ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 693 Finicky Ejectors
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:51 am 
Field Grade

I have a new 20ga 693, and I'm finding that it's a bit finicky about ejecting shells. I've disassembled, cleaned, and lubed the ejectors. I was using some Browning Target shells and found that it occasionally wouldn't eject the bottom barrel. I tried some cheap Wal-Mart Winchester target loads, and it ejects them just fine. Then I tried some Federal Target loads last night, and it occasionally wouldn't eject the top barrel.

It doesn't happen a lot with any of them...maybe 5-10 out of 100 rounds. Just wondering if this is normal? Do you find ejectors can be finicky about what shells they like to eject?

Post subject: Re: 693 Finicky Ejectors
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:18 pm 
Crown Grade

Being the gun is new is the action stiff? You may not be fully opening the action enough each time. Lube the action good to make it open easily. Did you remove the springs,guides and clean the channels they sit in?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:28 pm 
Field Grade

lt0026 wrote:
Being the gun is new is the action stiff? You may not be fully opening the action enough each time. Lube the action good to make it open easily. Did you remove the springs,guides and clean the channels they sit in?

It is still fairly stiff. Not opening it fully was my exact thought when it first happened with just the bottom barrel, but could that cause the top barrel to not eject too even when the bottom barrel does?

I removed and cleaned the channels the ejectors slide in, but not the holes the springs go down in. Would it be worth cleaning those holes too?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:45 pm 
Crown Grade

Tip of the ejector may be hanging up on the forearm levers. Check for burrs. You may need to very lightly stone the tip of the ejector.

Take the wood off of the forearm iron and assemble the gun. Work it a few times, dry fire and cock it. Watch how the ejector tips interact with the forearm levers.

One of Many

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:20 pm 
Crown Grade

olsenjb wrote:
lt0026 wrote:

It is still fairly stiff. Not opening it fully was my exact thought when it first happened with just the bottom barrel, but could that cause the top barrel to not eject too even when the bottom barrel does?

I removed and cleaned the channels the ejectors slide in, but not the holes the springs go down in. Would it be worth cleaning those holes too?

Yes, use a Q tip in the holes and a small amount of oil on the guides and springs. Of course you already know that stuff (guides and springs) is spring loaded and can get wings when taken all the way out.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:21 pm 
Field Grade

lt0026 wrote:
olsenjb wrote:
lt0026 wrote:

Yes, use a Q tip in the holes and a small amount of oil on the guides and springs. Of course you already know that stuff is spring loaded and can get wings when taken all the way out.

Thank you. I'll give that a try as well as the suggestion of seeing if they need a little de-burring done to them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:26 pm 
Crown Grade

Be very careful doing any adjustment on ejectors. You can throw off the timing of the gun. You can't put back on what you took off. Don't void the warranty on a new gun. Send it to Coles under warranty if you have no luck.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:41 pm 
Field Grade

lt0026 wrote:
Be very careful doing any adjustment on ejectors. You can throw off the timing of the gun. You can't put back on what you took off. Don't void the warranty on a new gun. Send it to Coles under warranty if you have no luck.

Good advice. I do tend to get a bit gorilla-pawed with stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:10 pm 
Crown Grade

Ejectors aren't for the novice shade tree gunsmith.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:39 pm 
Crown Grade

No they are not. If you do anything to them - use a medium or hard arkansas stone by hand. Not a file, not a dremel tool, not a ginormous carbide sharpening stone. Follow the existing surfaces, you're polishing and de-burring, not reforming.

And - you definitely don't want to screw them up, they are over $200/ea. to replace.

Another thing to check - wiggle your forearm levers, if they have side to side play in them the set screw may have loosened. - unlikely but I've seen it happen. The set screw is a tiny little screw buried under the forearm wood.

One of Many

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:45 pm 
Crown Grade

It’s a new gun under warranty, not a diy project for someone with no knowledge about the possible fix.
The shade tree comes from the saying that someone is a “Shade Tree Gunsmith” (or mechanic). He sits under a shade tree in his yard, with a hammer, and anvil, and some old files and screw drivers. To them, every problem with a gun can be filed or pounded into working – sort of. He is perfectly willing to pound on your firearms, and file the parts down until he can hammer them into place.

‘Training? He don’t need no stinking training!”

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:56 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for all the responses.

Based on what I'm hearing, it sounds like it should eject EVERY brand of shell, correct? It's uncommon for ejectors to be finicky about certain shells?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:41 am 
Crown Grade

It's a new gun. You shouldn't be having this problem if it's properly cleaned and lubed. Send it to Coles under warranty. You will have it back in 2 weeks fixed.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:26 pm 
Field Grade

Took it apart and cleaned the ejectors, as well as the holes where the springs sit last night. I found that the ejectors did have just the tiniest burr on the end. I got out the white (finest) stone from my Spyderco knife sharpener, and made about 3 VERY LIGHT passes on them, and the burrs were gone.

Got out this morning and shot about 50 rounds of various ammo. Had 3 failures to eject (2 from the top barrel and 1 from the bottom) with the cheap Wal-Mart Federal High Brass ammo, but zero issues with any other ammo.

I'm still not convinced this isn't an ammo issue. I think I'll finish out this case, and then try to shoot a good volume of something else and see before deciding to ship it off.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

My wife's 691 Vittoria was finicky about ejecting when it was new. At 11k rounds now it has not had any issues the last probably 4k rounds.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:37 pm 
Crown Grade

But some of those Estate 1290 1 oz target loads from Walmart. They work in everything I have. Stoning those ejectors isn't the answer on a new gun under warranty.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:57 pm 
Field Grade

lt0026 wrote:
But some of those Estate 1290 1 oz target loads from Walmart. They work in everything I have. Stoning those ejectors isn't the answer on a new gun under warranty.

Couldn't agree more. If it had been anymore than a few light swipes with the stone, I wouldn't have attempted it. I don't intend to touch them again with the stone. I'll try some other ammo and see how it goes. Thanks again for all your suggestions.