ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wood on Beretta O/U
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:00 am 
Field Grade

I was looking online at the new 694s and am wondering if the wood is always all natural or if some of them are ink injected or altered in any way. I was looking on etchens and coles sites.

Post subject: Re: Wood on Beretta O/U
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:33 am 
Field Grade

Life of Riley wrote:
I was looking online at the new 694s and am wondering if the wood is always all natural or if some of them are ink injected or altered in any way. I was looking on etchens and coles sites.

It's my understanding that its a natural oil finished grade 2.5 with no injections.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:45 pm 
Field Grade

Just bought a 694 a few months ago. Looks all natural oil finish to me. I lucked out and found one with really nicely figured wood.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:38 pm 
Utility Grade

I bought a 687 all around from Joel Etchen and the wood is beautiful. It has some great natural curl and I like the oil finish better than the high gloss in my Browning. Don’t know about the 694.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

it's a hand rubbed oil finish kinda dull but not flat, just saw a new 694 last weekend at the north central regional, the wood looked good, not DT11 or DT10 good, but good. Pretty much on par with a 692.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:07 pm 
Limited Edition

I haven't been impressed with their standard wood on the 686 line in a while. I understand the SP1 is the entry level, but the last two I purchased look like plain stained pine.

Shoots fine of course, and could always go the custom stock route, but the cost goes up to the point that you might as well buy the next level up.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:25 pm 
Crown Grade

tvone wrote:
I haven't been impressed with their standard wood on the 686 line in a while. I understand the SP1 is the entry level, but the last two I purchased look like plain stained pine.

Shoots fine of course, and could always go the custom stock route, but the cost goes up to the point that you might as well buy the next level up.

Or buy a stock from Coles?
May cost more than the gun??

Last edited by Dr Duk on Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:15 pm 
Limited Edition

Dr Duk wrote:
tvone wrote:

May cost more then the gun??

That is my point. If I want good wood, I need to spend another $1,200 or so. I'm a lefty, so used guns are not that common.

Beretta is good about having left hand guns available from the distributors for quick gratification.

Don't get me wrong, the 686 works fine and is a good value, however I have better wood on my Yildiz.

The wood on the current 686 line reminds me of the old Sears and Roebuck shotguns!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:28 pm 
Crown Grade

Entry level guns get entry level wood. There are teasers out there if you look long and hard.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

tvone wrote:
Dr Duk wrote:
tvone wrote:

May cost more then the gun??

That is my point. If I want good wood, I need to spend another $1,200 or so. I'm a lefty, so used guns are not that common.

Beretta is good about having left hand guns available from the distributors for quick gratification.

Don't get me wrong, the 686 works fine and is a good value, however I have better wood on my Yildiz.

The wood on the current 686 line reminds me of the old Sears and Roebuck shotguns!

The wood on my 686 reminded me of a church pew, except that church pews generally have a better finish. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

Duplicate.

Last edited by moishepipick on Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have thought of buying an Onyx with the plain receiver to avoid the crappy 686 SP I engraving and upgrading the wood. I bet you could put together a nice package that way for not too much money. Maybe less than a Cole’s or Etchen Special package gun. Question is, are the Onyxes even still being made? They certainly are hard to find.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

While the wood on my 686 SP1 was rather plain and thinly finished, I thought that the metal finish was good. The "engraving" on the receiver was tasteful and the barrel bluing was quite nice.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:00 pm 
Limited Edition

lossking wrote:
While the wood on my 686 SP1 was rather plain and thinly finished, I thought that the metal finish was good. The "engraving" on the receiver was tasteful and the barrel bluing was quite nice.

I agree that the metal finish is done very well. I have several older 686's, 682, and a Teknys that all have nice wood.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

The wood is always sub par on a Beretta for the money. I don't really give a hoot when it comes to the SP1 line because you aren't buying that gun for pretty wood, it's their entry level 686 and most are slinging them around at a clays course or in the field while hunting and they will get beat up. I'd rather not care about bumps and bruises on a gun like that, keep the pretty stuff for the higher end models.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:11 pm 
Crown Grade

Wood doesn't brake or hit targets. Most cracks that I see are the result of failure in fancy grain and knots.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

Dr Duk wrote:
tvone wrote:

May cost more than the gun??

I’m a wood whore, so I did that. Got some great wood.