ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tru-oil over existing SP1 oil finish
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 7:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

Not sure if you saw this but here’s my review of Timberluxe.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... Timberluxe

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 7:54 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Well is sounds like you have a plan. Let us know how it goes.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpenters-Custom-Gunstocks-LLC/378909012204503

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 9:35 am 
Diamond Grade

Cc let us know how it goes and post a pic when you can if you get a finish you are looking for.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 10:48 am 
Utility Grade

Patently Obvious wrote:
Not sure if you saw this but here’s my review of Timberluxe.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... Timberluxe

Oh yes I saw it. Very few results come up when googling Timberluxe, so thanks for posting!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:57 am 
Utility Grade

Litespeed wrote:
I'm currently working on a Joel Etchen Signature Beretta 687 All Around EELL with beautiful wood. From my winters work on my older, but not often used, Beretta 390 I have a distaste for Tru Oil. Since my Berettas have a thin oil finish I just wanted to add some protection and oil to add some Pop to the wood.

On the 390 I put a coat of 100% Tung Oil with a brush and let it set 3-4 hours then wiped it off and added another coat the next day, the next day and so forth until I had eight coats. Before the Tung Oil the wood had a faded look, like an old car that had been left in the South Texas sun for years on end. The Tung Oil really brought out the figure that was just not apparent before. It looked great, but then I (foolishly) decided maybe to add a bit of shine with TruOil, which I hadn't used before.

After reading articles and viewing videos I did just as directed but could never get a smooth finish. Yes, it was shiny but also a disaster. Stripped it off and tried again with the same crappy results. Will wait a few months before stripping it off again and starting over using just Tung Oil. I SHOULD have just put some Howard wax over the Tung Oil for a bit of a shine as I generally prefer the satin oil finishes on some Italian guns over the Glitter-Like-The-Mouth-Of-Hell finish on Browning guns. Personal preference.

I now have four coats of Tung Oil on the Etchen Beretta and it has added a depth to the EELL wood that is very pleasing to the eye. I'll put on 2-3 more and then let is sit for a week or so hardening up before using the Howards for a last bit of shine and buff. Tung Oil doesn't dry as much as it hardens. Tru Oil is more varnish than oil. Good if you like super shiny but I regret using it now. I have used Lin-Speed in the past with good results, but TruOil is a different animal.

I’m going to pre-appologize for the novel but I want to get this right. I’m looking for advise from the community here as I don’t want to mess up my 2 Berettas. I have a 690 Black and 694. Both have the oiled finish but the 690 is starting to dull because I shot it last winter and I think it has weathered a bit. I don’t want these gun stocks to dry up or crack or warp or “insert terrible thing”.. I’ve done some reading in many forums and I think I’ve come to the conclusion that I want to follow this procedure of Tung Oil and Howards Wax to finish my two stocks. I’m going for a Satin type of finish that pops the grain. I don’t mind the color of wood going a bit darker, no worries there. Here is what my plan of action is and would really appreciate some feedback.
I was planning on using Finico 100% pure Tung oil mixed half and half with Finico Citrus solvent to thin the first 2 coats. Then apply the next 4 coats full strength. To prep the gun stock I was going to remove all hardware (unless you can without but I’m guessing this is not the proper way). Then wipe down the wood with the citrus solvent to remove all previous dirt, oils, etc. Then a light rough up with 800 grit on the stock/forend, not the checkering. Then cover all the wood in Half/Half mix including the checkering. Wipe down after 20-30mins. Let dry for 24 hrs. Repeat steps again for second coat. Moving into the third coat I was going to tape off the checkering as to not fill it in but have it sealed by the first rounds of half/half Tung oiling. Then the light rough up and apply the pure Tung oil, wipe dry in 20-30mins and dry for 24hrs for the last 4 coats. Then I imagine is where the Howards will be used but unfornately I was unable to find anyone using this wax. Do you just use this stuff like any other wax, wax on, wax off? Also the Howards here in Canada is Howards Feed-N-Wax Wood Preserver (Beeswax/Orange oil)??? Same stuff?