ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tru-oil over existing SP1 oil finish
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:09 pm 
Limited Edition

This is what I applied over the crappy finish on mine. Make sure it's the oil-based wipe-on poly, not the water based in a black plastic can.

The results were spectacular

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:37 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have to clear up a misconception. Wiping a stock with this Beretta finish down with mineral spirits DOES NOT strip the finish. Have no fear. It just cleans it. Doing this and using oooo steel wool and Watco Danish Oil will return the wood to the way it looked when you bought your SP1. You can add additional coats by wiping it on with a rag and buffing it dry with a soft cloth.

This process in no way is an equivalent to a total strip and refinish of your stock. That process it very involved and should only be done a couple times in its lifetime.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpenters-Custom-Gunstocks-LLC/378909012204503

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:21 am 
Tournament Grade

I applied three coats of danish oil to my 686 Sunday. It really made the wood grain pop.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

Has anyone applied the danish oil without removing the stock? Just using masking tape or something on the receiver?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Watco is pretty thin so it will run under tape. Since you are just dampening a spot on a rag you can apply it carefully without getting it on the metal. But that may be more work than it is worth.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpenters-Custom-Gunstocks-LLC/378909012204503

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:31 am 
Field Grade

can anyone post up some pictures of maybe before and or after, and or what the stock wood looks like now after applying some of these products and doing the work.

NSCA#620844
Muller Mafia Member
Regarde l'oiseau

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:47 am 
Utility Grade

I own 2x Beretta 682 LTD, a 687 SP3, DT10L, DT10 eell and a Guibileo 2 ...

All have XXX or better wood ( that's why I bought 'em ) and all, except the Guibileo have 'cheap' sh*tty wood finishes.

A moment in a rain shower and I'm left with a spotty /streaky stock.

I've tried CCL, Feast Watson Furniture polish, Gilly Stephenson Orange oil, Howards Lemon oil and a Canuba wax preparation; none of which adds the sort of lustre and protection that I want / is needed.

Am guessing I should pursue the True oil or polyuethane sort of finish.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:18 am 
Utility Grade

Could the ideas mentioned here also work for the wood on am A300 sporting? The idea of just using mineral spirits to clean it up and then tru-oil seems like a pretty simple process.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:16 pm 
Utility Grade

I bought a 686 recently, and I started with several coats of Watco Danish Oil. It made the wood look better, but I was still a little worried about water resistance.

I ended up putting some Waterlox Satin finish over the Watco, and I'm really happy with the results. The Waterlox is a tung oil blend, and went on smoothly over the Danish Oil. I've gotten brave enough to pour some water over the stock, and it beads up like a freshly waxed car should.

This shotgun will spend time in the field, and now I'm not worried if I get rained on a bit.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:13 pm 
Utility Grade

Sorry to revive an old thread, but seemed appropriate since its the same subject.....

Just purchased a 694, and after reading about how bad the factory Beretta oil finishes are, and being stuck in the house with all the virus stuff going on, I decided to try to add some coats of Tru Oil. The literature on the 694 says its an oil finish, so figured this would work. Also wanted to add a little more shine to the stock, as it was a very light satin at best out of the box. Now I have a mess.
The first several coats did not seem to penetrate at all when first applied, but overnight, I think at least some of it might have. The forend in particular is somewhat "striped," and the oil continually dries dull over the darker stripes, as if they're more porous. I've used 0000 steel wool between some of the coats, bringing it back to uniform flat look, then reapplied, but it continues to do the same thing.
Another issue is drying. The stock seems to dry within the first few hours, but the forend is still sticky 24 hrs later? Both were applied as thin as I could, so no idea why they're drying so differently? First coat was applied in temps in the 50's, yesterday I applied with temps in the 80's, and it got sticky before I could even coat the whole thing, so did not go on smoothly.
At this point, I wish I hadn't messed with it! Only way to get a uniform appearance now seems to be with the steel wool, but that makes it purely matte, which is NOT what I was after.
I would love to get a uniform finish a bit shinier than the original satin, but would be fine getting it back to original. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! I may end up just taking it to someone. I've read that it can take lots of coats, so maybe I should just keep going??

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:49 pm 
Field Grade

I'm currently working on a Joel Etchen Signature Beretta 687 All Around EELL with beautiful wood. From my winters work on my older, but not often used, Beretta 390 I have a distaste for Tru Oil. Since my Berettas have a thin oil finish I just wanted to add some protection and oil to add some Pop to the wood.

On the 390 I put a coat of 100% Tung Oil with a brush and let it set 3-4 hours then wiped it off and added another coat the next day, the next day and so forth until I had eight coats. Before the Tung Oil the wood had a faded look, like an old car that had been left in the South Texas sun for years on end. The Tung Oil really brought out the figure that was just not apparent before. It looked great, but then I (foolishly) decided maybe to add a bit of shine with TruOil, which I hadn't used before.

After reading articles and viewing videos I did just as directed but could never get a smooth finish. Yes, it was shiny but also a disaster. Stripped it off and tried again with the same crappy results. Will wait a few months before stripping it off again and starting over using just Tung Oil. I SHOULD have just put some Howard wax over the Tung Oil for a bit of a shine as I generally prefer the satin oil finishes on some Italian guns over the Glitter-Like-The-Mouth-Of-Hell finish on Browning guns. Personal preference.

I now have four coats of Tung Oil on the Etchen Beretta and it has added a depth to the EELL wood that is very pleasing to the eye. I'll put on 2-3 more and then let is sit for a week or so hardening up before using the Howards for a last bit of shine and buff. Tung Oil doesn't dry as much as it hardens. Tru Oil is more varnish than oil. Good if you like super shiny but I regret using it now. I have used Lin-Speed in the past with good results, but TruOil is a different animal.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:41 pm 
Utility Grade

Sounds like exactly what I’m dealing with. After reading tons of posts, I was so confused on whether to go Linspeed, Tung, or tru oil that I finally just picked one. Like you I just wanted to add a little more depth to the wood, and maybe a little more shine, but definitely didn’t want high gloss. Brand new it was barely a satin finish. I'd almost call it matte, but there was a tiny bit of shine.
How did you strip the tru oil?

Last edited by cc66 on Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:46 pm 
Utility Grade

Here's another example of where it seems like its either soaking in more quickly, or just drying faster than the non "striped" areas. Can't get the camera to show it very well.
I put the stock and forend a few feet away from a small space heater over the last few hours, and the stickiness has almost entirely gone away.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:53 pm 
Diamond Grade

I wonder if the tru oil is softening the previous finish. I think any oil finish would catalyze and not very friendly to another oil finish placed on top of it.

I’ve never tried putting anything with solvents over a previous finish. I imagine tru oil contains solvents of some sort.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I do not consider Tru-oil to be an oil finish. I think it is some sort of varnish in a slow oil drying medium. My use of it has been with coats so thin you can barley tell they are there, rubbed on by hand. And days or weeks between coats. I do not put on another coat until the previous coat is dry enough to sand. Never steel wool for me now. I have not tried it over a previous finish. I did have a stock that retained some sort of oil or solvent after it was stripped and sanded and had a hard time getting it dried and finished. It sat in a sunny window sill for weeks at the time. I have also used Tru-oil to coat bamboo fishing rods and the guide wraps. That experience reinforced my opinion that it is a varnish type finish. But for me a Tru-oil finish is weeks and months. The instructions that come with it are just plain wrong in my experience. I have used it on gunstocks, handgun grips, bamboo fishing rods, lathe projects, and small wood working projects for a high gloss.

From a raw stock Truck-oil makes a magnificently clear finish that highlights the grain and can be as glossy or as satin as you desire. I much prefer the gloss on figured wood. It is like looking through a magnifying glass when you get it right.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:44 am 
Utility Grade

Bill M. wrote:
I do not consider Tru-oil to be an oil finish. I think it is some sort of varnish in a slow oil drying medium. My use of it has been with coats so thin you can barley tell they are there, rubbed on by hand. And days or weeks between coats. I do not put on another coat until the previous coat is dry enough to sand. Never steel wool for me now. I have not tried it over a previous finish. I did have a stock that retained some sort of oil or solvent after it was stripped and sanded and had a hard time getting it dried and finished. It sat in a sunny window sill for weeks at the time. I have also used Tru-oil to coat bamboo fishing rods and the guide wraps. That experience reinforced my opinion that it is a varnish type finish. But for me a Tru-oil finish is weeks and months. The instructions that come with it are just plain wrong in my experience. I have used it on gunstocks, handgun grips, bamboo fishing rods, lathe projects, and small wood working projects for a high gloss.

From a raw stock Truck-oil makes a magnificently clear finish that highlights the grain and can be as glossy or as satin as you desire. I much prefer the gloss on figured wood. It is like looking through a magnifying glass when you get it right.

Thanks Bill, sounds like you’ve got a lot of experience with it. Frustrating that the directions make it sound so simple, but many other posts I found said the same thing you did. The worst part is how the stock seems to dry super fast, and the forend won’t dry for days!! Different pieces of wood I guess?
My main question now is whether I can just steel wool it back to a smoothe matte finish and apply watco or Tung oil? Feeling awful that I jumped into this on a perfectly good brand new and expensive item! Honestly I’m brand new to shotguns, got bitten hard by clay shooting, and with the world shut down just wanted to do something to hang around with the gun! Pretty ridiculous.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:04 pm 
Field Grade

cc66 wrote:
Sounds like exactly what I’m dealing with. After reading tons of posts, I was so confused on whether to go Linspeed, Tung, or tru oil that I finally just picked one. Like you I just wanted to add a little more depth to the wood, and maybe a little more shine, but definitely didn’t want high gloss. Brand new it was barely a satin finish. I'd almost call it matte, but there was a tiny bit of shine.

How did you strip the tru oil?

I just used a spray on stripper called Kleen Strip (if I remember correctly) which says it will remove multiple coats of varnish. I got it at Lowe's. The stock had three coats of Truoil which is tough stuff to remove.

I sprayed it on (outdoors with chemical resistant gloves) and let it sit for over an hour then first scrapped off the mess off with an old plastic putty knife then used Scotch pads to remove most of the rest. The checkering got a good brushing with a stiff plastic grout brush. I had to repeat the process on a couple of small spots. Then thoroughly washed the whole thing off with water and let dry. Lightly used 0000 steel wool to smooth then wiped the whole thing with a napped cloth saturated with mineral spirits.

My problem is that the fore end of the 390 came out almost perfect with the Tru0il, although with more shine than I like. It had two coats. I'm hesitant to remove the metal furniture on it to strip it as well. If not for that concern about the fore end metal I would have stripped it as well, redone with Tung Oil and Howard wax and be done with Truoil.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:37 pm 
Field Grade

McFarmer wrote:
I wonder if the tru oil is softening the previous finish. I think any oil finish would catalyze and not very friendly to another oil finish placed on top of it.

I’ve never tried putting anything with solvents over a previous finish. I imagine tru oil contains solvents of some sort.

Truoil is compatible with other oil finishes, although I think it is more varnish than linseed oil. Doesn't soften existing oil finishes. I asked Matt at Joel Etchen guns if using Truoil, tung oil or lineseed oil would be best. He said any would work since Beretta puts on a very thin oil finish or in his words "not much at all".

Tung oil is different from the linseed oil products, which I have used in the past such as Lin Speed or plain boiled linseed oil. Tung oil soaks into the wood and chemically hardens rather than just drying on the surface. Here is a bit of info from a website:

[i]"Tung oil is very popular today because of two properties: first, it is natural or "green" product when it has dried.[citation needed] Second, after it cures (5 to 30 days, weather/temperature related), the result is a very hard and easily repaired finish, so it is used on boat decks and now on floors.

The oil is often diluted with hydrocarbon thinner so its viscosity is very low and enables the oil to penetrate the finest grain woods. This thinning vehicle evaporates within 15 to 20 minutes and results in a totally green residual finish. When applied in many fine/thinner coats over wood, tung oil slowly cures to a satin "wetted wood" look with slight golden tint. Tung oil resists liquid water better than any other pure oil finish and does not darken noticeably with age and is claimed to be less susceptible to mold than linseed oil.[11]

Most important, of all the oil finishes, tung oil is the only drying oil that polymerizes 100% (completely hardens). Linseed oil, for example, never completely hardens (Litespeed: I doubt linseed oil never completely hardens but have no proof).

Since tung oil has become popular as an environmentally friendly wood finish, some products labelled as "tung oil" are actually blends containing other oils, varnishes, solvents, or chemical driers, and may even containing no tung oil at all. Products labeled Danish oil may be tung oil or they may be polymerized linseed oil. The product packaging will usually clearly state if it is pure tung oil".
[/i]
I use Hope's 100% Tung Oil bought from Amazon but there others as well. I actually bought some Watco which says Tung Oil on the package but noticed before using that it had "Indoor Use Only" on the back. What use is that on a field shotgun?

Before using on my 390 I practiced Truoil on an old American walnut gun stock and learned that pores have to be completely filled in to look decent. Not the case with Tung oil. In fact none of my Beretta shotguns have had the pores completely filled and the plain satin oil finishes look great on them. Personal taste of course and I'm not a woodworker with a lot of experience.

As already mentioned, I think Truoil is more varnish than oil. In my limited use it is difficult to get spread over the entire butt stock because it is drying so fast. For a person with experience it is probably very good for producing a tough shiny finish, but for someone like me who has done maybe 10 stocks over the past 25 years it has been a difficult and exasperating experience.

Last edited by Litespeed on Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:47 pm 
Field Grade

OP, congratulations on your new Beretta 694. It's a beautiful gun and is on my wish list. I've watched several video reviews from shooters I have some faith in and everyone likes the 694 a lot.

Last week I was on Joel Etchens site and he had a few 694s in stock. One had gorgeous wood like your own and I almost picked up the phone to tell them I would take it, but had to leave the house with my wife to run some errands. When I returned it was no longer listed. Bummer.

I hope you get you stock finished to your satisfaction and that you shoot your new Beretta in good health.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:53 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the info! I went ahead and pretty aggressively went after the parts with the 0000 SW again this morning, so everything is pretty flat again. After rubbing down with paint thinner, the forend and comb are almost back to their original appearance, but the main stock has a cloudy look now. Very weird since the adj comb is just a piece of the same wood cut out of the stock! I guess it was easier to apply the tru oil more consistently since it’s so small.
No idea where to go from here. Try to polish what’s on there with rubbing compound? Try some watco or Tung oil, or take the stripper to it and start over? Orrrrr take it so someone who knows what they’re doing!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next