ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Second barrel not firing
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:41 pm 
Utility Grade

So I recently purchased a used 686 Onyx. I took it out to shoot skeet today for the first time. With the barrel selector showing one dot, I would fire and the second barrel would not fire. I could then move the selector and it would fire the second barrel.

If I had the selector showing two dots, it would fire the first with no issue, and then it would fire the second barrel, but I had to squeeze the trigger really hard and the trigger felt spongy. What could be the cause of this? I was shooting 1-1/8oz loads.

I bought this gun with the hopes of taking it on a bucket list pheasant hunting trip that I leave for in two weeks. I thought I was getting a deal, now I wish I could just get my money back and buy something else.

Post subject: Re: Second barrel not firing
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:40 pm 
Crown Grade

Did you purchase from a dealer or private sale with a person? Was the sale "as is" no warranty if a dealer was involved? If you get stuck pull the butt stock and see what the inside of the receiver looks like. Flush with solvent, blow out and re-lube. Next steps would be to check the inertia block, firing pin channels (clean) and finally some springs.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:49 pm 
Limited Edition

It is a common problem even with guns of all makes, even new. I don’t know what they do, but gunsmiths know how to fix it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:53 pm 
Utility Grade

lt0026 wrote:
Did you purchase from a dealer or private sale with a person? Was the sale "as is" no warranty if a dealer was involved? If you get stuck pull the butt stock and see what the inside of the receiver looks like. Flush with solvent, blow out and re-lube. Next steps would be to check the inertia block, firing pin channels (clean) and finally some springs.

Bought it through a private party on gun broker. Said it was flawless. Lesson learned on that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Pull the stock and give it a good cleaning. What I do is put the receiver in a shallow pan and then use mineral spirits to cover it and let it soak a while. 5/10 minutes or so,then use some compressed air (don't hold too close,12 inches or there about, so as not to possibly move any pins) and blow dry it.You can also slosh(gently) the receiver around to help flush out any crud.

If the mineral spirits are pretty nasty-dump it and put fresh in and repeat the above. Then a VERY LIGHT coat of oil and blow dry that also- reassemble and if that doesn't fix it-then call a local gunsmith.

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:46 am 
Crown Grade

Bigstick17 wrote:
lt0026 wrote:

Bought it through a private party on gun broker. Said it was flawless. Lesson learned on that.

The only time I will buy a gun on the internet is if a reputable FFL dealer offers it and agrees to a 3 day inspection period. Buying used guns on the internet is a crap shoot, especially from individual sellers. If you used Gunbroker give the seller a bad review if they won't make it right. Call the seller. Either they pay for repairs, partial refund or full refund including shipping. If you used a CC file a dispute.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:58 am 
Crown Grade

lt0026 wrote:
Bigstick17 wrote:
lt0026 wrote:

The only time I will buy a gun on the internet is if a reputable FFL dealer offers it and agrees to a 3 day inspection period. Buying used guns on the internet is a crap shoot, especially from individual sellers. If you used Gunbroker give the seller a bad review if they won't make it right. Either they pay for repairs, partial refund or full refund including shipping. If you used a CC file a dispute.

You do need to do your due diligence; that said, I have bought and sold guns to and from this forum without any issues. The only issue I ever had with an online purchase - and it was totally my own fault - was when I bought a SKB 28 gauge and did not ask the LOP and it was 13-1/2", well over an inch shorter than my normal; my wife shot it for a while and down the road it went to a happy buyer.

While I do prefer to buy new from a B&M store, I will never rule out a deal from an individual. Look at their feedback, ask questions either by email or phone and go with your gut instinct.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:59 am 
Crown Grade

lt0026 wrote:
Bigstick17 wrote:
lt0026 wrote:

The only time I will buy a gun on the internet is if a reputable FFL dealer offers it and agrees to a 3 day inspection period. Buying used guns on the internet is a crap shoot, especially from individual sellers. If you used Gunbroker give the seller a bad review if they won't make it right. Call the seller. Either they pay for repairs, partial refund or full refund including shipping. If you used a CC file a dispute.

Very good advice!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:31 am 
Crown Grade

And be very suspicious of guns offered as All Sales Final. Caveat Emptor.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:32 pm 
Crown Grade

Its not uncommon. Could just need cleaning.

Clean it, as noted above. If that doesn't work find a gunsmith that knows something about 680 series Beretta's and have him look it over. Probably minor like a burr on the inertia arm sear, or a bad pawl spring.

Friend of mine has a 682 that will not fire top bbl with reloads using fio primers, same gun is 100% with winchester primers.

Is it bang - click? or bang - dead trigger?

For your pheasant hunt, just set it up to shoot top bbl first and dont worry about it if you don't have a gunsmith that can look at it. Deal with the problem when you get back.

One of Many

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:55 pm 
Utility Grade

So I cleaned it like above. Still doing the same thing. It appears to be some kind of issue with the inertia triggers(I think). I noticed that after firing the first barrel, if I bumped the butt on the ground, it would fire the second barrel.

If I ordered a spare parts kit would it probably have everything needed to fix it?

Last edited by Bigstick17 on Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Bigstick17 wrote:
So I cleaned it like above. Still doing the same thing. It appears to be some kind of issue with the inertia triggers(I think). I noticed that after firing the first barrel, if I bumped the butt on the ground, it would fire the second barrel.

That's how an inertia trigger works if off recoil

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:04 pm 
Crown Grade

That is typical and as designed. It needs recoil to reset the second trigger. They can be tuned to fire with even a .410, but it has to have some recoil.

If its doing it firing 12 ga ammo, its a problem (not a big problem, but it needs serviced).

Another possibility is if you're not coming off the trigger enough to reset the trigger. Not likely if it only does it firing bottom first. But trapping the trigger will result in a dead second bbl.

One of Many

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:13 pm 
Utility Grade

John H wrote:
That is typical and as designed. It needs recoil to reset the second trigger. They can be tuned to fire with even a .410, but it has to have some recoil.

If its doing it firing 12 ga ammo, its a problem (not a big problem, but it needs serviced).

Another possibility is if you're not coming off the trigger enough to reset the trigger. Not likely if it only does it firing bottom first. But trapping the trigger will result in a dead second bbl.

It’s not from trapping the trigger. I tried all kinds of things at the range to hone in as closely as possible to the issue.

Anyone know any good gunsmiths around Dallas, TX?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:41 pm 
Crown Grade

I'd bet a cup of coffee its a mismatch between the inertia arm sear and the hammer release sear. Shoot it top bbl first until you can get a trigger guy to look at it.

Coles in Main is an authorized service center for Beretta. Phil Crenwelge in Texas is a good trigger guy (but busy until after the ATA Grand). Really any competent gunsmith should be able to fix it in a few minutes. Just make sure they are competent - saw one that belonged to a friend that a local smith tried to fix this exact problem. He managed to cut the inertia arm nearly in half with the dremel tool he used to try to fix the surfaces. I don't have him work on any of my guns after seeing that.

One of Many

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:37 pm 
Utility Grade

John H wrote:
I'd bet a cup of coffee its a mismatch between the inertia arm sear and the hammer release sear. Shoot it top bbl first until you can get a trigger guy to look at it.

Coles in Main is an authorized service center for Beretta. Phil Crenwelge in Texas is a good trigger guy (but busy until after the ATA Grand). Really any competent gunsmith should be able to fix it in a few minutes. Just make sure they are competent - saw one that belonged to a friend that a local smith tried to fix this exact problem. He managed to cut the inertia arm nearly in half with the dremel tool he used to try to fix the surfaces. I don't have him work on any of my guns after seeing that.

Thanks for the info. I looked up Phil Crenwegle and saw he’s only about a hour and a half from me. Left him a voicemail. Hopefully he’ll get back to me and be able to squeeze me in before the trip.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:37 pm 
Utility Grade

Update: took a trip to Philip Crenwegle’s shop. Apparently the previous owner decided to take it apart and didn’t know what he was doing. Phil said there were several parts backwards and upside down. He stripped it down and had me up and running in under 15 minutes. I highly recommend sending your gun to him if you have any issues.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:24 pm 
Crown Grade

Phil is a good guy. I sent him my DT10 years ago that was having some trouble firing the second bbl. Basically gave him a blank check to get 'er done. I don't recall what he charged me but it was much less than I expected and the triggers were perfect. He didn't swap out a bunch of expensive parts like hammer springs even though I told him to do so if he thought it necessary.

Edit: Glad it worked out for you!

One of Many

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:37 pm 
Diamond Grade

Bigstick17 wrote:
Update: took a trip to Philip Crenwegle’s shop. Apparently the previous owner decided to take it apart and didn’t know what he was doing. Phil said there were several parts backwards and upside down. He stripped it down and had me up and running in under 15 minutes. I highly recommend sending your gun to him if you have any issues.

Excellent! Not only did you get your gun fixed so you can really enjoy your hunting trip, but you found a good gunsmith for future use. Nice assist, John H.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:17 pm 
Utility Grade

I had the same issue on mine, which I bought new. Seemed like the barrel selector switch was moving after firing, and it would get into a position that wasn't valid (somewhere in between). I sent it back to Beretta, and the tech listed "Adjusted safety and selector fit." as the fix. Since I got it back, it's working fine.