ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A400 extreme plus initial thoughts
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:13 pm 
Utility Grade

Took my new a400 extreme plus out for the first time. Put two boxes of Winchester AA super sports 1 1/8 oz 2 3/4 shells through it without an issue. Had a box of Winchester long beard XR 3 1/2 2oz loads to put down range with the factory full choke to see what the pattern looked like before looking into an after market choke. Loaded one shell at a time gun ejected the shell and the action locked like it should. At 30 yards pattern would yield a dead bird. Looked at my ejected shells and noticed dents in the high brass. Given the location I assume it’s happening in the ejection process. After taking a look at the gun thoroughly no damage that I could see along with inspecting the primers of the shells for signs of pressure issues, I figured this was something occurring during the ejection cycle. Went back to shooting the prior target loads and everything cycled the same. At this point the gun had about 60 rounds through it. Anybody have a reason to worry about the dents pictured?

My Next step is to shoot more target loads and shoot some 3 inch steel to see what there is to see. Want to see how the gun cycles before and after magnum loads seeing as I shot those 3 1/2s one at a time. At this point I wouldn’t consider the gun broken in. I have some 1 oz target loads I might try out after I put another outing of various magnum shooting through it. Does this sound like reasonable thinking? Thanks for any and all input.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: A400 extreme plus initial thoughts
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:44 am 
Crown Grade

My Xtreme Plus cycled7/8 oz loads on the first day..
No need to shoot 3” or 3.5” shells for break in.
You can cycle the unloaded gun hundreds of times to smooth the action!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:45 am 
Utility Grade

Think I need to worry about the dents or just a product of heavy loads?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:26 pm 
Crown Grade

jmmiller41385 wrote:
Think I need to worry about the dents or just a product of heavy loads?

Don’t know. I’ve never looked at my empties.
It cycles fine, so probably not a problem.
Call Cole gunsmithing and ask the experts..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:27 pm 
Utility Grade

I’m new here ,just registered today. I have A Beretta extreme A400 I believe I purchased this gun around 2013 and I have the same problem with the dents in 3” high brass shells .
I contacted Beretta sent the pictures to them . My shells looked just like your shells they said it was normal. I only use this shotgun for turkey hunting.
When this gun was new I ran two boxes of 3” inch shells through it to break in and a few 3.5” before hunting season. Before Turkey season tested Indian creek choke, jebs and Winchester LB choke never had any problem ejecting 3 1/2 inch shells.
Unfortunately on two turkey hunts After firing the first shot the second round would not load because the fired ejected shell and the one trying to load hangs up . The Ejected shell will be halfway sticking out .You can say well that’s not a problem if you kill your turkey on the first shot but for me one hunt it did not turn out that way and caused me to not be able to shoot again.
Without help any help from Beretta I don’t really know what to do .maybe the length of the long beard XR 3 1/2 inch shells is causing a problem . don’t know if anyone has a suggestion besides shoot a different brand of shotgun shells.
Now the WLB shells patterns great with .650 jebs choke that’s the only reason why I’m still using those shells. Only problem I can shoot a whole box of those shells and it won’t do it but when I go to hunt it does it so I’m not sure if anyone’s had any similar problems.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:24 pm 
Utility Grade

Sorry I should of started a new topic didn’t mean to hijack this,Im new,sorry.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:02 pm 
Crown Grade

Looked at some of my 3.5” hulls. Smaller dents near the rim.
If the gun functions fine, don’t worry about it!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:05 pm 
Crown Grade

Elitehunter wrote:
I’m new here ,just registered today. I have A Beretta extreme A400 I believe I purchased this gun around 2013 and I have the same problem with the dents in 3” high brass shells .
I contacted Beretta sent the pictures to them . My shells looked just like your shells they said it was normal. I only use this shotgun for turkey hunting.
When this gun was new I ran two boxes of 3” inch shells through it to break in and a few 3.5” before hunting season. Before Turkey season tested Indian creek choke, jebs and Winchester LB choke never had any problem ejecting 3 1/2 inch shells.
Unfortunately on two turkey hunts After firing the first shot the second round would not load because the fired ejected shell and the one trying to load hangs up . The Ejected shell will be halfway sticking out .You can say well that’s not a problem if you kill your turkey on the first shot but for me one hunt it did not turn out that way and caused me to not be able to shoot again.
Without help any help from Beretta I don’t really know what to do .maybe the length of the long beard XR 3 1/2 inch shells is causing a problem . don’t know if anyone has a suggestion besides shoot a different brand of shotgun shells.
Now the WLB shells patterns great with .650 jebs choke that’s the only reason why I’m still using those shells. Only problem I can shoot a whole box of those shells and it won’t do it but when I go to hunt it does it so I’m not sure if anyone’s had any similar problems.

You could always just use 3” shells. Not a turkey on the planet a 3” load won’t kill . That’s provided of course that you’re shooting ethical ranges.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:21 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

jmmiller41385 wrote:
TAt 30 yards pattern would yield a dead bird. Looked at my ejected shells and noticed dents in the high brass. Given the location I assume it’s happening in the ejection process. After taking a look at the gun thoroughly no damage that I could see along with inspecting the primers of the shells for signs of pressure issues,

It isn't brass at all, it is cheap stamped steel. Primers won't tell you anything about pressure, those are just cheap hulls. They are great loads, though, except that the 3-1/2 in. loads are brutal.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:54 pm 
Utility Grade

Could be the ejector, had this problem with a BAR, any good gunsmith should be able to fix it.