ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tru-oil over existing SP1 oil finish
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:58 am 
Field Grade

I have a one year old silver pigeon 1, and as most can attest, the finish is average at best. I have tried some lemon oil and not seeing much improvement.

If I am going to go the tru-oil route for a little more of the hardened shine look, do i need to sand down the stock or it should soak it up as is? There are no imperfections to sand, and most of the lemon oil has absorbed deep into the grain, so I wouldn't be able to sand that out, obviously...

Any experiences folks have had that could help?

Post subject: Re: Tru-oil over existing SP1 oil finish
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Look around this site & you’ll find some pictures & recommendations. Lotta folks using Watco Danish & Minwax Antique finish with good results. Most seem to prefer them over Tru-oil. They seem to be more oil & less varnish.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:56 pm 
Limited Edition

Try Joel etchens website. He sells a product to apply to Beretta oil based finish. Mike

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:38 pm 
Crown Grade

I went all out on the boiled linseed oil route and ended up with a better than factory finish, but not that much better.

I used odorless mineral spirits and 0000 steel wool to get the wood very smooth, then let it dry overnight. This lightened the wood, slightly.

Then I began applying boiled linseed oil daily, rubbing a small amount in by hand. First application was literally painted on, it soaked it up quick. Last few applications only used a few drops.

It's darker now, seems more resilient, but I'd prefer it to be a polyurethane gloss.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:04 pm 
Field Grade

ive just done my SP1 but i used french polish,and its come up very nice.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:10 pm 
Crown Grade

Before you even think about putting on a new finish you must get all the old finish and contamination off the wood. You need bare clean wood. Mineral spirits work. I lightly scrubbed mine with Dawn dish detergent and vinegar mixed 50/50. Let dry for a week. Then Tru Oil. No sanding. Knock down the gloss with 0000 to desired shine.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:41 pm 
Field Grade

lt0026 wrote:
Before you even think about putting on a new finish you must get all the old finish and contamination off the wood. You need bare clean wood. Mineral spirits work. I lightly scrubbed mine with Dawn dish detergent and vinegar mixed 50/50. Let dry for a week. Then Tru Oil. No sanding. Knock down the gloss with 0000 to desired shine.

Exactly the info I was looking for, thanks!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:28 pm 
Utility Grade

It0026's advice is spot on!

I only wiped down with mineral spirits and the finish took fine. I used Minwax Antiquing Oil. Very easy to work with. The first coats I applied and wiped off using lint free clothes to build up thickness The final two I actually hand rubbed in like you do with Tru Oil.

I was very pleased with the results. You can keep applying until you get the sheen you prefer. I went until I got a mild shine.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:47 pm 
Limited Edition

Any downside to leaving the factory finish alone, and/or just doing a refinish when it gets worn out?

Or is it better to apply a top coat when new?

I'm considering a new 686 Sporting...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:10 pm 
Crown Grade

The existing finish is just unprotected oil rubbed. I got a few rain drops on mine and it streaked pretty badly. It would be good to get some kind of finish on there. Personally, I prefer a waterproof gloss.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

I use Howards Feed n Wax available at Home Depot in stain section. I had to sand down my comb to remove a deep scratch, and put a couple of coats on and looks brand new.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:41 pm 
Field Grade

DallasCMT wrote:
The existing finish is just unprotected oil rubbed. I got a few rain drops on mine and it streaked pretty badly. It would be good to get some kind of finish on there. Personally, I prefer a waterproof gloss.

go with my post above it does come up very nice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:06 pm 
Limited Edition

Excited to I have a new SP1 Sporting headed my way and will be looking to augment the finish.

Do you generally leave the wood on, or disassemble first?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:11 am 
Crown Grade

I remove the forearm but leave the stock on. I need to buy a wrench to remove the butt stock, just haven't yet. I've got the same gun.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:32 am 
Limited Edition

DallasCMT wrote:
I remove the forearm but leave the stock on. I need to buy a wrench to remove the butt stock, just haven't yet. I've got the same gun.

Thanks Dallas this is not a minor purchase and in doing research, your posts have been very helpful!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:31 pm 
Limited Edition

On my SP1, I followed Cole's recommendation and used Watco Danish oil. Cleaned the stock and fore end with mineral spirits, then applied 5 coats of oil. the result was beautiful, and the biggest surprise was how easy it was.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:21 am 
Limited Edition

I applied the Howard Feed-N-Wax, first thing after I got her home yesterday--I've read that Joel Etchen recommends it for the SP-1. Basically wipe on, let sit at least 20 minutes, wipe off excess. I must say it added some lustre and brought out a little figuring hiding in the mostly plain wood.

Wouldn't a finish in nitro cellulose be the best? Yest it will get some checking and crazing years down the road, but the (I am assuming here) nitro finish on my '67 Auto 5 feels wonderful and is clear as the day it was made.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:40 am 
Field Grade

It's really pathetic that Beretta puts such a worthless finish on these guns. Not knowing any better I rubbed Birchwood Casey Gun Wax on to mine. It looks better but the bad areas still show. Now I do not feel comfortable striping it with mineral spirits and reaplying a new finish.

About what would a professional charge to do a basic job like this for me?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:00 pm 
Diamond Grade

My wife shot in the rain and destroyed the finish on her sp1. I redid it with minwax antique oil finish. It came out better than new. Was an easy finish to apply.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:17 pm 
Field Grade

scstrain wrote:
It's really pathetic that Beretta puts such a worthless finish on these guns. Not knowing any better I rubbed Birchwood Casey Gun Wax on to mine. It looks better but the bad areas still show. Now I do not feel comfortable striping it with mineral spirits and reaplying a new finish.

About what would a professional charge to do a basic job like this for me?

pm sent