ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: HOT NEWS.....Got a new 870 from the new Remington
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:18 pm 
Diamond Grade

Just got a NEW 870 Express, 12GA, new manufacture, first production run. The gun has a nice build, good wood/metal fit, nicely finished, no flaws to speak of, very smooth action.

"shoot what ya like, like what ya shoot".....it's that simple!

Post subject: Re: HOT NEWS.....Got a new 870 from the new Remington
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:23 pm 
Crown Grade

OK buddy, if you`re on the up and up I`ll be the paragon of apologies for doubting what you say. The reason is that I can`t imagine RemArms ( Remington ) rolling out their first production run without fanfare. To my knowledge ( and I`d love to have just missed it! ) , that has not occurred.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:26 pm 
Diamond Grade

Can you tell us the price on this fine new 870 ?

Bobcat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:32 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have nothing to gain by spreading BS, not a windbag, only 1K posts in 13 years here............My LGS of 40 years has nothing to gain either, only differance to past 870's is the labeling on the box is a bit different, the metal finish is a bit better, smoother more like the matte V3. I can only assume a shop I have delt with over 40 years, the owner a personal friend, would be on the up and up, as would his distributor. Maybe Randy can shed some light?

PS......MSRP 870 Express was $499, this was at a Mom & Pop shop.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:48 pm 
Diamond Grade

A lot of new Remington express shotguns just listed on Gunbroker https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Ke ... re&Sort=13

Bobcat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:59 pm 
Diamond Grade

Bobcat, I just viewed the gunbroker page. New production, guns made from existing parts stock, we'll see, I'm sure we'll know soon enough!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

longislandloco wrote:
guns made from existing parts stock,

Can't be. He who knows it all told us months ago there weren't any parts left in Ilion... :lol: :roll:

http://www.sminglershotgunsports.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:02 pm 
Diamond Grade

I'm sure he'll clear this up for us!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Skeet_Man wrote:
longislandloco wrote:
guns made from existing parts stock,

Can't be. He who knows it all told us months ago there weren't any parts left in Ilion... :lol: :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:28 pm 
Crown Grade

Just did a little looking and found a May,2021 article on Guns.com that asserted that the Ilion plant was indeed open and working with an 870 production line. I may well owe the OP an apology. I certainly hope so!

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:23 pm 
Diamond Grade

Tidefanatic wrote:
Just did a little looking and found a May,2021 article on Guns.com that asserted that the Ilion plant was indeed open and working with an 870 production line. I may well owe the OP an apology. I certainly hope so!

No apology required, we all are a bit skeptical about Remington, I know I was.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:33 pm 
Presentation Grade

I know the market is skewed at the moment, but $500 for the hunting Express and $600 for the plain Jane tactical? Seems high to me.

Kygunco.com has been advertising imported pumps for less IIRC.

But it does appear Remington is back, and that's something I doubted would happen.

Sent from my SM-T727V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:42 pm 
Crown Grade

If RemArms has resurrected the 870 with maybe others to follow; they should rename their gun line the Phoenix Line since it will have arisen from ashes. I hope this is true.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:19 pm 
Crown Grade

clayflingythingy wrote:

I know the market is skewed at the moment, but $500 for the hunting Express and $600 for the plain Jane tactical ?

Seems high to me.

Kygunco.com has been advertising imported pumps for less IIRC.

No comparison, plus " buy American"...…………

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:40 pm 
Diamond Grade

The thing to remember about RemArms is that they purchased the factory and the tooling. If they have worked out an agreement with the employees they should also have a trained workforce. Sure, that workforce may not be all of the right people coming back to all of the right jobs to completely hit the ground running, but they have a big advantage to ease their way as they start back up.

If the shelves were picked clean, and personally I believe this to have been the case, buying raw materials is less of an obstacle than it might seem. They have the factory, they have the tooling, and they have the beginnings of a workforce that already knows how to turn those raw materials into a gun like the 870.

I wish them well. As I have said in the past, I expect them to make mistakes, they will make more. Some of those mistakes will be big, some very big. They have already made some mistakes by overpromising and underdelivering. Making those grand proclamations and not coming close to meeting those deadlines lost them a great deal of goodwill when goodwill was all that they had.

Personally I look forward to the return of the V3 as that is the gun that most interests me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Road Man wrote:
If the shelves were picked clean, and personally I believe this to have been the case, buying raw materials is less of an obstacle than it might seem. They have the factory, they have the tooling, and they have the beginnings of a workforce that already knows how to turn those raw materials into a gun like the 870.

Yes and no. A majority of Remington's firearm components are jobbed out to third party manufacturers. Stocks, chokes, springs, all of the small parts, ect. The only thing they were making in house were barrels and actions, everything else was done by a 3rd party and assembled at Ilion. So it's not a matter of just buying raw materials, its a matter of drawing up new contracts with ALL of those 3rd party suppliers (most of whom got stiffed hard by Old Remington), having THEM source the raw materials, then getting the parts produced and received, since Remington definitely lacks the capability of making all of their parts in house.

Which STRONGLY leads me to believe the prognostication that the shelves in Ilion were completely bare was 100% incorrect.

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

Skeet_Man wrote:
Road Man wrote:

Yes and no. A majority of Remington's firearm components are jobbed out to third party manufacturers. Stocks, chokes, springs, all of the small parts, ect. The only thing they were making in house were barrels and actions, everything else was done by a 3rd party and assembled at Ilion. So it's not a matter of just buying raw materials, its a matter of drawing up new contracts with ALL of those 3rd party suppliers (most of whom got stiffed hard by Old Remington), having THEM source the raw materials, then getting the parts produced and received, since Remington definitely lacks the capability of making all of their parts in house.

Which STRONGLY leads me to believe the prognostication that the shelves in Ilion were completely bare was 100% incorrect.

I seriously doubt Lions shelves were bare.....and neither were all of their suppliers. Remington's financial troubles were hardly a secret. It's entirely probable that old Remington's vendors had parts on the shelves that were never shipped because they knew there was a strong possibility of not getting paid. So the made em and at the last bell, decided not to ship. There's a million different possibilities. I'd wager some vendors had finished parts, some had WIP, others had raw materials and no WIP, and others had squat. Anyone who publicly stayed it it as an "All or Nothing" situation demonstrated a complete lack of experience in the world of manufacturing, particularly in the ordnance world.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:55 am 
Diamond Grade

I don't work in the firearms industry, but 30 years ago I worked for a company that was sold while I worked there. An inventory was done prior to the sale. My employer told us to remove almost everything that was not bolted down and they sold all of that stuff. None of those things were included in the inventory so the buyer knew that they were not part of the transaction.

When the new owner purchased the business it had already been picked clean.

It would not surprise me, based on my own personal experience as I have outlined, that the old Remington did their best to sell whatever they could before they filed for bankruptcy.

My old employer was not crooked, they were just trying to make as much quick cash as they could before they sold the company. Remington may have been doing the same thing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:01 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Road Man wrote:
It would not surprise me, based on my own personal experience as I have outlined, that the old Remington did their best to sell whatever they could before they filed for bankruptcy.

The question would then be be "where did it go"?

When Remington went offline, existing parts stocks from all known retailers and wholesalers dried up almost immediately. There was no wholesale liquation of any meaningful parts. CDNN got a camo 1100 20ga receiver, some 700 bolts, a few barrels, a handful of 700 and 870 stocks, and a couple chokes. An incredibly tiny percentage of the hundreds if not thousands of part SKUs Remington would have been working with. None of the other retailers/wholesalers/liquidators were showing anything unusual.

Much of the equipment (mills, lathes, ect) in Ilion was so outdated I suspected it likely would have gone for scrap weight at a piece-meal auction if one had happened. Ironically Ilion may get a SUBSTANTIAL upgrade (and likely an upgrade in output quality) if they moved all of Huntsvilles machinery there.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:26 am 
Crown Grade

The CNC machines at Ilion can belch out parts, they don't care who owns them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next