ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Beretta Owner -- Well my wife is...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hi all,

Name is Jordan, I frequent the Winchester page as I have a couple of model 12's and a newly acquired Super X 1 I plan on using for sporting clays.

I have been able to get my wife interested with me as a fundraiser and marketing opportunity for her current job. We both joined our local sporting clays club and will go practice some 5 stand this weekend.

I was on the hunt for her a gas semi auto 20 ga to use and won the auction on the one below last night:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/876726839

I don't think I got a screaming deal, but think I did ok.

Anyhow, I've read up on the A303 and it appears to be a fine gas gun offering from Beretta that is simpler than their current guns offered today.

I am aware it has a magnum barrel on it, no idea if the gas ports have been opened up or not, I will find out when it arrives here.

Any other tips on this gun? I might have a lead on another barrel I might add to just have, but otherwise I might buy a couple of chokes, but just plan to just shoot it.

Last edited by cclark31 on Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: New Beretta Owner -- Well my wife is...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:36 pm 
Diamond Grade

You're aware of the only issue I can think of - the 3" barrel.

I bought a 20 gauge 303 for my wife when she first started shooting and had to send the barrel to Rich Cole to open the ports for reliable operation with 2 3/4" cartridges. After the ports were enlarged it was dead nuts reliable. She became interested in SxS's and now has a 16 gauge Ugartechea BLE and a 20 gauge Grulla SLE - she gave the 303 to her adult son and he continues to shoot it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

This gun only comes with a full choke. Any nods to specific chokes? Looks like it uses the Mobil choke system.

I can go with OEM or aftermarket. Just looking for a IC or LM and maybe Mod.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:05 pm 
Diamond Grade

My wife's came with IC, Mod and Full. The IC choke stayed in it the entire time she had.

OEM or aftermarket are all fine.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:34 pm 
Crown Grade

cclark31 wrote:
Hi all,

Name is Jordan, I frequent the Winchester page as I have a couple of model 12's and a newly acquired Super X 1 I plan on using for sporting clays.

I have been able to get my wife interested with me as a fundraiser and marketing opportunity for her current job. We both joined our local sporting clays club and will go practice some 5 stand this weekend.

I was on the hunt for her a gas semi auto 20 ga to use and one the auction on the one below last night:

Anyhow, I've read up on the A303 and it appears to be a fine gas gun offering from Beretta that is simpler than their current guns offered today.

I am aware it has a magnum barrel on it, no idea if the gas ports have been opened up or not, I will find out when it arrives here.

Any other tips on this gun? I might have a lead on another barrel I might add to just have, but otherwise I might buy a couple of chokes, but just plan to just shoot it.

I really like the Beretta 303 because IMO it is so much simpler and easier to clean than later models. The only tip I have learned from using one is that I find the best results shooting the gas system dry or nearly so.

They only have the action spring in buttstock to protect the bolt from banging the back of the receiver so that needs to be replaced on a regular basis. Bruce Buck from Shooting Sportsman magazine loves the 303 and recommends replacing that spring at least every 8-10,000 rounds.

If you are going to get a 2 3/4 inch barrel then why not leave the magnum barrel as is? Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

oyeme wrote:
cclark31 wrote:
Hi all,

I was on the hunt for her a gas semi auto 20 ga to use and one the auction on the one below last night:

I really like the Beretta 303 because IMO it is so much simpler and easier to clean than later models. The only tip I have learned from using one is that I find the best results shooting the gas system dry or nearly so.

They only have the action spring in buttstock to protect the bolt from banging the back of the receiver so that needs to be replaced on a regular basis. Bruce Buck from Shooting Sportsman magazine loves the 303 and recommends replacing that spring at least every 8-10,000 rounds.

If you are going to get a 2 3/4 inch barrel then why not leave the magnum barrel as is? Good luck!

I don't intend to mess with the magnum barrel, but it could have already have ports drilled out or been modified. I'll get it and try to shoot it and see what happens.

I will say 2 & 3/4" 20 ga barrels don't seem to grow on trees.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:42 am 
Tournament Grade

Going to pick up the A303 after work today from the FFL.

Will get a chance to get it on the range this weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:48 am 
Crown Grade

People who complain about cleaning Beretta gas guns probably clean them more than required.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:58 pm 
Crown Grade

lt0026 wrote:
People who complain about cleaning Beretta gas guns probably clean them more than required.

True statement!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:49 am 
Tournament Grade

Went and picked it up from the FFL last night. Wow, thing looks brand new!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:51 am 
Tournament Grade

And one more....

I've got some 1 oz heavy dove loads to try in it this weekend along with some 7/8 oz loads. I hope it cycles them all just fine.....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:06 pm 
Crown Grade

You better be pushing way over 1300 fps in 1 oz to have a chance cycling with that magnum barrel. And make sure the gas system is pristine and the gun is properly lubed. With 7/8ths I would be surprised if it cycles light loads if the ports weren't opened.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:32 pm 
Crown Grade

lt0026 wrote:
You better be pushing way over 1300 fps in 1 oz to have a chance cycling with that magnum barrel. And make sure the gas system is pristine and the gun is properly lubed. With 7/8ths I would be surprised if it cycles light loads if the ports weren't opened.

Always clean and lube a new gun, whether new or used!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

lt0026 wrote:

I'll see what happens at the range tomorrow. If I remember correctly, the 1 oz loads are 1165.

Also, this barrel could have been modified.

Just have to try, if it doesn't work, I've got a lead on a couple 3 inch barrels that I'll probably have modified to shoot target loads. And have one for each.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

Dr Duk wrote:
lt0026 wrote:

Always clean and lube a new gun, whether new or used!

I'll try to do it tonight or in the morning first thing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:26 pm 
Presentation Grade

Well, how did the range session with the new gun go...?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:36 am 
Tournament Grade

cleboje wrote:
Well, how did the range session with the new gun go...?

It shot the heavy dove loads (1oz) and cycled fine to start on a clean gun. But as suspected it won't cycle the 7/8 oz field loads.

I have another barrel on the way to me in the interim. I picked up older 2 & 3/4" barrel that has been shorten with skeet choke for less than $100. Figured it will help out until I decide what direction I'm going to take on the 3" barrel.

At this point, I think I will send the 3" barrel to Cole's and let them open the ports. I won't ever put this gun on duck duty or require 3" shells. I have many other guns that I can use for that. Besides gun is way to nice for anything other than dove duty and target duty.

Best part is the wife loved it!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:38 am 
Tournament Grade

Oh and I did measure the ports using drill bits. From the info I found online for the B-80, they appear unaltered from for the magnum barrel size.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:51 pm 
Presentation Grade

Good to hear the barrel ports are unaltered and it handles 1oz loads reliably as it gives you a blank slate to adjust from.

One of my favorite dove loads is the Winchester AA heavy target load (1oz of 8 shot at 1165 FPS) as it provides enough energy to cycle my 3” and 2&3/4” chambered barrels...and it’s some kind of serious dove medicine.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:01 pm 
Crown Grade

For 20 gauge I like the 7/8ths 1300 fps AA target loads for everything. I bet they cycle your gun.