ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue May 18, 2021 2:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 686 light strike issue
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

I just purchased my first O/U and I'm ecstatically happy with it. I bought a 5 year old (roughly 2,000 rounds) 686 white onyx from a friend. I shot maybe 20 rounds of trap with it and on one Sunday I pulled the trigger and it went "Click". I pulled the shell out, looked at it, and tried again. after 3 tries, I put it in the lower barrel and it went "Bang". I tried different ammo (STS, AA, and some Winchester super X) and it didn't work. It showed a primer strike, but it was week.

I figured it was just dirty so off came the stock for the first time and it looked very clean, but I still removed the top firing pin (and sent springs a fly'n) I saw no issues and put it all back together correctly. I went to the range, loaded up a box of Universal and hit 24 of 25. no "clicks", only "Bangs" WOOHOO, I fixed it. well......

The next day I took it back to the range for another run and got 3 "Bangs" before I got the "Click" again. Right then and there (I was shooting STS) I switched ammo to AA and still got the click. I'm stumped. Is it possible I'm not opening the action enough to cock the hammer all the way back? How can I check to see if I'm getting a good solid primer strike without putting a live round in the chamber? (I live in the city). Any suggestions would be so appreciated.

Post subject: Re: 686 light strike issue
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

That happened on my 686, but after 12-15,000 rounds. Had it sent back to Beretta and they replaced some springs, firing pins etc. Believe that cost $250.
Yours is a lot newer though, sounds early for it to be worn to need parts replacement. I am stumped.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

This happens fairly often with Browning Citoris, in the bottom barrel. The fix with the Citori is typically a new (slightly longer) firing pin and hammer spring set. Those parts would cost you less than $50 if you do the work yourself.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

I would believe hammer spring IF my cleaning hadn't worked perfectly for 28 rounds and then total failure again.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Well, you can start with a new firing pin for less than $15. Personally, I'd probably order the hammer spring assembly, too, and keep the old one as a spare - or send the new one back unused if all the gun needs is a new firing pin.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

Pending any other suggestions to diagnose the problem, I think that's what I'll do.
Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Had it happen to mine. It was a lack of oil on the little round cocking rods that run along the receiver to the forend. When the hammer falls it has to move these rods back into place and if they are dirty or dry it takes some of the energy away from the hammer drop. I am told that only somtimes can you clean and oil them enough without taking them out. I got mine fixed up okay. I bought mine used, it had sat a while, and I did not know to oil those rods. Or you might have to send it to Coles and let them clean and fix it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

Went shooting today. I think I fixed the problem! Because it's a relatively new gun it's tight and hard to open. I think what I was doing is: not opening the action ALL the way and thereby half cocking the upper hammer. When I was frustrated with it not firing and switched to the lower barrel, I HAD to open it all the way to get a shell in. Today I was sure to open the action to the point of ejection of the shell. Violla!!!! It fired every time.

Thanks for all the suggestion.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Glad you got it figured out.