ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Loose trigger assembly on A302
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:02 am 
Utility Grade

Hi everyone

My first post, but have been enjoying SGW for a number of months as an eager reader of the fantastic information on here!

Wondered if any of you knowledgeable Beretta folk can give me some advice on a problem I have noticed with my beloved 1980's A302 Semi Auto. Its a pretty simple issue really, the trigger assembly has some slight play left to right. I have stripped the gun down and cleaned it all up, its had a new action spring and still the problem is there however the gun operates perfectly fine. I cant really work out what is supposed to hold the trigger mechanism firmly in place, it seems that is solely the job of the magazine cutoff lever and pin which looks to be in good condition. I was planning to just replace the magazine cutoff lever, plunger and spring but thought I would seek some advice before sinking more cash into this gun.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as to what to do next or how to tighten things up.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Loose trigger assembly on A302
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:12 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Genoa1966 wrote:
Hi everyone

My first post, but have been enjoying SGW for a number of months as an eager reader of the fantastic information on here!

Wondered if any of you knowledgeable Beretta folk can give me some advice on a problem I have noticed with my beloved 1980's A302 Semi Auto. Its a pretty simple issue really, the trigger assembly has some slight play left to right. I have stripped the gun down and cleaned it all up, its had a new action spring and still the problem is there however the gun operates perfectly fine. I cant really work out what is supposed to hold the trigger mechanism firmly in place, it seems that is solely the job of the magazine cutoff lever and pin which looks to be in good condition. I was planning to just replace the magazine cutoff lever, plunger and spring but thought I would seek some advice before sinking more cash into this gun.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as to what to do next or how to tighten things up.

Thanks!

It seems to me that the pin that holds the trigger assembly in place in the receiver would be the primary factor in holding the trigger assembly steady. Also, how well the trigger assembly fits the opening in the bottom of the receiver would play a role.

I can't remember for sure, but I think that pin goes through a bushing in the trigger assembly that goes from one side to the other of the assembly. How well that fits could also play a role.

I'm assuming that you have the trigger assembly assembled correctly with no parts missing, but I would double check this assumption by comparing your trigger assembly with a parts diagram to make sure you didn't lose something or leave something out when taking it apart.

After confirming that all the parts are there and that everything is properly assembled, I would probably do nothing further as long as the gun continues to function properly. I sure wouldn't start replacing parts willy-nilly just on the off chance that the part being replaced MIGHT be the problem.

You might try substituting a different trigger assembly (if you can find one) and see if that makes a difference in the looseness. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Oh, how long have you had this gun and when did you first start noticing this "wobble" in the trigger assembly? Do you shoot the gun very much?

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:49 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks really helpful! I am pretty sure the trigger group is complete I haven't removed anything and always have the hammer cocked and safety on when i take it out so hopefully nothing has fallen out. Had another look tonight and for the life of me I can't see why it would have any play in it. What about the detent plunger and spring maybe that needs some attention?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Genoa1966 wrote:
Thanks really helpful! I am pretty sure the trigger group is complete I haven't removed anything and always have the hammer cocked and safety on when i take it out so hopefully nothing has fallen out. Had another look tonight and for the life of me I can't see why it would have any play in it. What about the detent plunger and spring maybe that needs some attention?

Sorry, but I don't understand your question. Don't know what parts you are referring to. Can you be more specific? And, how long have you had the gun? How much do you shoot it? And when did you first notice this wiggle problem?

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.