ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DT11 worn out?
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 7:26 am 
Field Grade

Recently bought a used DT11, and was wondering if they can wear out. Yes I know they are built like a tank, but All my experiences are with K80 and have I know you can rebuild them. Was wondering same thing with DT 11, can they be rebuilt and question comes up cause I need a tune up cause top lever is moving with heavier shells. Love the gun and thinking of getting custom stock made but want to make sure I can shoot for years. Currently shooting about 15k per year. Sending to Coles for tune up.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: DT11 worn out?
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 8:01 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

jammerone wrote:
Was wondering same thing with DT 11, can they be rebuilt

jammerone wrote:
Sending to Coles for tune up.

You answered your own question

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 9:03 am 
Crown Grade

Have them replace the top lever spring.

I replaced the top lever spring on my dt10, made a huge difference in lockup. It was a stunning pain in the butt to replace though, so if its going to Coles let them do it.

One of Many

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 7:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have had mine for 6 years now and put lots of lead down the barrels. I am about 2 hours from the Maine shop and Jim the gunsmith there was taught by Rich a couple of years ago on the DT-11. Rich and Jim did my first service and last November I brought it up to Jim and they did a full service and it was time for the slide lock to be replaced and they used "first over" for the part, and if I have to go to second over several years from now, the gun will have outlasted me. Its a great gun and Coles is the ONLY shop that will work on mine!

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 5:02 am 
Tournament Grade

grizquad wrote:
I have had mine for 6 years now and put lots of lead down the barrels. I am about 2 hours from the Maine shop and Jim the gunsmith there was taught by Rich a couple of years ago on the DT-11. Rich and Jim did my first service and last November I brought it up to Jim and they did a full service and it was time for the slide lock to be replaced and they used "first over" for the part, and if I have to go to second over several years from now, the gun will have outlasted me. Its a great gun and Coles is the ONLY shop that will work on mine!
Wow, 6 yrs seems really quick for needing a new oversized locking bolt. How many rounds do you estimate "lots of lead" to be?

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 6:19 am 
Presentation Grade

Yes, all the parts subject to wear are replaceable. There is also a part in the forend that can be replaced to make the gun stiffer to open and close.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 6:55 am 
Presentation Grade

grizquad wrote:

Agreed, Coles reblued my bbl.'s, tighten the action & I had my 682 Gold SS restocked w/AA wood! They did a bang-up job! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

shacked wrote:
]Wow, 6 yrs seems really quick for needing a new oversized locking bolt. How many rounds do you estimate "lots of lead" to be?

Shacked, I don't shoot a lot but have approx. 35k registered and probably 10k to 15k unregistered in the 6 years. I brought it to Coles a couple of years ago for its first service and they did a quick tune up and changed a few springs. Rich said the slide lock will probably be ready in 2 more years, so I told Jim if it was close to just do it. Like I said this will probably out live me now!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for that info. I just got my DT11L back in Jan and already have 6.2k rounds through it so your response gives me a reference point.

Do you (or other DT11 owners) apply any kind of lube to your cross bolt or clean it in any way?

I have been using a needle oiler to very lightly oil the part of the crossbolt that is exposed when the action is open about every 3rd cleaning. I have also been using cotton buds in the receiver face openings at every cleaning to keep that part of the cross bolt as clean as possible. This is the part of the cross bolt that engages with the barrel lugs. I have not been lubricating any part of the cross bolt that engages the barrel lugs or the barrel lugs themselves.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:42 pm 
Crown Grade

I thought my DT10 cross bolt was close to needing replaced - but a new top lever spring cured the pop open issues I was having. I'm guessing I have probably 100,000 rounds through this gun.

I clean the cross bolt occasionally, minimal lube is what I was told.

One of Many

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:40 pm 
Field Grade

Wow, thanks for all the replies, looks like a tune up will cover the issues.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

I use a cloth with a little QMAXX sprayed on it to wipe out the receiver and just wipe the cross bolt that sticks out. No major lube, when I do a good cleaning, I wipe out the lug channels. I apply a little grease to the trunions on the barrel and the front edges of the receiver before I shoot. Just fyi, Jim at Coles told me there is a 2 over slide lock, and after that, they have a process that rebuilds the lugs on the barrel and then they put back original slide bolt. I will be long gone before my DT needs that!!