ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beretta DT-11 Action wear?!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have been a Browning guy since I started shooting trap and skeet in 1976. Superposed and Citoris. I thought I'd step up a little and buy a real tough clays gun and went for a new DT-11 B-Fast. The gun shoots very nice and fits me well. But right when I got it I noticed that the jeweling around the hinge pockets on the barrels was worn somewhat flat already. Now after about 1000 shells through it the entire right side jeweling is wearing off and there are corresponding wear marks inside the action, especially on the right side of the action. The gun is always well lubed and gets cleaned after each outing so after each 4-10 rounds of skeet.
I find this hugely disappointing for such an expensive gun from a quality perspective.

Is this normal?? Other friends at the club with 686 SP and 692 sporting do not show this wear at all.

Can someone advise? pictures linked here https://imgur.com/a/JLJN99S

Post subject: Re: Beretta DT-11 Action wear?!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Fairly normal and not something I'd worry about, just means the parts are a close fit which is a good thing.

The jeweling is only cosmetic anyways.

As long as nothing is dragging or binding, keep on trucking.

The jeweling can be touched up later on if desired.

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks Skeet_man! I just think it is asinine to jewel a gun and then have it wear off in a few rounds ... none of my Brownings are jeweled and they do not show wear marks and are super tight. It just looks bad when nice jeweling wears off right a way. My TriStar TT-15 CTa and my sons cheap Mossberg Silver Reserve II have jeweling on the barrel and they don't wear off. Anyways, thanks again!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:53 am 
Presentation Grade

I agree. My DT11 wore down right away. But I have seen old ASE 90 guns with virtually no wear. My 682 had much less. It can be rejewelled, I know beretta USA can do it, maybe Coles, but if it just happens again, not much point.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:48 am 
Presentation Grade

My DT11 was purchased in 2015 and used on average three times a month. Some wear is visible but most of the jeweling (80 percent) is still strong and visible.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:22 am 
Presentation Grade

Isn't "jeweling" done to retain lubrication?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:29 am 
Utility Grade

My DT11has about 250 round shot so far and shows little wear. The action is a lot tighter then most Beretta's I have owned.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:43 am 
Presentation Grade

Mine was worse than that. I had a semi-circular groove starting to form as I opened the gun. I was not happy at all! I always lightly lubed the action before shooting and cleaned it afterwards. Obviously there was a burr in there somewhere that I couldn’t see. After about 2500 rounds I sent it back to beretta and they repaired it under warranty. I also had a spot on the barrel where the bluing came off. They refused to fix that and said it was normal wear. BS!! My previous 687 had been treated the same and never showed wear like that after 12 years. I was not impressed since one of the reasons I purchased this gun was for the alleged attention to detail from the custom shop.
On the positive side, the gun has been a tremendous help and I’m shooting better than ever with it.
Cheers-Gofer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:05 pm 
Presentation Grade

Gofer wrote:
Mine was worse than that. I had a semi-circular groove starting to form as I opened the gun. I was not happy at all! I always lightly lubed the action before shooting and cleaned it afterwards. Obviously there was a burr in there somewhere that I couldn’t see. After about 2500 rounds I sent it back to beretta and they repaired it under warranty. I also had a spot on the barrel where the bluing came off. They refused to fix that and said it was normal wear. BS!! My previous 687 had been treated the same and never showed wear like that after 12 years. I was not impressed since one of the reasons I purchased this gun was for the alleged attention to detail from the custom shop.
On the positive side, the gun has been a tremendous help and I’m shooting better than ever with it.
Cheers-Gofer

The Beretta Custom shop is not what it once was. My DT11ACS has front bead that is not correctly seated and the triggers are nowhere near as crisp as my Perazzi. But the barrels are perfectly regulated, the patterns are excellent, the gun fits like a dream and my scores are better than before.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:36 pm 
Field Grade

My Dt11 bought in Dec. is on its way back to Beretta.
Small crack in forearm at a knot that looks like they tried to epoxy before checkering.
Mid bead was backing out of rib at shoot on saturday.
Bought also because of custom shop detail.
We will see how it goes. Great shooting gun otherwise.
Mine is also wearing at the jeweling

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks, everyone! Seems like this is "normal". My Citori 725s are better made than this Beretta by a far margin. I contacted Cole's via email tonight and reported my issue with pictures. I will report back what I hear.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

Gofer wrote:
Cheers-Gofer

Cheers Gofer! To whom did you send it back for repair and was the issue remedied after you got it back or did it begin to wear again? Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:01 am 
Field Grade

So I have a relatively new DT11 ACS.
Before I get to the meat, not that I run a machine shop.
Had a score on the LH receiver. I filed on the receiver housing and checked it with Prussian blue until the rub went away.
One of 2 things caused this. One, maybe Beretta did not deburr the receiver housing or 2, when you put the barrel and receiver together, if you are not careful to get the lower lug down and seated, the smaller upper lug on the barrel can beat up the forward edge of the receiver and mushroom it.
Anyway, a bit of light filing on the forward edge of the receiver fixed the scoring problem.
I have a couple of pictures if anybody wants them, PM me.
Haven't figured out how to load pictures yet (unless the upload worked. .
Attachment:
IMG_4126.jpg
Attachment:
IMG_4125.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:42 am 
Presentation Grade

Alex,
My gun was sent back to Beretta USA under warranty. They turned it around quickly but the work was not really as top notch as I would expect on a custom shop gun. It was ok...
I would expect this sort of thing if I’d sent them a silver pigeon but not on their premier target gun. I was pretty disappointed in having the problem in the first place and the mediocre way it was handled. I told the beretta rep as much and he was pretty unconcerned. I’ve owned a dozen Beretta shotguns and I’ve never had a problem until now.
On the plus side it has not shown any sign of scratching since then.
If I didn’t love the way the gun performs it would have been long gone!
Cheers Gofer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:57 am 
Tournament Grade

Gofer wrote:
Alex,
My gun was sent back to Beretta USA under warranty. They turned it around quickly but the work was not really as top notch as I would expect on a custom shop gun. It was ok...
I would expect this sort of thing if I’d sent them a silver pigeon but not on their premier target gun. I was pretty disappointed in having the problem in the first place and the mediocre way it was handled. I told the beretta rep as much and he was pretty unconcerned. I’ve owned a dozen Beretta shotguns and I’ve never had a problem until now.
On the plus side it has not shown any sign of scratching since then.
If I didn’t love the way the gun performs it would have been long gone!
Cheers Gofer

Thanks gofer! That is EXACTLY where I am at! The gun fits and performs fantastically and I love how it handles and shoots but my disappointment in the workmanship will not wane. I have contacted Cole's to see what can be done. I assume I will get a brush off and then it would be the first and last Beretta I own and likely move on to Blaser for my next gun. Depending on Cole's and Beretta's handling of this issue I will make sure I share my experience on social media and within my clubs so that people are forewarned about the poor workmanship issues before they considering to buy this gun.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:54 pm 
Limited Edition

Not what a possible convert to DT11 from Krieghoff wants to hear :( If I could get a 692 or 690 Cole special heavy enough that sounds like money spent more wisely.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

edgerat wrote:
Not what a possible convert to DT11 from Krieghoff wants to hear :( If I could get a 692 or 690 Cole special heavy enough that sounds like money spent more wisely.

I Have a friend with a 692 Sporting and I have shot it. He doesn't have the jeweling wear at all anywhere, but now has issues with the forearm lock not locking back into place when putting the forearm back on until you press the release lever in the back and front to lock it. The DT-11 handles quite different ... more substantial and I just shoot it very well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:27 pm 
Limited Edition

https://www.baldwinboltjeweling.com/

When you want to get it touched up, this guy is awesome and reasonable.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:51 am 
Field Grade

Yes its normal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:12 am 
Tournament Grade

Tvbh40a wrote:
https://www.baldwinboltjeweling.com/

When you want to get it touched up, this guy is awesome and reasonable.

Many thanks for the hint! I emailed him.

BTW .... I emailed Cole's on Monday. ZERO response so far.