ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A400 Lite 20g can't get enough drop in stock!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:40 am 
Utility Grade

I just bought myself an A400 Lite 20 gauge with the Kick-Off & gun Pod. I was seeing too much rib, so I put in the 65 drop & cast set. Still can't get my head down on the stock enough to be looking straight down the rib. Actually it feels as if it didn't change much at all. I even tried installing the 1" lengthening butt plate, but that didn't help either, & even if it had, the LOP would then be way too long. I have AL391 20's & 12's & an A400 28 gauge, all with the 65 drop & cast set installed and they are all a perfect fit. The only difference there is between them is that this new A400 Lite has the gun-pod & kick-off stock.

Has anyone else noticed or had this problem?
Is there anywhere I can buy a regular Beretta stock to replace this one with GP & KO?

Post subject: Re: A400 Lite 20g can't get enough drop in stock!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:08 am 
Crown Grade

Custom shims!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Dixie Boy wrote:
I just bought myself an A400 Lite 20 gauge with the Kick-Off & gun Pod. I was seeing too much rib, so I put in the 65 drop & cast set. Still can't get my head down on the stock enough to be looking straight down the rib. Actually it feels as if it didn't change much at all. I even tried installing the 1" lengthening butt plate, but that didn't help either, & even if it had, the LOP would then be way too long. I have AL391 20's & 12's & an A400 28 gauge, all with the 65 drop & cast set installed and they are all a perfect fit. The only difference there is between them is that this new A400 Lite has the gun-pod & kick-off stock.

Has anyone else noticed or had this problem?
Is there anywhere I can buy a regular Beretta stock to replace this one with GP & KO?

I'm not really familiar with the A400 model, but on the earlier Beretta 391 and 390, there was a shim between the stock and receiver, and also an oval plate that fit inside the stock on the stock bolt. BOTH of these needed to be adjusted accordingly to correctly change the cast and/or drop. Just changing one of them wouldn't do the job.

You might check your A400 and see if it has something similar.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:39 am 
Diamond Grade

Be sure you are correctly installing the shims.
From the butt of the gun you should be able to read the 65 on both shims.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:56 am 
Crown Grade

And if both are not oriented the proper way, you risk cracking your stock at the wrist.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:58 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You might take a look at this YouTube video from Beretta which shows how to adjust the drop and cast. Any questions, let us know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYYK0lY ... lQowXx0zku

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:35 pm 
Utility Grade

I installed the front shim (65DX) & rear plate (65DX) correctly. I have changed them on numerous Beretta's & Benelli's. I believe because of the kick-off stock, you can't get as much drop as you can on a non-kick-off stock. Any ideas where I can buy a regular Beretta Black Composite Stock? Do the A300 stocks fit the A400?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Dixie Boy wrote:
I installed the front shim (65DX) & rear plate (65DX) correctly. I have changed them on numerous Beretta's & Benelli's. I believe because of the kick-off stock, you can't get as much drop as you can on a non-kick-off stock. Any ideas where I can buy a regular Beretta Black Composite Stock? Do the A300 stocks fit the A400?

A drop of 65mm SHOULD be the same regardless which gun it's on. You might measure the drop on your gun and see if you are actually getting 65mm (2.56") drop.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:54 pm 
Crown Grade

There was a comment, I believe on this site, about someone making custom 70mm shims for the Berettas. Hopefully, someone will remember and post it.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:25 pm 
Utility Grade

I measured and I'm getting almost 2" of drop with the 65 shims.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

guys for future reference installing the rear shim wrong is not going to affect fit at all. it is there to allow the spring tube to remain square to its mounting point in the receiver.

OP sorry to read this as I think the 20 light is the closest thing to a Benelli competitor (in terms of weight/balance) Beretta currently makes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:00 pm 
Diamond Grade

I had the same issue with my wife's 20ga a400, even after getting some cu$tom $him$. Finally got some 1/4" x 1/4" hardwood stock and some double sided tape and made her a DYI add-a-rib. THAT finally got her eye in the right place.
:D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:11 pm 
Utility Grade

I have an update. . . I took the butt stock off my A400 Xplor Action 28g & it fits the A400 Lite 20g!!! with the 65 shims in, it fits perfect. the bad news is that the forend of the Xplor will not fit the Lite. Its not because the difference in gauges, but the gas operating system is different. Now all I need to do is find a wood forend that will fit the A400 Lite. Any thoughts???

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:19 pm 
Field Grade

I have fitted my 390 12gauge stock on all Berettas after the 303. So if the same similarities apply, an Outlander stock should fit. Hope you sort it. Know what it means to see too much rib.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

Joe Bowles at Tronspace was making Custom shims for Berettas. You can try him here.
https://tronspace.com/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:50 pm 
Utility Grade

Bumping this back up.

Got an a400 lite in 20 gauge.

Shot it this week and was missing quite a bit. Picked up my old Al 391 Urika 2 and started hitting again.

On the Urika, I see no rib, on the a400 I see rib ramping up in front of me. When I laid the a400 on top of the Urika (put the urika on a table on its side and put the a400 on top of it on its side) and aligned the stocks, the muzzle of the A400 was more than an inch above the muzzle of the 391.

Will shims fix this - seems like a big problem than some of these thin shims will solve?

Thanks very much.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

I would lay the Urika on top of the 400 lining up the barrels and receivers perfectly. You should then see how much drop is needed in the 400 stock.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

fecmech wrote:
I would lay the Urika on top of the 400 lining up the barrels and receivers perfectly. You should then see how much drop is needed in the 400 stock.

Agree! It's not the barrel/receiver joint angle that needs adjusting. It's the receiver/stock joint angle that needs adjusting. If you can't adjust it enough with the shims, then you'll need to use a wood rasp on the comb/stock. Or, you could add a rib on top of the existing rib to give you more comb/stock drop.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:45 pm 
Crown Grade

10generation wrote:
Bumping this back up.

Got an a400 lite in 20 gauge.

Shot it this week and was missing quite a bit. Picked up my old Al 391 Urika 2 and started hitting again.

On the Urika, I see no rib, on the a400 I see rib ramping up in front of me. When I laid the a400 on top of the Urika (put the urika on a table on its side and put the a400 on top of it on its side) and aligned the stocks, the muzzle of the A400 was more than an inch above the muzzle of the 391.

Will shims fix this - seems like a big problem than some of these thin shims will solve?

Thanks very much.

What shims are in it?
Same as the 391?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:51 pm 
Utility Grade

I had cast adjusted when I bought it, the gun is at my duck club and I'm taking the shims that came with it when I head back to try and adjust it.

Great point about aligning the barrels to see the drop - its the reverse and what I should have done last time.

Dale Tate the gunfitter, did some work on the 12 gauge Urika, hoping I can get the 20 to the same place.

Thanks