ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: re: Beretta skeet vs cylinder
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

There is really nothing wrong with my factory Chokes other than the fact the Constrictions are off somewhat. They Shoot ok.
I just like knowing if I put in A IC Choke the Choke I put in has exactly .010 Constriction. The Factory Chokes Can not do that for me so I don't use them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:38 pm 
Limited Edition

Don't need them anyway. Maybe I'll sell some bands. Hadn't thought of that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:17 pm 
Crown Grade

Crazy Disc, I like the question. It looks like the thread has been veered pretty far away from it, though. I too would like to see some real empirical data on patterning of negative constriction versus zero constriction versus slight positive constriction in chokes. I don't have anything to add at this time, though.

It is a shame patterning on paper is such a time consuming effort. I wonder how well the steel plate and paint patterning setup works; not just for pattern center, but also for counting. I was thinking, shoot the pattern and take a digital pic to analyze later, re-paint and shoot again. I think some members of my gun club would go bonkers if they saw me shooting at a steel plate.

Jeremiah

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

I contacted Beretta customer support and this is what they said about their chokes:

"Thank you for contacting Beretta Customer Support.

The Beretta Optima Sporting SKEET (International) choke tube measures .730" ID (+, - .002") and is more open than the Optima Sporting Cylinder (C ****) choke tube which measures .732" ID (+, - .002"). SKEET International chokes do produce a wider pattern than a Cylinder choke. Beretta Optima Sporting barrel bores measure between .732" and .735" ID (+, - .002"). The SKEET Optima Sporting choke can be used with any commercial shotshell loads with plastic wads. Fiber wads are no longer used in commercial factory loads.

If you have follow up questions or need further assistance with this issue, please update this incident.

Best regards,
Jim Gerondakis
Beretta USA Customer Support"

So, they claim the Euro Skeet choke produces a wider pattern than Cylinder. I don't have the energy to write again and ask why. They must believe the negative constriction works.

Post subject: Re: re: Beretta skeet vs cylinder
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:12 am 
Presentation Grade

Magnus sport wrote:
I have some Factory Optima Extended Chokes like new, I will sell the set of 5 for 100.00
Reason for selling none of them measure the constriction they are listed at.
They are anywhere from .003 to .010 off.
I ordered A new set from Angle port for 125.00 for A set of 6 Cobra spreader,cyl,sk,ic,lm,mod
They measure exactly as they should. My 391 Gold Sport Optima measures .732 and they make their chokes to the Bore.

This must be your pet peave since you've written about it before.

Frankly, I agree with Old Fart's response to your post entirely. I see too many people fussing with choke tubes before shooting a station and then blameing their misses on their selection when in fact, it was poor shooting and nothing else.

Having choke tubes that are not exactly the right degree of constriction is not uncommon or unique to Beretta. I usually measure my tubes to see how close they are and sometimes mark the degrees of constriction on them with a felt pen. Then I just go shoot and don't worry about it too much. If there's a target at 40 yards distant, I have a hard time judging if it's 35 or 45 yards, so if I'm out a little in my tube selection, it dosn't matter since I don't know the exact distance anyway.
When in doubt, better too tight than too open, but the key to breaking the target is not choke tube selection!

Post subject: Re: re: Beretta skeet vs cylinder
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:42 am 
Tournament Grade

This must be your pet peave since you've written about it before.

Frankly, I agree with Old Fart's response to your post entirely. I see too many people fussing with choke tubes before shooting a station and then blameing their misses on their selection when in fact, it was poor shooting and nothing else.

Having choke tubes that are not exactly the right degree of constriction is not uncommon or unique to Beretta. I usually measure my tubes to see how close they are and sometimes mark the degrees of constriction on them with a felt pen. Then I just go shoot and don't worry about it too much. If there's a target at 40 yards distant, I have a hard time judging if it's 35 or 45 yards, so if I'm out a little in my tube selection, it dosn't matter since I don't know the exact distance anyway.
When in doubt, better too tight than too open, but the key to breaking the target is not choke tube selection![/quote]

Actually Bob It is more A personal preference of mine if you are happy with your chokes being off that is your business.
All I know is my 6 new Angle Port Chokes are Made to the Bore diameter of my 391 which is .732 and all of them measure exactly as they should. except the spreader Cyl=0 SK=.05 IC=.10 LM=.15 Mod=20 Like I told Oldfart it is my 125.00 and my Business, Just like it is yours to shoot Chokes that don't match the Bore as they should. This is poor quality control on Beretta's part seeing how my Ceasar Guerini's all measure as they should.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

Fair enough.

I like the Angle Port's I have too but I'm not unhappy with the Beretta Optima chokes I have either.

I have two Optima tubes that measure .003 inches different than my .732 bores while all the rest are not out more than .001 inches.
I have some Brileys that are also out .001 as well.

I'm happy with that.