib barrel in '83, then sent to the local Remington authorized rep for extractor issues (I wore the first one out) and for careful slicking out of the action, trigger work etc.

If you stand it on its butt, and press the bolt release, it will drop the bolt almost to the bottom without touching the forearm. I only get to see it when my son takes time out of his busy schedule to take the old man hunting.

It weighs 7 lbs. 4 oz. and is a delight.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 2:43 pm 
Limited Edition

I have what I believe is an early 70's Wingmaster that a previous owner cut the barrel down to 24". He also neglected the exterior of the gun which developed a light coating of surface rust.
I took it to a gunsmith and had it drilled and tapped for Colonial chokes and had it ceracoated in a dark green color. The gun turned out great! With an extended choke the barrel is 25 inches. The gun is fast handling and a joy to carry. It weighs in at 6lbs., 12 oz........and it fits me like a glove. Of all the shotguns I own that little 12 gauge 870 is my favorite!

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 3:46 pm 
Field Grade

I recently came into a 30” Magnum which feels pretty light to me at 7 lbs 4 Oz. It’s a little too barrel heavy though and I’m thinking about a 26” barrel with choke tubes. How much weight should I expect to shave off?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:57 am 
Limited Edition

Depends on when it was made.

Back in the early 90's (don't remember exactly when?) ---they came out with the LC light contour barrels which are supposed to be a half pound lighter than the older ones.