ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A400 Xcel Gas Valve Housing & spring break down and clean?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

Is the process similar to that on the AL391 albeit with only the one threaded “nut” holding the spring in place?Apologies if this has already been asked before.

Steve

Last edited by stevewall on Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: A400 Xcel Gas Valve break down and clean - anyone done t
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

stevewall wrote:
Is the process similar to that on the AL391 albeit with only the one threaded “nut” holding the spring in place?Apologies if this has already been asked before.

Steve

Directly from page 30 of your A 400 owners manual:

"EXHAUST VALVE ASSEMBLY
NOTICE: NEVER DISASSEMBLE the exhaust valve assembly. If necessary, contact a competent gunsmith."

If you do not have an owners manual you can download one from the Beretta site.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:00 am 
Tournament Grade

Ah yes I’ve just read that section in the manual. So does that mean that every time you need to clean the valve thoroughly you need to take it to a gunsmith? Looks like a job creation scheme to me. :(

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:51 am 
Tournament Grade

stevewall wrote:
Ah yes I’ve just read that section in the manual. So does that mean that every time you need to clean the valve thoroughly you need to take it to a gunsmith? Looks like a job creation scheme to me. :(

Do as you wish.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:03 pm 
Diamond Grade

jpari wrote:
stevewall wrote:

Do as you wish.

Well, that was certainly helpful. Not.

Steve,
I may get hammered on here but on my a400s, Xcel and Xplor, I wipe the valve down with a shop rag every time out and when it's time for a legitimate cleaning of the gun, I spray them with brake cleaner and then set them aside to dry while I work on the rest of the gun.
Works for me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I think that what jpair was saying is that it's not necessary to disassemble the gas valve unless something is broke on/in it. I agree with that. I suggest that about once every 1,000 to 2,000 rounds, just dunk it into some strong solvent and let it soak for awhile. Then wipe off and it's good to go.

I know of many 390, 391 Beretta gas valves that are seldom if ever cleaned and they still work just fine. As long as the burnt carbon doesn't cake up on them too thick, it's no problem.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for all of your responses they have been helpful. Looks like the consensus is clean what you can see as often as you feel necessary. As someone who likes to get guns as close to new as possible, I liked the job of dismantling and cleaning the valve on my 391. The spring retaining bits on the top of the A400 valve do look as if they need a special tool(s) to remove and as such I guess I’ll leave well alone for now

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:56 pm 
Crown Grade

I put it in solvent and let it soak for awhile.
Pretty easy clean up.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:33 am 
Tournament Grade

Sorry guys I think I’ve given you duff information so I’ve modified the headline question. The part that I really want to clean is not the valve itself but the valve housing, the item that’s part of and attached to the barrels. The manual has a picture in it with a large red X through it. I guess that is meant to say leave well alone. On the 391 you were given two spanner’s to undo its two locking retaining nuts. This is the item rthat im seeking tips on disassembling.

Post subject: Re: A400 Xcel Gas Valve Housing & spring break down and clea
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:58 am 
Tournament Grade

Yes the manual says not to disassemble the gas spring pressure relief valve. BUT, it does easily come apart and is very similar to a Beretta 391, but with fewer parts. Once you do it or see it done you'll wonder why in the world they ever asked you not to. The first time I removed the nut it might have been pretty tight, but now it comes apart exactly as you would expect it to. It's definitely faster and easier to disassemble and reassemble than a 391, especially if you have the "Valve Wrench" (actually more of a socket) attached to a cordless screwdriver-like tool.

One source for the wrench (socket) is https://www.shop.colegun.com/products/3 ... lve-wrench

That link includes the text:

Cole's Custom Gas Valve Wrench
To be used with 391, A300 Outlander and 12g A400 (not compatible with A400 Lite) model Berettas.
NOTE: Cannot be used in 3 1/2" chambered models

Last edited by blacktrail on Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:13 pm 
Utility Grade

[quote="blacktrail"]Yes the manual says not to disassemble the gas spring pressure relief valve. BUT, it does easily come apart and is very similar to a Beretta 391, but with fewer parts. Once you do ir or see it done you'll wonder why in the world they ever asked you not to. The first time I removed the nut it might have been pretty tight, but now it comes apart exactly as you would expect it to. It's definitely faster and easier to disassemble and reassemble than a 391, especially if you have the "Valve Wrench" (actually more of a socket) attached to a cordless screwdriver-like tool.

Does the Gas Valve Nut screw down until it snugs up and stops? The reason it may be hard to unscrew the first time is it's "staked" in the inner detents. Mine broke loose from the detents and started to unscrew and I'd like to know where to put it back to.

Also, has anyone tried a Cole's lighter gas spring on their A400.

Thanks for your time.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

JonP wrote:
Does the Gas Valve Nut screw down until it snugs up and stops? The reason it may be hard to unscrew the first time is it's "staked" in the inner detents. Mine broke loose from the detents and started to unscrew and I'd like to know where to put it back to.

I screw the nut down until it bottoms out and then just tighten it a little snugly.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:51 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks!

JonP