ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Beretta Optima HP Chokes
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:33 pm 
Diamond Grade

sts90 wrote:
Quoting John H on this form. here please look at link below from Beretta's website. You will notice what I did that the labeling is not what it seems but the math will...

This is the basic choke constriction chart published by Beretta - its on the Beretta usa site under FAQ

http://berettausa.custhelp.com/app/answ ... ptima%20hp

The stated facts:
Optima HP Bore .732
EU Skeet: 0.759 = -0.027 ie blunderbuss/ diffusion (pulled from optima table since bore is same)

Cylinder: 0.728 = 0.004 which is hair less than skeet

IC: 0.719 = 0.013 this about a Muller U2 at 0.012( http://mullerchokes.com/pages/faq) hair less than LtMod favored choke on Sporting Field.

Mod: 0.712 = 0.020 Finally Currently Expected Constriction

IMod: 0.707 = 0.025 nail on the head correct.

Full: 0.695 = 0.037 That is very tight full choke... no wonder my A400 Xcel and 692 did not come with it.

I will say this to be clear so I don't get flamed, this is what it is suppose to measure. We all know mass production QC is not perfect. However this information helped me make some important choices. For sporting, I bought another IC factory choke. I will run the pair from now on unless the targets are : A) in my face ie: small office trash can range or B) out there ie: " go go gadget binoculars"

I hope this helps you make a more informed choice for dove hunting. It helped me with sporting.

I sell quite a few Beretta's to customers and your post mirrors what I see in real world performance of Beretta's factory chokes. I have always told them that Beretta IC chokes tend to shoot tighter than many other companies factory IC chokes. Thanks for posting the actual constrictions.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

Hello: I would just like to add that the Optima Euro Skeet choke actually measures 0.730" at the smallest inside diameter. Making it a 0.002" constriction. Like I stated this is for Optima chokes and is the actual measurement. Thanks, Eric

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:55 pm 
Crown Grade

You guys are measuring these internal choke tube diameters with this type of caliper, right?

Not one of these (below), correct? They have flats on the measuring blades (upper left of below photo) which will lessen the reading of a curved surface.

This is the only type of caliper I have, I don't think I can use it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:03 am 
Crown Grade

My new 686 Sporting came with five Optima HP choke tubes; Cylinder, Skeet, Improved Cylinder, Modified, and Improved Modified.

The skeet choke is marked "SK", so is it European Skeet, or American Skeet?

Based on the info above, is my Cylinder choke actually tighter than my Skeet choke? That chart in the link to the Beretta website shows "N/A" for the measurements of both Skeet USA and Skeet European.

On the skeet field I've been using the CYL tube for the closer incoming clays and the SK tube for the outgoing clays, thinking SK was tighter than CYL. Maybe not?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:46 am 
Crown Grade

I think I found my answer on this website. I see this has been batted around for many years...

http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/beretta-choke-tube-optimachoke-hp-flush-12ga/c620/

The table indicates the Skeet choke is more open than the Cylinder choke. I assume note (2) applies to the SK USA choke. At least they seem to list them in tight to open order, top to bottom.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:00 pm 
Crown Grade

If anyone has any comments on my post above, I'd appreciate any insight. I still find it hard to believe the SKT choke is more open than CYL.

I did shoot them today, reversing my barrel selector, shooting the CYL at the distant targets and SKT at the closer targets, the breaks did seem a little better - but it's probably just my wishful thinking.

This is using the factory, flush Optima HP chokes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:23 pm 
Crown Grade

I measured my factory 12 ga Beretta flush-mount Optima HP chokes using an optical micrometer. Looking down into the choke tube, I measured just past the ends of each tube. The edge creates a shadow I can measure from.

Here are my readings. Note the last column is the difference from .742, not from my reading.

Based on this, the SKT choke really is tighter than the CYL choke.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:25 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm not sure which choke to choose between optima hp +2" and +3/4"

- http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/beretta-choke-tube-optimachoke-hp-plus2-12ga/c622hp/ and
- http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/beretta-choke-tube-optimachoke-hp-plus3-4-extended-12ga-al-band/c6213/

I have A400 Xplor Unico with factory optima HP flush tubes and would like to buy 2 additional chokes (EFull and IC). Extra full can only be found as +2" version.

Should I go for Beretta extended (+2 or +3/4") or maybe buy a Briley? (which specific model?).

Any recommendations? Xfull will be used for turkey hunting and IC as all around choke, trap and occasionally some rifled slugs too.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:31 pm 
Diamond Grade

For the turkey choke I would go with the longer choke length. This seems to make a difference in pattern consistency with larger pellets. Turkey, long range waterfowl, and buckshot chokes are an area where I always lean toward longer aftermarket chokes like Kicks, Comp n choke, or Pure Gold.
The Beretta IC choke works very well as an all around in the shorter version. Some of my shooting partners and customers use the Briley. With great results.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:29 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks! Yes, I was looking for extended chokes, especially for turkey. Will get extra full.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:35 pm 
Diamond Grade

Some chokes for turkey get down way past extra full. I know Pure Gold turkey chokes come in .660 or .670. That is a lot of constriction. Extra full is usually around .035. The above chokes are .063 and .073 constriction given that the Optima Hp bore diameter is .733.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:50 pm 
Utility Grade

I just called Beretta to order 2 optima HP chokes, one +2" black extra full and the other one is extended silver +3/4" - IC. I asked the sales person for some discount listed at their website and he wasn't very friendly. Same chokes can be found cheaper at other websites anyway. I must say I'm very disappointed with Beretta USA representatives so far. Just spent ~ 2k$ at the Beretta gallery, New York and I feel Home Depot sales people are much more polite and respect you as a customer when you buy a 5$ product.
I have to say Beretta online support was really good compared to their sales people.

Anyway, I decided not to buy Beretta chokes and called Briley.
Ordered Briley Optima (HP) Extended Black Oxide Choke
Extra Full - .040"
Improved Cylinder - .010"

I asked for more expensive chokes (spectrum and similar) and they recommended these.. They said it's basically the same choke, just without the color band.

Do I need a choke wrench for Briley extended chokes or I could use the factory Beretta wrench and/or my hand to install them?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:40 pm 
Crown Grade

I think you just hand tighten extended chokes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:16 pm 
Diamond Grade

You can just hand tighten I am not sure if Briley extended chokes have notches for a standard choke wrench. Also a speed wrench with the expanding rubber insert works well. But hand tightening is easy. For my Pure Golds I just hand tighten. In the event one gets stuck where I can't turn it by hand, I use a long allen wrench, stick it in one of the ports and out thru another port, and can usually turn it with no problem.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:24 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks! :)

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:03 pm 
Crown Grade

Does anyone know if Beretta publishes measurements for their Optima HP chokes? I found this page, but it doesn't list the HP.

http://estore.beretta.com/en-eu/documen ... oke-tubes/

Also, the bottom of this page seemingly lists the HP chokes in order of constriction, but most say the Optima HP CYL choke is tighter than the Optima HP SKT (USA) choke.

Sure wish Beretta would publish expected numbers on these things.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:50 am 
Utility Grade

Check the Beretta support and the Q/A:

http://berettausa.custhelp.com/app/answ ... il/a_id/43

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:59 pm 
Crown Grade

Thank you caniky... but the question remains.. I wonder why they skipped over the SKT US and SKT EU numbers? Those are the ones I'm most wondering about. LM specs are not provided either.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:08 pm 
Utility Grade

Compared to Beretta USA awfull sales team, their online customer support seems to be great, at least from my experience. I suggest you ask a question at their support website and I'm sure they'll answer in a day or two.

Link:
http://www.berettasupport.com/service/p ... estion.htm

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:12 am 
Crown Grade

Thanks! We'll see what they come back with.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next