ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 32 or 30 inch barrels
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

claypigeon wrote:
Shot 2 rounds of skeet today in pretty windy conditions here in northern, MI, but in the 50s F. Aside from the 32" barreld 391 not fitting my soft case without removing the extended Victory choke tube I was pleased with the result: 23 - 25. Now this could be the common phenonema where you shoot better the first time with a different gun, but hope not. Anyway, so far the added 4" from my other barrel did not seem to hurt me. I am 6' 2', at least before I started age shrinking, with an armspan more than my heigth, so maybe the extra length is right for me.

For skeet barrel length doesn't make a difference. We're talking 21 yards here. Give yourself credit. The good shooting is you.....not the gun. Also a 32" semi is AT LEAST as long as a 34" O/U...probably longer.

For sporting clays or maybe trap on some shots, yes, 32" will probably be preferable for most people on long, controlled shots where muzzle control is paramount. The difference is slight though. More than anything they add extra weight and balance. And.......they are MUCH MUCH easier to re-sell down the road.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

If you shoot semiautos, a 30" 390 or 391 will equal the length of of a 32" over/under. Likewise a beretta semiauto with a 28" barrel will be the same length as 30" o/u. If you have a benelli, the difference is greater, eg. a 26" benelli will equal a 30" o/u in length.

If you mainly shoot sporting clays and trap, go with the 32" o/u. You won't regret it down the road.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:41 am 
Tournament Grade

it's interesting that most people on here prefer the 32". I have a SPI and I went to the shop ready to but a 30" but when I held the 32" it felt more steady in my hand so I went with it. I'm still getting used to it and my only concern is that although I find tracking the target to be more smooth/ less jerky with the longer barrel, the increased length makes rapid acquisition more difficult. Perhaps this is why skeet shooters trend to shoot <30" barrels. I'm still pretty new with the gun so I've got room to learn and BTW I'm only 5'1" 155 bls. I think if I were 6'3" and >200lbs it would be less unwieldy. Still I'm glad to hear the 32 sells better as a used gun should I ever consider getting a new shotgun.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:04 am 
Tournament Grade

I was in the same delima as you this past summer. I bought the 32's and am glad I did.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

With no question, get 32" , you will not regret it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:17 am 
Limited Edition

Long barrels 32 even 34 inch are the current trendy thing to have just like porting was a few years ago. In a while, when everyone has long barrelled guns, the marketing boys in the big companies will start to convince you all that shorter barrels swing faster, point better, kill harder make you more attractive to the opposite or even the same sex and are the must have if you are to be at all successful at your chosen clay target discipline. The fact is that barrel length from 25 inch to 32 inch is of very little significance to a good shot. If your confidence is based on what the marketing men tell you (today) and if you like how they feel go for the long barrels. But if you want to be ahead of the trend (and like how they feel) go for shorter barrels.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:50 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It's all about balance and feel, forget the sight radius BS. I have a 32" DT10 that has 6 ounces of Ian's weights on it that I shoot mainly for sporting clays. I often warm up on the skeet field and shot a 24 with it the other day. There was a guy selling an older Citori Grade VI Skeet there. It was older and a little beat, but still solid and serviceable and might be very attractive after a stock refinish. Anyway, he said they were 26" barrels, so I really wasn't interested, but picked it up and was surprised by how good it felt between the hands. (Older O/U's tend to have heavier barrels.) I remarked as much, and took a closer look and realized it had 28" barrels -- it just looked shorter because of the chunky big beavertail fore-end. Anyway, it's LOP was a good 1/2" shorter than what I normally shoot too, but by moving my forehand farther forward I could get it to mount okay. Today 28's aren't very popular for resale, even on a skeet field, but it felt pretty darn good on me so I asked to shoot a round with it. And I shot a 24 out of the gate with it. Yeah, it's sitting in my safe now.

Point is, IMHO your choice should be made on fit and feel.

Happy shooting!

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:52 am 
Limited Edition

Good for you Jack! You have just given a fine example of the point I was trying to make. For sporting clays I shoot a 30 inch Prevail III but for hunting I use a 26 inch Webley and Scott sxs or a 27 inch Garbi sxs. Last week I used my Garbi for four days shooting rabbits with just under a hundred in the bag by the end. At the weekend I used my Prevail in the NZ South Island championship sporting clays and won both my grade and the veterans prize (if I don't blow my own trumpet nobody else will:-)
The point is surely that what matters is not barrel length but having a shotgun in your hands and using it!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:44 pm 
Diamond Grade

I currently own a 30" 682 Gold E, but am buying 32" because i want more weight out front. I'm also buying those barrels used at a good price. If you still haven't found a gun by now, PM me since you live in york we could go to Central Penn and you can see how both feel.

-BCS

NSCA # 606314
682 Gold E sporting
687 EELL 20/28 GA
391 Gold sporting
870 wingmaster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:19 pm 
Presentation Grade

Location: Palookaville, NJ. Birth place of municipal corruption.
32" all the way. I shoot skeet, trap and sporting clays with my 32". I'am 5'10" and don't find it to be too long at all.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:59 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for the offer beretteclayshooter, I did buy the 32 in the silver pigeon last winter and love it, my 12 year old grandson also uses it on occasion instead of his 20 ga. o/u and does just as well with it. Amazing to me considering the Beretta is just about as tall as he is! Got what I thought was a great deal from Shydas, they did have to order it in but only took 10 days.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:38 pm 
Utility Grade

I am trying to decide on a 30 or 32 inch silver pigeon 3 20/28 combo set. I shoot a lot of sporting clays (fairly new robot but want to get into registered shoots) but also wanted to be able to use it to hunt and the occasional skeet. I have always liked the sporting palm swell feel and shotgun on the heavier side. Any suggestions on the 30 or 32 inch that could be used for clays and quail and upland hunting? As of now I am leaning towards the 30.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

Skeet_Man wrote:
Beretta barrels are extremely light, much more so than any other mfg in the same barrel length. Go w/ the 32", and you still might end up needing to add weight to them.

not if you like a light weight whippy gun........the Italians are known for making light weight lively barrels.

Barrel weight is not for everyone. But to the OP get the 32's and if you truly do wanna add weight, you can check out extended chokes and try that and see what you think.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"