ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Disassembly of Beretta 391
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:52 pm 
Utility Grade

Got it. Used magnet to move rear plate around as I moved stock back and forth.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:53 pm 
Limited Edition

Quote:
You can remove the trigger group with the bolt in or out, but it is easier to get the bolt back in if the trigger group is already out.

Put the safety on. Drive out the “trigger plate retaining pin” (part 30). This is the pin that goes through both sides of the receiver, above the front end of the trigger guard. Pull the trigger group forward a fraction of an inch - you will see a small gap open up between the back end of the “trigger plate” (part 73) and the bottom of the receiver. When new, you might have to hit it with the heel of your palm to get it to move. From this point with a new gun, it will help to get someone to hold the gun down while you pull the trigger group out. Press the bolt release button while pulling the trigger group forward and down. Putting the trigger group back in is just the reverse - remember to press the bolt release button while you put it in. After it has been out a few times, the trigger group will loosen up and it will go in and out easily

ok i have a question, if you elect to leave the bolt in when you do this, what keeps the bolt from slaming shut when you press the release button to remove the trigger assembly? my apologies if this was explained in another post and i missed it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Jim H wrote:
if you elect to leave the bolt in when you do this, what keeps the bolt from slaming shut when you press the release button to remove the trigger assembly?
Nothing. Just close the bolt gently before starting to take the trigger group out. Hold it back with the cocking lever or with the operating rod (the sleeve around the magazine) while closing it gently.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:14 pm 
Limited Edition

Seamus O'Caiside wrote:
Jim H wrote:
if you elect to leave the bolt in when you do this, what keeps the bolt from slaming shut when you press the release button to remove the trigger assembly?
Nothing. Just close the bolt gently before starting to take the trigger group out. Hold it back with the cocking lever or with the operating rod (the sleeve around the magazine) while closing it gently.

ah! ok i can handle that. it's just that your instructions have been so to the point, step by step, i was waiting to see what i was suppose to do. if it had said "if you elect to leave the bolt assembly in when you remove the trigger assembly, don't forget to gently release the bolt assembly and let it forward by hand" i would never given it a thought.
thanks again, and ignore my question in the PM

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:23 am 
Utility Grade

I have a 3901 RL for my wife. I am trying to adjust drop and cast. When I set it for 50 -DX on the shim, the rear plate matches fine. when I go for 65-DX, I can not get the rear plate to match up. Before you ask, Yes I do have the the numbers on the shim and plate matching.

Is there a trick to this or do I need to head on down to Briley?

Thanks,

~Emerson

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:28 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Do you have the the numbers on the shim and plate matching?

:lol:

Bruce

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:37 am 
Utility Grade

:roll:
There's always one...

:lol:

~Emerson

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

shenandoah wrote:
Before you ask, Yes I do have the the numbers on the shim and plate matching.
Yes, but are you lookiing at the shim and the plate from the same direction? A fairly common mistake is to look at the plate from the back of the gun (that's the only way you can see the numbers when it is in place) and look at the shim from the front of the gun (that's the only way to see the numbers if you stick the shim on the wood and then look at it.)

You have to look at both pieces from the rear, and make them match that way.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:22 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks Seamus. Unfortunately I am looking at them from the same direction. It is just barely off. I can see most of the bolt, but it will not move the last fraction to get it through the hole. I feel almost stupid having to take it in to get this adjusted.

Any other ideas before I take it to Brliey's?

Thanks,

Steven

~Emerson

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Without actually seeing it myself, I can't tell what the problem is - besides, as I have said many times, I am not a gunsmith, just an amateur.

Sorry I can't help.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:45 pm 
Field Grade

The 391 forend nut (Beretta calls it fore-end cap, part 55) is the most ridiculously over-engineered mechanism I have ever seen. It consists of 7 parts, only 6 of which show on Beretta’s parts diagram. The parts in the illustration will go back into the nut in clockwise order: the plastic bushing first, then the washer, etc, and finishing with the lock ring (snap ring). The thin ring in the 4 o'clock position in the illustration is the part that does not show on the parts diagram.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The forend nut on m Beretta AL391 was stuck. I have only shot maybe 1500 rounds. The gun is 8 months old. I finally got it off with pliers and elbow grease. Scratched up the outside of the nut.

Tonight, followed Seamus' instructions and bought snap ring pliers at Home Depot. Finally got the snap ring out and lo and behold mine had only 3 pieces inside. The snap ring, the spring, and the hooded piece. No washer, No plastic bushing. It was dirty inside, with gunpowder/carbon residue falling out.

Any thoughts anyone?

(BTW....I have already purchased a replacement OEM forend cap and plan on cleaning it regularly, now that I know how to disassemble it).

Beretta AL391 20 ga.
Beretta Silver Pigeon 20 ga.

Remington 1100 20 ga-sold.

Lifetime NRA member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am going to make a wild guess - that's about all I can do without actually seeing your forend nut for myself.

My guess is, the washer and plastic bushing are in there, but everything is so dirty and corroded that you can't see them. The plastic bushing is not visible anyway until you get the washer out, and the washer fits so tight in there that it will not come out when corroded.

Try this: measure the overall height of the nut, on the outside. Now measure the depth to the bottom inside. Subtract, and I'll bet it will indicate that the bottom of the nut is very thick. It actually is no thicker than the sides, but the plastic bushing and the washer take up a lot of space in there.

I think I've still got an old nut knocking around here somewhere that still has the washer and bushing in it - I never was able to get them out.

In Supplement 7 of the book, I made the comment that "When you take the cap apart for cleaning, you only need to remove the retaining ring, plunger and spring. The metal washer, plastic bushing, and stainless steel ring don't need to come out at all." What I didn't say is, it's a darn good thing those parts don't need to come out, because you may not be able to get them out, anyway!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:19 pm 
Limited Edition

http://www.briley.com/Beretta391Modular ... eight.aspx

just got one from briley, man are they nice.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

Seamus,

Great book! I read it cover to cover before getting the courage to completely clean the Teknys. I’ve cleaned my 1100’s hundreds of times over 40+ years, but heard the rumors of how difficult Beretta’s are to clean. It was a piece of cake with your manual, and not much more involved than an 1100. Thanks again

Domenic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:00 am 
Diamond Grade

Seamus:

I received my copy of your 391 disassembly guide two days ago and I have placed it in a position of honor in my gun and shooting book collection. Great job of writing and it makes keeping a 391 running and shooting soo much easier. Why the Beretta factory doesn't provide it's customers with a set of instructions as good as yours is really a sad commentary on how poor their customer support is.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:36 pm 
Field Grade

Just want to say I bought Seamus' book. I disassembled my 391 and reassembled it without a glitch. All I had to do was follow the steps in the book.
Thanks Seamus!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:47 pm 
Field Grade

Hi Seamus O'Caiside,

I just wanna thank you for your posts cause I probably would have screwed up like 50 million things when I first got my Gun and tried to put it together. I have a question about cleaning the piston. Could I use the breakfree CLP stuff in the gas piston and Gas Cylinder or would it be better just to use steel wool?

BTW I am in Love with my Urika 2 It has shot and ejected every round i've put through it. Had like 2 or 3 FTF's but it has been amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:48 pm 
Field Grade

Hi Seamus O'Caiside,

I just wanna thank you for your posts cause I probably would have screwed up like 50 million things when I first got my Gun and tried to put it together. I have a question about cleaning the piston. Could I use the breakfree CLP stuff in the gas piston and Gas Cylinder or would it be better just to use steel wool?

BTW I am in Love with my Urika 2 It has shot and ejected every round i've put through it. Had like 2 or 3 FTF's but it has been amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Whether CLP or any other solvent will do a good job will depend on several factors, the biggest of which is how often you clean it. If you don't clean it very often (I don't), the best way to clean the piston would be brush the sides with a brass brush (small or medium welder's brush) and chip the thick deposits out of the top with a pick (like a bent ice pick, available at Home Depot, etc). Don't bother trying to get it spotless - that is practically impossible, and not necessary anyway. A brass wire wheel on a small bench grinder will be very effective on the outside, but not really necessary.

Cleaning the inside of the gas cylinder is similar. I use a round pipefitter's brush (the kind used to clean bronze pipe before soldering) to clean the side walls inside. I forget right now which size I use on a 391 - it is different for different models. Again, the thick deposits in the bottom need to be picked out with a pointed tool, but you will never get it all, and don't need to.

Trying to get the piston and cylinder perfectly clean is an exercise in futility.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:08 pm 
Field Grade

Just got my hard copy in the mail. Thanks Seamus

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next