It is currently Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A400 cleaning
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Does anyone clean the exhaust valve assembly on the A400

How often, what is a good tool to use for dis assembly

I've never had a problem but one of the guys at the club has after 4-5,000 rounds

thanks

logguy

Post subject: Re: A400 cleaning
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:21 pm 

I'd do it at least once a year or right after the gun gets really wet. A good hook wrench would work well. There are also tools that you can buy from gun part stores made for removing this nut.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:45 pm 
Field Grade

33logguy

Contact Jim Bellegarde of Cole Gun. His email is address is Jim Bellegarde <[email protected]>.

He can tell you all about maintaining the exhaust gas valve. Cole Gun makes a spring kit for the A391 which also works for the A400 - the kit comprises two gas valve springs (one lighter than the factory spring and one heavier). This allows you to adjust the amount of gas pushing on the piston, thereby obtaining proper "bolt speed". They also make a "wrench" (actually a socket) which fits the gas valve nut to allow for easy removal of the nut. The socket is a bit pricey.
If you're just a shooter, you probably don't need any of this. If you like to tinker with your gun, this may be a worthwhile investment for you.

Talk to Jim, he's the expert.

Good shooting. George

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:06 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Here's a tool kit for that purpose:
http://www.standardamericanproducts.com ... unkit6.htm

I haven't bought one and would probably devise my own...if and when the time comes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:12 am 
Crown Grade

If you ever run into Mike Sherman from PMS, I believe he carries that same kit.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

You can make one out of a 15mm 12 point socket if my memory is correct.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:38 am 
Presentation Grade

The manual says NEVER DISMANTEL THE EXHAUST VALVE ASSEM. R U SAYING IT IS OK TO TAKE APART AND CLEAN LIKE THE 391? Ron

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:41 pm 
Field Grade

The folks at Cole Gun say that Beretta just doesn't want anyone but themselves or their service centers to mess with the gas valve for liability concerns. I remove the gas valve myself, and if you know what you are doing you'll cause no problems. But, I guarantee you that there are people in this world who shouldn't operate a wheelbarrow, much less mess with the A400's gas valve.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:03 pm 
Crown Grade

vonrichthofen wrote:
The folks at Cole Gun say that Beretta just doesn't want anyone but themselves or their service centers to mess with the gas valve for liability concerns. I remove the gas valve myself, and if you know what you are doing you'll cause no problems. But, I guarantee you that there are people in this world who shouldn't operate a wheelbarrow, much less mess with the A400's gas valve.

"You can't fix stupid."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

Yes the manual says not to disassemble the gas spring pressure relief valve. BUT, it does easily come apart and is very similar to a Beretta 391, but with fewer parts. Once you do ir or see it done you'll wonder why in the world they ever asked you not to. The first time I removed the nut it might have been pretty tight, but now it comes apart exactly as you would expect it to. It's definitely faster and easier to disassemble and reassemble than a 391, especially if you have the "Valve Wrench" (actually more of a socket) attached to a cordless screwdriver-like tool.

One source for the wrench (socket) is https://www.shop.colegun.com/products/3 ... lve-wrench

That link includes the text:

Cole's Custom Gas Valve Wrench
To be used with 391, A300 Outlander and 12g A400 (not compatible with A400 Lite) model Berettas.
NOTE: Cannot be used in 3 1/2" chambered models