ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beretta 39__ identification (Urika, Xtrema, etc).
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:54 pm 

It seems there is always some confusion as to which model someone has or what the differences between them are. Here is a quick little guide to help identify these models.

390: The 390 came out around 1990. It can be had in both an angled and rounded receiver. The angled version is more popular. Average weight is around 7.5 lbs for a 12 gauge. They have flat ribs, and shims to adjust the stock. They have an automatic magazine cutoff, bolt lock lever (left side of receiver), and a cartridge release button at the back of the carrier. They hold four rounds total and cannot accept a magazine extension. The safety button is round in shape at the front of the trigger guard. They came in both W/B and B/S finishes and several barrel lengths in 12 and 20 gauge. The 390 uses the Mobil choke tube system

390 Wal Mart: This model is much like the original 390. It has an angled receiver only. Average weight is around 7.5 lbs for a 12 gauge. They also only come in a B/S finish with a 26” barrel for the 20 and 28” for the 12. The 20 is no longer offered. They don’t have a recoil pad but, rather a plastic butt plate. They do not have the bolt lock lever on the left side of the receiver.

AL391: The AL391 came out around 1999. They come in Urika and Teknys models. They are they same guns mechanically but differ in finishes. They have rounded receivers only. Average weight is around 7.3lbs for a 12 gauge. The AL391’s gas system is a little more involved than the 390’s and takes more time to clean. The forearm on the AL391 is also very thin. They have flat ribs, and shims to adjust the stock. They have an automatic magazine cutoff, bolt lock lever (left side of receiver), and a cartridge release button at the back of the carrier. They hold four rounds total and cannot accept a magazine extension. The safety button is round in shape at the front of the trigger guard. They come in W/B, B/S, and Camo finishes and several barrel lengths in 12 and 20 gauge. The AL391 uses on of three tube systems, Mobil, Optima, and Optima Plus. The Optima models are also over bored.

A391 Xtrema: The original model came out in 2002. This is a 12 gauge 3 ½” chamber model that is geared for water fowling. They have rounded receivers only and flat ribs. Their average weight is around 7.8 lbs. Its gas system is derived from the Franchi gas system which is a very simple design. Beretta owns Franchi as well as many other brands. This system is very easy to clean. It has its recoil spring around the magazine tube instead of mounted in the stock. This model also has a rotary bolt face. This helps the gun to be cleaned easier but, does add around 1 ½” of over all length over non-rotary bolt face models with the same barrel lengths. They have automatic magazine cutoff, bolt lock lever (left side of the receiver), and a cartridge release button at the back of the carrier. The safety button is round in shape at the front of the trigger guard. The come in either B/S or Camo finishes. Barrel lengths are 24” to 28” and take the Optima Plus tubes only. The gun has a larger feel to it.

A391 Xtrema 2: This model came out in 2005. It’s pretty much the same as the first model. The biggest change is the feel of the gun. The gun was slimmed down quite a bit over the first one. It’s still has a bigger feel but much less so than before. The Kick Off recoil reducing option is another notable difference as is the improved trigger pull. There are also a few other small changes between the two. Gun weight is down to around 7.6lbs on average.

3901: This model came out around 2002. The 3901 is basically a 390. It has a rounded receiver only. It does not have a bolt lock lever (left side of the receiver).

Post subject: re: Beretta 39__ identification.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Bravo! Worc, you have answered so many questions in the past on this general subject, it is great to finally have an FAQ on it! Well done.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:33 pm 
Diamond Grade

Location: Tom Green, Runnels, Coke and other counties out here
Add to the differences between the Xtrema and Xtrema 2 : The Extrema 2's pistol grip has a more open radius to allow a better fit to a gloved hand. Also, SUPPOSEDLY, Beretta improved the trigger mechanism on the Extrema 2 over the X1. This basically means that a barrel for the Xtrema 1 will NOT work on the Xtrema/Extrema 2, but the barrel for the Xtrema/Extrema 2 WILL work on the Xtrema 1.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:49 am 
Utility Grade

I have cleaned (completely) my new/used A 390. I dis-assembled, totally and boy, was it dirty! I even took out the spring in the stock. Also cleaned the checkering. What I thought was "buggered" up checkering was just full of dirt and grease.

But, again, I have a question. I understand that the A 390 had a steel receiver, and that the AL 390 has an alloy receiver.

Although mine is marked "A 390 ST", it has an alloy receiver. Is this common? Or do I just have an "odd" Beretta?

Any help you can give will be appreciated.

It seems to shoot well, and am taking it on a Men's Fellowship Dove Hunt this coming Saturday.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:17 pm 
Diamond Grade

To simplify identification between a standard or silver mallard 390 and the "Wal-Mart" version... refer to the picture below.

The top gun is a 390 "wal-mart" 20 gauge. Please note the abscense of the bolt locking lever.

The bottom gun is a 390 Silver Mallard, and aside from the engraving and gold trigger embellishments, the major difference is the bolt locking lever, found just aft of the fore-end, near the bottom of the receiver.

Both are very very good guns, and neither I, nor my fiancee can hit anything on a consistant basis with them... but don't blame the gun for the users' short comings. :lol: 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:38 am 
Tournament Grade

Worc,

Would you mind updating to include information on when the switch from Mobilchoke to Optima took place and which models can support Kick-off and have aquatech?

Thanks,
Ed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:54 pm 

Not quite sure on these three things. I think the Xtrema 2 is the only one with the AquaTech and the Xtrema II and Urika II have the Kick Off option. I'm not sure if it could be fitted to a few other models or not. Seems like a few of their models allows their stocks to interchange. I think it was 2002/2003 when they went from the Mobil choke to the Optima's.

Maybe someone who knows for sure could chime in as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks, that information matches what I have seen but I don't know for sure either.

Post subject: Re: Beretta 39__ identification.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:57 pm 
Field Grade

So what is the difference in performance? In terms of desire and in terms of resell value? I don't also quite understand why there are overlapping products (eg. urika designed for a hunter, teknys for competition???). Can someone explain the differences?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:36 am 
Tournament Grade

Worc (and others) -

To start, I was THIS CLOSE to buying a Remington/Baikal SPR 453 as my first-ever shotgun, but this forum (and some people close to me) raved about the Berettas.

I was directed to this thread when I asked the opinion of the forum on the decision.

(See: https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 04#1337204)

To Recap:

I shouldered the AL391 Urika 2 yesterday and fell in love with it. But the price ($769) was a little higher than I'm comfortable with (check that - higher than my WIFE of a mere 2 months is comfortable with!).

Someone suggested the Wal-Mart 390. My local Wal-Mart has one ($597), but I wasn't able to handle it last night.

I have some questions. (please keep in mind that i'm very much a newbie)

1) In the photos that cutEM05 posted, the missing component on the left side (just above where you load the shells into the magazine) is called the bolt locking lever. I thought that was the switch that you had to keep flush in order to keep the magazine feeding the rounds into the chamber (magazine cutoff switch). Or am I way off?

2) Ultra-stupid question: what service/function does the bolt locking lever provide?

3) Does the Wal-Mart 390 come with the same accessories (chokes, hard case, etc) as the 391 Urika 2?

Thanks in advance, guys...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That part is often called the magazine cutoff, and if I'm not mistaken Beretta used to call it that, but now they call it the cut-off or cut-off device. One page on the Beretta USA web site calls it cutt-off :lol: . Some people hate to hear it called magazine cutoff or even cut-off, because it doesn't have anything to do with the magazine and doesn't cut anything off: therefore they call it the bolt locking lever.

What it actually does is hold the bolt open while there are shells in the magazine. That makes it possible to unload the chamber without unloading the magazine, as when changing the type of shell in the chamber, for example. Some hunters consider it useful, but most hunters and virtually all clay shooters consider it as useless as tits on a boar hog.

The WM 390 comes with 3 choke tubes, a choke tube wrench, and the usuall owner's manual. At least mine did - one contributor to SGW recently said he looked at a couple of them and they only came with one tube. They do not come with stock adjustment shims, but shims are available as parts from Beretta USA or other dealers. They come in a cardboard box, no hard case.

Post subject: Re: re: Beretta 39__ identification.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

Zac Crawford wrote:
Quote:
I think it was 2002/2003 when they went from the Mobil choke to the Optima's.

This sounds about right. Don't fail to mention that the different models with Optima barrels are equipped with different types of choke tubes. Some are equipped with the standard "Optima" chokes, and other models are equipped with "Optima-Plus" chokes. They are not interchangeable.

I recently purchased a NIB 390 B/B (USA) with a barrel (Italian) date code of 2007 and it is equipped with Mobil chokes.

In the box: Zero shims, 3 chokes, one choke tube wrench and a manual for the Italian made AL 390.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The 390 and 3901 still use MobilChoke.

I doubt that it is any cheaper to make MC bbls and tubes than to make Optimas, but Beretta needs some justification for charging more money for the latest and most expensive models.

Post subject: Timeline
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

Maybe this isn't the purpose of this thread, but this is what I've pieced together

In the 391 world, there are three model names "Urika", "Teknys", and "Xtrema." The newest versions have a suffix of "2" and feature minor improvements.

1999: AL 391 Urika introduced (some books say as a 2000 model year)
2001: Overboring added as option(?)
2002: Xtrema introduced (3.5" chamber), last year for Urika Gold
2003: Teknys introduced, all Urikas "Optima-Bore" overbored
2005: Xtrema2 introduced
2007: Urika2 introduced, has self-cleaning piston, Xtra-wood introduced

"Gold" Trim is upgraded cosmetics, including deluxe checkered walnut and gold finish highlights on receiver.

I haven't figured out how Teknys was suppose to be different the Urika. Xtrema is the 3.5" chamber, but Urika and Teknys are both 3" chamber (in 12g).

Post subject: Re: Timeline
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:11 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

davandron wrote:
I haven't figured out how Teknys was suppose to be different the Urika. Xtrema is the 3.5" chamber, but Urika and Teknys are both 3" chamber (in 12g).

The difference between Urika and Teknys is just a matter of cosmetics. However, the Xtrema is a completely different type of action. Manufacturers would normally give the Xtrema a different model number, but Beretta calls it a "391 Xtrema" in order to get a marketing advantage from the good reputation of the "real" 391. They even went to some trouble to make the Xtrema look a little like a real 391.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:06 am 
Field Grade

Glad i found this thread. I just purchased a beretta shotgun on the side is the fancy scrolling and the numbers
A 390 ST everywhere I look is describe the AL390 what is the difference in the A390ST I have been told it stands for steel and I have been told it stands for super trap which I am pretty sure this is not a super trap model. I have gotten many different opinions on what the ST stands for you all seem to know all the numbers here pretty well.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Redwolf, the L in AL390 means it is a lightweight version. Most 390's are the L version. The A390 was introduced in 1994, and the AL was introduced in 1996. The AL is "almost one-half pound lighter" according to company literature, and the weight reduction was made by changes in stock dimensions, use of aluminum alloy rather than steel in the fore-end cap, and perhaps a few other small changes.

I don't know what ST means, but I am pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with steel or with trap. It might relate to the shape of the receiver at the back - either semi-humpback or rounded. My guess is it refers to the semi-humpback shape. Which type is yours?

Another possibility is that ST means "Standard". I know that the WalMart 390, which has the semi-humpback receiver, is described on the factory box as 390 Standard, but the letters ST do not appear on the gun or on the box.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

Jim, I bought a Wal-Mart 390 last Tuesday. There was a hang-tag in the box marked "A 390 ST". When I registered the warranty it was described as a "390 Standard".

BTW, I was a bad boy and did not clean it before shooting. I ran about 45 rounds of 3" 1 1/8 oz high-speed steel loads and 15 rounds of 1 1/4 oz heavy field loads for break-in - chosen because they are types and shot sizes I don't use anymore.

I followed these with 5 of my 1 oz light target loads and 5 of my 7/8 oz target loads. To my great delight there was narry a mis-feed from any. I will have to shoot a lot more of my 7/8 oz target loads before I can say how reliable it is with light loads but the fact that it fed 5 each of the 1 oz and 7/8 oz loads gives me the beginnings of the "warm fuzzies" about this gun.

And thanks for your book again, it has been most helpful to me maintaining my wife's 303 and now my 390.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:44 pm 
Crown Grade

Redwolf wrote:
Glad i found this thread. I just purchased a beretta shotgun on the side is the fancy scrolling and the numbers
A 390 ST everywhere I look is describe the AL390 what is the difference in the A390ST I have been told it stands for steel and I have been told it stands for super trap which I am pretty sure this is not a super trap model. I have gotten many different opinions on what the ST stands for you all seem to know all the numbers here pretty well.

The original '90s-vintage 390ST models had a steel magazine tube, which provides more forward weight than an aluminum magazine tube. The 390ST was available in a "Sport" grade - the trap and super trap models may or may not have also been ST models.

It is possible Beretta now uses the ST designation for something else entirely.

Post subject: Re: Beretta 39__ identification (Urika, Xtrema, etc).
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:34 am 
Tournament Grade

In 1992 Beretta (According to my 1992 Beretta Firearms catalog) brought out the A390ST Semi Auto line replacing the famous Beretta A303 Semi Auto line, before that the A302.

The 300 series of Semi Autos for Beretta has been a continual updating and improving of the AL series of Beretta’s from the 1960’s imported by the famous Garcia Co.

The A390 ST came in Standard, Deluxe and Slug versions, I can’t find anywhere what the ST stood for or represented but I don’t think it stood for Standard.
The standard weight of a A390 ST was 7lbs 9oz.

In 1999 Beretta introduced the AL391 Urika in at least 12 different versions or models, including a Lightweight Field version at 6lbs 9oz, all the other AL391’s were approximately 7lbs 3oz, or 6oz lighter than the A390 ST…..

I have most of Beretta’s Firearms catalog’s back to 1985 and a couple of Garcia’s from 1969, 1970.
I also Have R.L. Wilson’s History of Beretta Firearms but the catalogs are a better resource IMO.

Any information I post here is from those catalogs.

I will be pleased to assist anyone here with information from those catalogs regards your Beretta shotgun, just ask …..