ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 686 Black Onyx 28ga. info/pricing
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:02 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a chance to pick up a used 28 ga/28" 686 Black Onyx, but haven't been able to find a whole lot of info and only one other for sale to compare to. According to the serial number info on the Beretta site, it is from 2007(ish). The date code on the barrel shows 2006. It is in nice shape, a couple of small dings in the stock from being carried hunting. The action is still tight and there's little to no visible wear.

I put a box of shells through it just shooting at hand thrown targets out in the yard, it fits good and feels nice, although it's light enough there is a little more recoil than I was expecting. I have a Citori with a Briley tube set, so the 28ga in that has hardly any recoil since it's quite a bit heavier.

There isn't really a specific reason I want this one for since I already have the Citori for skeet and plenty of other options for hunting. I would maybe take it out for pheasants or grouse occasionally and shoot a round or three of skeet with it in a summer. A friend that I shoot with wants to sell it, so it is just a chance to get a nice Beretta O/U to add to the safe.

#1 - what can you guys tell me about the Black Onyx from the 2007ish era in particular? I am familiar with and have shot several of the standard SP1's, so I know the basics at least.
#2 - what's a fair price for one in this condition? No factory box or case, but there is a pair of Briley skeet chokes plus the 4 other factory chokes.

Post subject: Re: 686 Black Onyx 28ga. info/pricing
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 6:17 am 
Limited Edition

I have the same gun in the White Onyx. Very handy in my opinion. Mine is dated 2006 I think. Mine also does not have the recoil operated triggers. Never had an issue with it. It has become my favorite O/U to use these days. SO much so that I started reloading 28ga. The WO came with the case and all the accessories like new. I was surprised a little about preferring the smaller rubber recoil pad on the stock. I usually like the thicker pad, but I tried both and settled on the thinner pad fitting me better. It's just a darn handy tool that is pleasurable to use. I will try to post some pics tonight if I can remember.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 6:28 am 
Crown Grade

$600-700 would be a good price. They aren't rare or collectable. The used gun market is very soft right now.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 8:14 am 
Tournament Grade

I have a White Onyx and a Silver Pigeon l both in 20 gauge.Both are great guns.The mechanics are the same and I notice no differences in the handling. Only difference is cosmetics. As to price,if you can get it for $600 or $700 that would be a great bargain. I recently saw a Beretta 686 Special model in 28 gauge from the same time period and basically the same gun go for $1200. Even in this depressed market, I don't think you are going to see many Beretta 686s in good condition from that time period going for much less than $1000. At least I have not seen it, but you can check the internet and see what the going prices are.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 3:13 pm 
Limited Edition

I have a 12 gauge Onyx I bought in 1991. The intention of Beretta at the time was to produce a cheaper version than the standard 686. Matte black receiver and barrels, no engraving, etc. What they created was the perfect entry 686. I thought the grip was superior to the 686 of the period with a slightly tighter radius, but thinner at the wrist. Mine came with a trim forearm and great dimensions for me. The finish was actually oil as opposed to the hard, glossy finish found on the 686. The difference I see with yours, compared to mine, (other than gauge) is that my gun is rounded at the stock head behind the action and the checkering on mine carries more lines per inch. Also, a lot of people confuse the Onyx with the Onyx Pro. They are both 686's, but the Onyx Pro is newer using different choke tubes and usually sporting higher grade wood. I also have a Onyx Pro Sporter that has some of the best wood I've ever seen on a Beretta south of an SO grade gun. As to a price, I think the gun is worth as much as $1300 because of gauge and condition seen on the photos, but we've only seen one side of it. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 6:09 pm 
Presentation Grade

nice looking. agree it was the perfect 686. likely a 20ga frame. imo the matte finish looks great.

can't go wrong here.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 8:55 pm 
Limited Edition

Here is my 28ga White Onyx Compare for size. It has 28" barrels

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 2:46 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for all the info so far! Kind of confirmed what I had been able to find. It is in nice shape, and it's a 686 action with very little use. I was figuring around that $1,000 area would be a good price just based on what I have seen other silver pigeons listed for around this area.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 5:01 pm 
Crown Grade

I purchased a 12 gauge that looks very much like that gun. Flat black metal, plain wood with fish scales. Paid 1200USD. The 28 gauge was the same price. I'd expect both would sell for that price now on the used gun market.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 6:34 am 
Limited Edition

I think you are in the right ballpark as to price. As others have said, it is most likely built on a 20 gauge frame. I would not fret over this, however, as the baby frame is only slightly smaller (not enough to worry about).

The only thing I would do if it were mine would be to get rid of the auto safety (a five minute job).

I like these guns so much that I would be very interested in buying it if you decide not to.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:50 am 
Limited Edition

It's a great little gun and if in good condition should be in the $1200 range, maybe a bit more.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:55 pm 
Utility Grade

Well I gave him a check today, so this one is going to have a spot in my safe now! I shot a quick round of skeet with it a few nights ago and liked how it felt, balanced and swung. Broke 21 out of 25, not too bad. The misses were totally my fault too, and I knew as soon as I pulled the trigger on those. I already took it apart and took the bar out for the auto-safety, pretty darn clean on the inside too still.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:01 pm 
Limited Edition

Congratulations on a fine choice.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:19 am 
Crown Grade

Looks to be a very clean gun with minimal use!
Wear it out!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:22 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Congrats, SD. Really nice gun in good condition and in 28ga which usually commands a premium. Don't know what it cost you, but always thought it was easily worth $1,200.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:50 pm 
Utility Grade

lossking wrote:
Congrats, SD. Really nice gun in good condition and in 28ga which usually commands a premium. Don't know what it cost you, but always thought it was easily worth $1,200.

He gave me a pretty good deal on it @ $1k with the extra pair of Briley skeet chokes included!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:22 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes, a good deal for sure. You did well, really well. Enjoy it.