ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New 694 Owner... Questions!
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:51 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi everyone, first post here. I just picked up a 694 LH 32" B-Fast to replace my older Citori Lightening Sporting clays edition gun.

While I love the 694s palm swell and fit to me so far, I'm a bit unimpressed with the stock fit to the receiver. It seems like all the joints are bulky.

Is this common?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: New 694 Owner... Questions!
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:55 pm 
Field Grade

yes

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The wood is traditionally left proud to allow for refinishing in 75 years or so.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:38 pm 
Diamond Grade

Is there a gun that doesn’t have that?

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:07 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks everyone. I just wasn't used to seeing that. My Citori is much more flush than that, as is my Winchester 101. That being said, I don't think they're accounting for refinishing down the road either.

I appreciate the feedback!

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

I sincerely doubt it's related to refinishing in the future. It's got to be much easier to make the wood proud than to actually try to get a perfect fit.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:38 am 
Tournament Grade

birdhunter39 wrote:
Is there a gun that doesn’t have that?

I have a Browning Sporting Clays edition where the wood has a 100% perfect fit. However it was picked up used and I had to refinish it because the previous owner didn't know how to block sand a stock when he re-finished it. It was the waviest piece of wood I've ever seen on a gun. So after being re-finished TWICE this Browning has a wonderful fit. Good news for me is at 66 years old I expect I won't ever have to re-finish this Browning again. As for it's next owner, he'll either have to apply some solid wood veneer or purchase a new stock if it ever needs to be re-finished.

Point is that fit you are complaining about now will be a real positive in 20 or 30 years when you tired old finish is due for a strip and re-finish.

PS; I just realized that my Browning is a Sporting Clays Lightning. Always wondered about the Prince of Wales stock on my Browning and your post gave me the explanation for that somewhat rare variant. I won't accuse you of being the idiot who did such a poor re-finish on my Browning, I picked mine up 2 years ago. However I will warn you that you may miss that Browning because mine is a perfect fit for me.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:00 am 
Utility Grade

Oh, my Browning isnt going anywhere. Its a fabulous gun. My wife recently took a shine to Sporting clays, and shoots the gun very well, so She stole it.

Honestly, I don't think I have ever sold a gun...

The more I look at the stock, honestly, I am enamored with the grain and pattern, so Im sure the fit issue will go away soon.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:07 am 
Crown Grade

birdhunter39 wrote:
I sincerely doubt it's related to refinishing in the future. It's got to be much easier to make the wood proud than to actually try to get a perfect fit.

I agree 100% {hs#

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:53 pm 
Field Grade

birdhunter39 wrote:

Yes, it is probably much more cost efficient to set up the machines to produce stocks which are always somewhat proud, rather than having the machining tolerances occasionally produce an undersized stock requiring scrapping.

The refinishing angle is of real benefit, though. Recently saw a K-80 combo for $7k, and couldn't help but notice the wood was receded from refinishing.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

birdhunter39 wrote:

Gun stocks today are CnC machined. If Beretta wanted to do a perfect flush fit that is simply a matter of re-programming. Guns that are used do get beat up and and when they get too ugly they do get re-finished. BTW I have a Browning Sporting Clays Lightning that I paid just 600 dollars for because it was in severe need of a refinish. Something that I actually enjoy doing.