ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 694 vs. Cole Special 686
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:41 am 
Tournament Grade

Looking seriously at picking up a 694 but these Cole Special 686's with very nice wood are intriguing as well for the same money. My one complaint with the 694 is the crap woodset and silver receiver, the issue with the 686 Cole Special is the lack of extended chokes. Weights are within a few ounces so that's not much of a factor. This gun will be my last sporting gun purchase for few years so I want to be content/satisfied with the purchase until I can justify moving up a notch or two down the road.

What says the resident Beretta crowd, is the 694 a better gun for the money or should I stick to the proven 686 with the nicer wood and pick up a set of extended chokes?

Post subject: Re: 694 vs. Cole Special 686
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:50 am 
Presentation Grade

I don't believe Beretta has improved function since the 686. But i do like the shape and weight of the wood on the 694.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:33 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Tex-
Have you watch Rich Coles in depth run down on all the up grades to the 694? If not check it out. Then decide for yourself which way to go :)

https://youtu.be/S4Fm-CI18xU

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

Called and spoke with Coles and they informed me that the 686 Special does in fact come with extended chokes so that's nice. They also mentioned that they are currently working on some Cole's Special 694's with upgraded woodsets as well but they have been delayed due to the Covid nonsense. I just might hold out for one of those 694 Specials and pick up a 686 SP1 Sporting or something similar to hold me over for the next year until those hit the streets.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:37 pm 
Utility Grade

I recently was having a similar problem after looking at Coles vid but my other choice was Joel Etchen’s 687 All Around. Really liked the supposed durability of the 694 but loved the wood on the JE 687. My friend pointed out that the 694 isn’t yet proven but the 680 series has been around a long time. I decided on the 687 and doubt that I’ll live long enough to wear it out.