ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu May 13, 2021 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thoughts on A400 Upland 20 Gauge?
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:28 am 
Utility Grade

Have one in 12 and really happy with it. Soft-shooting, well balanced, comfortable to carry for pheasant and a pleasure for clays. Thinking about a new 20 Gauge for Upland quail, etc and wondering what people think about the A400 Upland? Less recoil concern with a 20 but still benefit from soft-shooting gas gun, not too heavy, reliable action. Not a bargain price, but seems like a good gun. Lot of controversy about the kick-off but the mega in the midwaist of the stock has been great in my 12. Would love to hear others thoughts, thanks.

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on A400 Upland 20 Gauge?
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 2:27 pm 
Crown Grade

I have a 12 Upland.
Haven’t hunted with it ,yet!
Will be going to So Dak this fall.
Soft shooter with 1 1/8 oz target loads.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:36 pm 
Utility Grade

I've had the 20 gauge A400 Upland for a few months now and I really think it's going to be my go to gun for upland from now on. I took it out for late season desert quail hunts and I noticed a big difference as far as weight and recoil compared to my other guns. I've used my brother's A400 extreme 12g, my A300 12g, and my 686 in 28g and after carrying it around all day I had less fatigue and the recoil was comparable to my 686. I have tried all sorts of ammo through it and only had an issue with the Winchester Universals at the range. After 100 rounds of Universal I had 2 extraction failures and 3 times the bolt did not stay open after the final round. Every other type of ammo I have tried has had no issues.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:34 am 
Field Grade

I began hunting with a 20 gauge. I've killed a lot of upland birds with it to include pheasant. I've killed more than a few ducks with it. I destroyed a pheasant beyond dining salvage with a Sure-Shot #6. I have no clue how many doves I've eaten thanks to that old Stevens 20 gauge SxS M/F chokes. It also rolled many a jackrabbit. I dropped a coyote in its tracks with it. All of the above was with lead shot.

I've never killed a goose. But there is no doubt in my mind that with a max load (not baby magnum) of #4 lead shot, it would have done the job.

I had given a lot of thought of going with a 20 gauge O/U. The only reason I went with a 12 gauge is due to the lead shot ban. I'm have zero knowledge of performance of shot other-than-lead on game. Hence, I went the safe route with a 12 gauge.

Many years ago, I fired an A391 20 gauge youth model. With 1oz max load, it had no recoil. It would be a perfect shotgun for flushing quail and pheasant.

Maybe I'm over thinking lead shot substitutes. But it has caused me to wonder whether lead shot substitutes have limited 20 gauge hunting application.

When I turned 18, I bought a real bird gun: a 12 gauge Wingmaster. It killed birds just as dead as my old 20 gauge ;-). My Wingmaster is still in very good condition. But I can't use steel shot in it.

My Wingmaster is an excellent shotgun, especially in terns of cost:value. The Wingmaster opened up bird hunters to the working class who could hunt next to hunters carrying very expensive European shotguns.

I love my old Wingmaster. However, it convinced me that I'm old school. The way I see it (read: my opinion) a bird gun is a SxS. But I ain't paying close to 6k for old school bird hunting.

But for the lead shot ban, I'd recommend a 20 gauge in a second.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:15 am 
Presentation Grade

A number of posts here and my own experience with a recent 20ga xplor is that in some guns the gas port is not big enough for 1200 fps walmart target loads. The gun will only cycle heavy field loads. You may need to send it off to Coles to drill it out so you can shoot cheap target loads.