ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reversing the Safety on A400 for Left-Handed Shooters
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

In response to a post I made a year or two ago, I periodically get PM's and emails asking how to reverse the safety on the Beretta A400 shotguns. As the popularity of this shotgun has grown, the number of inquiries has increased, so I decided to post the procedure here.

You may have found an easier or more efficient way of reversing the safety, but here's how I do it:

1. Remove the trigger assembly -- follow instructions in owner's manual. (Make sure gun is unloaded and the hammer is cocked in accordance with instructions in the manual.)

2. Use a metric Allen wrench (1.5 mm) to loosen the set screw on right side of trigger housing while blocking the hole in the front of the trigger assembly that is next to the "carrier pin." The carrier pin is the silver button (may be black on camo guns) used to release shell from magazine and/or used to reactivate the bolt "hold open" feature when the bolt is closed and the trigger is still cocked. Loosening the Allen screw will release the spring-loaded pin that retains the safety, and it (the spring) will fly out of the hole if you fail to block it with your thumb.

3. As soon as the spring is released by the Allen screw (you'll feel it against your thumb), stop loosening the screw, BUT continue to block the hole/spring with your thumb to keep it from falling out.

4. While blocking the hole/spring, remove the safety "button," swap it "end-for-end" and re-insert it into the trigger housing.

5. To replace the spring, use a small punch or very small screwdriver to push down on the edge of the spring until it is depressed far enough to allow the Allen screw to be tightened back into place (without hitting the spring). Failure to depress the spring sufficiently will result in damage to the spring when the Allen screw is tightened.

6. Reinstall trigger assembly, as shown in owner's manual.

Post subject: Re: Reversing the Safety on A400 for Left-Handed Shooters
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

https://shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=301627

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:48 pm 
Utility Grade

Dawg23,

Thanks so much for taking the time to list the procedure to flip the safety. I actually took my A400 to the gun shop I bought it from to have them reverse the safety but the didn't know how...
Anyway, I followed your procedure and voila!
thanks a lot!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:30 pm 
Utility Grade

Pumps are my favorite action-type for turkey guns, because in the excitement of shooting a turkey I can run to it with my gun in hand knowing it is safe with a just-fired shell in the chamber. But, I still have two more shots in the magazine if I need them. I like this particular gun because the 18 1/2-inch barrel is easy to maneuver in brush, and the short stock is handy, too. If I shoot my favorite Federal Heavyweight 3-inch No. 6s through the H.S. Undertaker choke, I can reach out to almost 50 yards with this gun—and have a couple of times.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:16 am 
Tournament Grade

This works great, thanks. As a safety measure to prevent losing the spring, I would place the trigger assembly inside a 1 gallon ziplock type freezer bag during the disassembly. If the spring gets loose, it will be contained in the bag. Also, if you push the carrier release and let the carrier drop down, it will block the hole for the spring during the disassembly.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:13 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi there. I just tried this on my new A400 Xtreme, and the screw came all the way out without releasing anything. Tried it with carrier stop push button depressed and not depressed, trigger pulled and not pulled, and nothing with a spring is trying to pop out, and I can't pop out the safety either. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

-Holly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:20 pm 
Utility Grade

Figured it out, but for what it's worth, the spring never popped out - I kind of had to prod it. OK, it never popped out until I was trying to put it back in, at which time it shot across my living room floor and I spent a desperate 10 minutes trying to find it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:55 pm 
Utility Grade

DAWG23,

THANKS FOR THE DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS. I READ THEM 3 TIMES WHILE LOOKING AT THE ASSEMBLY JUST TO GET 100% READY FOR THE JOB. WHEN I ACTUALLY WENT INTO IT IT ONLY TOOK ABOUT 2-3 MINUTES SINCE I DIN'T HAVE TO GO LOOKING FOR THE SPRING. EASY IN- EASY OUT. AGAIN, I APPRECIATE THE HELP.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:14 am 
Utility Grade

Hi,

Is there a possibility that someone could post a video on how to change the safety from left to right?

I am worried that if I disassemble the trigger that I will not be able to do the right thing.

Many thanks,

J

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

FYI-Beretta will be introducing a left hand A400 very soon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:03 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks Dawg23 that really really helped me man. and LaPlata my grandfather gave me the gun so I'm not complaining about the situation it just would be nice to have the added in ease of being able to not have to reach around the gun to take it off safety.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:29 am 
Utility Grade

@ctv98. I'm a lefty and swapped the safety on my a400 so that I no longer have to reach around. There are a few very good youtube videos on how to. Very easy and well worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:38 am 
Utility Grade

I just purchased an A400 extreme and I am left handed. This was the best thread to advise me how to reverse the safety. Fwood's post about using a one gallon freezer bag was priceless. I put the trigger assembly in the freezer bag and thought I had my hand over the spring and it sprung out in the bag anyway. Fwood is a genius in my mind and I hope he gets this feedback. USE A 1 GALLON FREEZER BAG THAT FREAKING SPRING IS TINY!!! Thanks to all on this thread that helped. I also reversed the cast in the stock to a lefty and changed the drop in the stock since I like a flat shooting gun and used the 65 SX shims. SX= left hand cast and 65 is a drop of 65 mm I think. The higher the # the flatter it shoots due to more drop. The gun now comes up great and fits me perfect. Duck season comes in the 25th in IL and I can't wait to try it out.

BOB

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:40 am 
Field Grade

Here are the instructions from Beretta, with photos:

http://www.berettasupport.com//apps/rnt/A400SafetyReversalInstructionV3.pdf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

NorCal Cazadora wrote:
Hi there. I just tried this on my new A400 Xtreme, and the screw came all the way out without releasing anything. Tried it with carrier stop push button depressed and not depressed, trigger pulled and not pulled, and nothing with a spring is trying to pop out, and I can't pop out the safety either. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

-Holly

I've done quite a few of these conversions and often times the spring does not pop out.
Especially at first. To guarantee that it does pop out, just forget to block the hole. You'll know it popped out when you hear it hit the wall. This same procedure works on many Beretta autos including the a300. I just did one last week that I had to fish the spring out of the hole. Many times I think the hole for the spring and detent will have polymer burrs
which will prevent the spring from popping out. But rest assured, it's in there.