ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question about barrel selection on my new 687 SP III
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:39 am 
Crown Grade

I don't have a photo handy and am not presently where the gun is, but I suspect you guys will know what I am talking about. Unlike my Yildiz, the new Beretta has a tiny screw locking the barrel selector switch into place. What is that about? Do you commonly leave it locked up and just remove the screw when wanting to change the first barrel to shoot? That would be a pain. Or do you take the screw out and leave it out so that the barrels firing order can be reversed easily at any time? Is there a safety issue? I looked in the user manual for guidance but didn't see anything. Admittedly I didn't search thoroughly. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Question about barrel selection on my new 687 SP III
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:52 am 
Tournament Grade

Usually you see the barrel selector screw on Trap guns with a single barrel or a Trap Combo. The screw is set so that when the single barrel is installed on the gun the barrel selector is set for that barrel, either for an unsingle or a top single. They can be installed on any receiver if the owner wants the bottom (or top) barrel to fire first every time. I'm guessing pigeon (live bird) shooters might use them also.

You can take the screw out and leave it out, won't change any function of the barrel selector.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:07 am 
Field Grade

Mark Anthony wrote:
Usually you see the barrel selector screw on Trap guns with a single barrel or a Trap Combo. The screw is set so that when the single barrel is installed on the gun the barrel selector is set for that barrel, either for an unsingle or a top single. They can be installed on any receiver if the owner wants the bottom (or top) barrel to fire first every time. I'm guessing pigeon (live bird) shooters might use them also.

You can take the screw out and leave it out, won't change any function of the barrel selector.

This. When I got my Joel Etchen Signature Series 687 over/under it had one of those in place. I don't like it so I removed it, put it in a small zip lock bag and left it in the Beretta carry case in the unlikely case I want it for some reason in the future.

It's a nice feature for those who want to lock their selector into a set barrel position. Mine is an All Around gun, not a trap specific one, so the limiting screw had to be retire into the carry case.

Good luck with your Beretta.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:17 am 
Presentation Grade

I keep my barrel selector locked to prevent some Yahoo from changing it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:26 am 
Crown Grade

Mark Anthony wrote:

Thanks. Exactly what I needed to know. Mines for sporting clays so for sure I will remove the screw.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:00 am 
Tournament Grade

A shooting partner of mine was using a 682 Gold Sporting at shoot we were at. The station had a true pair that warranted using an open choke and a really tight choke. He was all set with the bottom barrel firing the open choke first. He raked his thumb across the barrel selector while accessing the lever to open the gun. After smoke balling the close shot and missing the distant bird twice, he realized what he did.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:02 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My SP1 Sporting does not have the screw or a place for it. Take it out and leave it out unless you want to lock the selector.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:07 am 
Crown Grade

Mark Anthony wrote:
A shooting partner of mine was using a 682 Gold Sporting at shoot we were at. The station had a true pair that warranted using an open choke and a really tight choke. He was all set with the bottom barrel firing the open choke first. He raked his thumb across the barrel selector while accessing the lever to open the gun. After smoke balling the close shot and missing the distant bird twice, he realized what he did.

Funny...unless you were him. :D

Most of the time I shoot the identical chokes in the two barrels. But I may need to do that some day.

Last edited by rpenmanparker on Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:08 am 
Crown Grade

Bill M. wrote:
My SP1 Sporting does not have the screw or a place for it. Take it out and leave it out unless you want to lock the selector.

{hs#