ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How old is too old for Silver Pigeon?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:36 pm 
Utility Grade

I came across a good deal on a Silver Pigeon, but upon investigating the serial number date, it appears that it was made prior to 1988.

This may seem like a silly question, but is there such a thing as too old?

This gun would be used for sporting clays. It appears immaculate, like someone bought it, used it a couple of times, cleaned it and then stuck it in a closet for years.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: How old is too old for Silver Pigeon?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:15 pm 
Diamond Grade

My 686 is from that time period, has been well-used in the field and at the skeet club and is in perfect operating condition; never needing parts or repair in the 30-something years I've owned it. The barrels still lock up with the lever at 5:30.

I wouldn't worry at all. If it looks immaculate, it likely is well taken care of. You could ask to have a gunsmith inspect it to ease your mind, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

desmobob wrote:
My 686 is from that time period, has been well-used in the field and at the skeet club and is in perfect operating condition; never needing parts or repair in the 30-something years I've owned it. The barrels still lock up with the lever at 5:30.

I wouldn't worry at all. If it looks immaculate, it likely is well taken care of. You could ask to have a gunsmith inspect it to ease your mind, though.

I Agree!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Age is not problem for a Beretta Silver Pigeon. You might want to check the weight and feel of a new gun and that gun. Then buy the one you like best. The only changes are in the barrels and chokes and in the fact that the newest checkering is a laser fake. The barrels on the newest guns tend to be lighter for the same length than the old ones.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:26 pm 
Limited Edition

I have a 1961 Beretta Silver Snipe I received from my dad when he passed away. He bought the gun new in 1961, I still use her, and she's as tight as when he bought it. I did put new firing pins and flat springs in her.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Age is nearly irrelevant in these guns. What truly ages any shotgun is care and use. If a gun looks pristine, it very likely was well cared for. How many hundreds, or thousands, or tens of thousands of rounds have been fired by the gun is a better indicator of how much life is left in it. Having said that, there is very little that cannot be easily repaired in a Beretta SP.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:09 am 
Tournament Grade

As already stated, age is not an issue with Beretta shotguns. All are well made and perform well for a long time. However, it should be noted that Silver Pigeons made before 1994 have some different mechanical features than the Silver Pigeon 686 series made after 1994. If and when parts are needed they may be a bit more difficult to obtain.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:12 am 
Crown Grade

MsMelissa wrote:
I came across a good deal on a Silver Pigeon, but upon investigating the serial number date, it appears that it was made prior to 1988.

This may seem like a silly question, but is there such a thing as too old?

This gun would be used for sporting clays. It appears immaculate, like someone bought it, used it a couple of times, cleaned it and then stuck it in a closet for years.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It will outlive you! Buy it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:57 am 
Crown Grade

Fatigue deteriorates steel. How much & how many times it has been flexed/strained matters, as well as the quality of the steel. Not so much how long it sat in a gun safe. There is no such thing as a silly question. Yes, time can take a toll in the form of corrosion & other things usually brought on by neglect which are detectable in most cases. Old?? From what you say that gun is barely broke in!! I don't know if a number has ever been put on how many times you can shoot a shotgun safely. I shoot an LC Smith made before 1913. It is solid as a dollar, although I do treat it more gently now. I have a Merkel made in the 60's I bought as NOS that is still stiff (not broke in). A competition shooter will shoot a gun more times in one year than most hunters shoot in a lifetime. If that gun is anything like my two Beretta 410's, I agree that it will outlast you as my 410s proofed in 1958 will outlast me!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:02 pm 
Crown Grade

1988 in gun years is still in it's infancy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:20 pm 
Limited Edition

MsMelissa wrote:
. . . is there such a thing as too old?

No, there isn't. You can buy an older Beretta without concern about its age.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:54 pm 
Presentation Grade

Of course, the proofs will tell you the date exactly.
I have a pre- Silver Pigeon 687 in 20 gauge, fixed chokes, that is one sweet gun.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:37 pm 
Limited Edition

My main target gun right now is a 1977 Perazzi MX8 30" bbl. Somebody will still be shooting it after I am dead and gone.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:35 pm 
Diamond Grade

Halwg wrote:
1988 in gun years is still in it's infancy

I have a Parker from 1891 and a Joseph Lang from 1866. I still shoot both regularly (with appropriate low pressure loads) and expect them to last the rest of my life and others after me.

Yep, a 1988 gun is a mere infant.

The age of a modern gun is not important - the condition is.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:03 am 
Tournament Grade

I have a 2002 that I think is kind of old but in reality it isn't any different than any other 1995-2018 686 SP.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:40 pm 
Limited Edition

Silver anniversary this year for my SP. 1995 12G 30".