ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 303 gas ports
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:17 pm 
Field Grade

I understand the 303 requires heavy dram loads, like 3 1/4. Can you open the gas ports to accommodate lighter loads?

Post subject: Re: 303 gas ports
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ian84036 wrote:
I understand the 303 requires heavy dram loads, like 3 1/4. Can you open the gas ports to accommodate lighter loads?

You can always open gas ports to make the gun operate with lighter loads. The problem is that this also makes the use of heavy loads rather abusive to the gun and likely will hasten the breakage of parts which can get rather expensive to replace.

I suggest that you do some actual field testing first with a variety of load weights, velocities, etc. Be sure to lubricate the moving parts generously with Breakfree CLP or similar. In my experience, semiautos like being run wet much more than they do dry... although some shooters view it differently.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:16 pm 
Field Grade

The 303 itself doesn't have a requirement but the barrel's ports will dictate what will cycle, given a functioning gun otherwise. The guns did not have a way to compensate for shell variation outside of barrel port design parameters.

I bought an AL2 Trap gun with an absolutely filthy piston that by the owner's admission hadn't been cleaned in a long time, it still functioned fine though a box of shells when I tested it before buying.

A friend's 303 with a Magnum barrel will not cycle Trap shells, but then it isn't supposed to. I have heard specs for port size on 2 3/4" barrels and for 3" barrels, but they weren't what I found on my guns. My take, fwiw, is if the gun doesn't cycle the shells you want to use then the ports can be opened to accommodate.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:18 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

ian84036 wrote:

For starters, it isn't true with 2-3/4 inch chambered barrels.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:44 pm 
Crown Grade

IMO it should function without issue with standard 3 dram 1,200 fps. 1 1/8 loads. The 303s I have used and maintained did.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:41 pm 
Presentation Grade

OP

In order to answer your question, please specify what 303 you are asking about...

Is this a 12 gauge or 20 gauge gun...?

What chamber length does the barrel have...3 inch or 2&3/4...?

It makes a difference in the correct answer...!