ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beretta A300 Outlander Re-assembly Issue
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:27 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi,

I disassembled my A300 today for cleaning and, when removing the breech bolt assembly, I somehow managed to pull the trigger...
I know, I'm an idiot... safety should've been on... :oops:

I pulled the trigger assembly, cleaned it and re-cocked the hammer. After cleaning and oiling the gun, I installed the breech bolt assembly back in the receiver, making sure that the push pin is on the plunger, installed the cocking handle, and then the trigger assembly, with the trigger cocked and safety on.

I am unable to cock the gun - the breech bolt assembly does not travel very far before I feel a firm stop.

How do I go about getting things operational again?

Post subject: Re: Beretta A300 Outlander Re-assembly Issue
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

baconz wrote:
Hi,

I disassembled my A300 today for cleaning and, when removing the breech bolt assembly, I somehow managed to pull the trigger...
I know, I'm an idiot... safety should've been on... :oops:

I pulled the trigger assembly, cleaned it and re-cocked the hammer. After cleaning and oiling the gun, I installed the breech bolt assembly back in the receiver, making sure that the push pin is on the plunger, installed the cocking handle, and then the trigger assembly, with the trigger cocked and safety on.

I am unable to cock the gun - the breech bolt assembly does not travel very far before I feel a firm stop.

How do I go about getting things operational again?

Try pushing in on the carrier stop button just in front of the trigger guard. If that doesn't do it, try this.

Remove the trigger assembly. Stand the butt of the unloaded gun on your workbench with the muzzle pointed up. Pull the bolt handle fully to the rear and then carefully ease it back to the closed position. Make absolutely sure that the bolt travels the entire distance both rearward and forward as it should. If it doesn't, you may have installed the connecting rod upside down. Make sure the gun works properly at this stage, then proceed to the next step.

Cock the hammer on the trigger assembly. Apply the safety. Press in on the carrier stop button. Insert the trigger assembly into the receiver. Insert the retaining pin into the receiver and through the hole in the trigger assembly. Everything should work. It may help to press in on the bolt release button on the side of the receiver when installing the trigger assembly.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:17 pm 
Utility Grade

Ulysses wrote:
Remove the trigger assembly. Stand the butt of the unloaded gun on your workbench with the muzzle pointed up. Pull the bolt handle fully to the rear and then carefully ease it back to the closed position. Make absolutely sure that the bolt travels the entire distance both rearward and forward as it should. If it doesn't, you may have installed the connecting rod upside down. Make sure the gun works properly at this stage, then proceed to the next step.

Thanks for the reply Ulysses!

This is exactly what I'm having an issue with. I removed the trigger assembly, and when attempting to pull the bolt handle fully to the rear, it moves about half an inch, and then stops dead.

What do you mean by installing the connecting rod upside down?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:42 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

baconz wrote:
Ulysses wrote:

Thanks for the reply Ulysses!

This is exactly what I'm having an issue with. I removed the trigger assembly, and when attempting to pull the bolt handle fully to the rear, it moves about half an inch, and then stops dead.

What do you mean by installing the connecting rod upside down?

It sounds like you don't have the rearward tip of the connecting rod in the little cup that is on the forward end of the recoil spring which is in the stock. With the trigger assembly out of the gun, you should be able to easily see and guide the tip into that little cup.

If it still won't retract the bolt all the way rearward, then you have something incorrectly assembled in the bolt assembly or you have the connecting rod upside down. The connecting rod is slightly curved, and the concave side of the curve should face down.

Oh, while you're at it, check to see that you have the gas system in the forearm assembled properly and the nut on snugly. See your Owner's Manual for a diagram.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:13 am 
Diamond Grade

I have had this happen many times. Almost always its because I have put the bolt in slightly tilted into the receiver. I just pull the bolt out and make sure its aligned properly in the grooves that the bolt slides in and everything is fine. Thats my experience yours may differ.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:39 pm 
Utility Grade

Illini Shooter wrote:
I have had this happen many times. Almost always its because I have put the bolt in slightly tilted into the receiver. I just pull the bolt out and make sure its aligned properly in the grooves that the bolt slides in and everything is fine. Thats my experience yours may differ.

This was 100% it! Made sure everything in the bolt assembly was lining up right, and then made sure it was sitting square in the receiver.

Thank you guys for your help!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Illini Shooter called it correctly. Good job. {hs#

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:16 pm 
Crown Grade

Great info. I help my friend clean and reassemble his A300 and we often get hung up at this state. We take it apart and try again, that usually fixes it, but not every time. Now I know what to look for. I think if you slide to bolt assy in while the receiver is upside down, you stand a good chance of it fitting correctly.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:44 am 
Limited Edition

baconz wrote:
Illini Shooter wrote:

This was 100% it! Made sure everything in the bolt assembly was lining up right, and then made sure it was sitting square in the receiver

Thank you guys for your help!

Illini shooter got it right
When you put the bolt assembly/action rod back into the receiver, make sure the connecting rod goes into the plunger cup. Then, before you put the cocking handle in the bolt, grab the piston stop (black polymer or metal tube depending on model, that goes over the magazine) and slowly push down (basically like you would pump a pump gun rearward). The bolt assembly should move its full travel length in the receiver. If it doesn’t , remove the assembly and then put it back in and repeat until it travels the full length. DO NOT FORCE ANYTHING. It should go together with minimal pressure. Be sure to slowly ease off pressure and let the recoil spring return the bolt to its resting position after you check the travel. Make sure the connecting or push rod stays in the plunger cup. Now you can put your cocking handle in place. Check travel once more with the cocking handle if you want. Then continue with assembly.. I have a 391 that will sometimes take 4-5 tries before the bolt will travel. Just be patient, keep trying, and don’t force anything. I clean a ton of these guns for customers. Every now and then one will be stubborn, sooner or later it’ll fall into place. And you won’t have noticeably done anything different?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:34 pm 
Crown Grade

I feel vindicated! All those frustrating moments with the A300 and my 390''s...

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

DallasCMT wrote:
I feel vindicated! All those frustrating moments with the A300 and my 390''s...

I've never had that problem with my 390's. Not a single time. Had it once with a 391, but never with a 390. Maybe it's the way I hold the bolt assembly and action rod together as I slide it down into the receiver, but never had that problem.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:16 pm 
Limited Edition

I never had a problem with 390s either. But I won’t say it couldn’t happen. I’ve had this happen more with 391s than any of the others. But the a300s will do it occasionally. It’s no big deal, as long as you know how to handle it without trying to force the square peg into the round hole.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:21 am 
Tournament Grade

Turpentine1 wrote:
I never had a problem with 390s either. But I won’t say it couldn’t happen. I’ve had this happen more with 391s than any of the others. But the a300s will do it occasionally. It’s no big deal, as long as you know how to handle it without trying to force the square peg into the round hole.

With my 390 it goes in properly or not at all if not aligned.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:27 pm 
Crown Grade

Well, maybe it's not the same issue. Last time the 390 jammed up it was after I had put the bolt in, and then the trigger group. It was all bound up. I pulled it apart again and it went back okay. Maybe it was something else, but this has happened a few times.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:10 am 
Limited Edition

DallasCMT wrote:
Well, maybe it's not the same issue. Last time the 390 jammed up it was after I had put the bolt in, and then the trigger group. It was all bound up. I pulled it apart again and it went back okay. Maybe it was something else, but this has happened a few times.

Entirely possible that you are experiencing the same thing. I have 391s that this never happens with. And then I have others in the same model that you can count on it happening. The 390 bolt and rails are pretty much the same so really no reason it wouldn’t occur in the 390. I have an a300 that goes right together, 1st time every time. Then I’ve seen some customers a300s that I regularly maintain that would always do it one or twice before it fell into place. Whether a specific gun shows this tendency or not, I’ve never seen it effect the performance.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:08 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi, I have a beretta a300 outlander that won't feed the next shell into the chamber unless I'm pushing the bolt release button does anyone have any suggestions taking it in soon just trying to figure it out for further purposes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Nkarmann wrote:
Hi, I have a beretta a300 outlander that won't feed the next shell into the chamber unless I'm pushing the bolt release button does anyone have any suggestions taking it in soon just trying to figure it out for further purposes.

The gun isn't designed to feed a shell directly from the magazine to the chamber manually unless you first push in the little black carrier release button just forward of the trigger guard in the bottom of the receiver.

However, if you are live-firing ammunition, it should feed from the magazine to the chamber just fine as long as you fire a good live round in the chamber.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:05 pm 
Field Grade

I just cleaned my new to me 2005 Beretta Teknys Gold 20 ga. I had exactly the same trouble as the original poster, the bolt would move forward a half inch or so, then stop. I worked with it for a awhile....finally noticed that the pin connecting the breech bolt slide and connecting rod was partially out of place and stopping the bolt from moving back. I slid the pin into place and everything worked perfectly. On the Midwest Gunworks parts schematic, I'm referencing the pin that is part #59.

On Midwest's A300 schematic it appears that the pin is part #146, or possibly #118. Something to watch for anyway as it was halting my 391 reassembly yesterday.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:12 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the info I took it in and the gunsmith said it was just how they are designed thanks though!