ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New Beretta Owner -- Well my wife is...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

cleboje wrote:
Good to hear the barrel ports are unaltered and it handles 1oz loads reliably as it gives you a blank slate to adjust from.

One of my favorite dove loads is the Winchester AA heavy target load (1oz of 8 shot at 1165 FPS) as it provides enough energy to cycle my 3” and 2&3/4” chambered barrels...and it’s some kind of serious dove medicine.

That is basically the same load I was using this weekend. Except it was the Remington Sur-Shoot heavy dove loads, but same 1165 and 1 oz of #8's.

My other barrel is on its way. I'll play with it some too. Not in any hurry got plenty of other guns to get me by.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:23 am 
Tournament Grade

I got my new to me 2 & 3/4" barrel in. It is very clean.

It was originally 26 inches, but it appears to be a barrel that had the external threaded chokes that Beretta offered prior to the Mobil choke system. Someone appears to have cut that off, but they did a very good job of it. Must have been a professional, not Joe Blow with a hack saw.

I was told it mics to .006" restriction or around a skeet choke.

I"ll try it out this way for now, if I decide we need more constriction, I might send it off to Briley and get it threaded for Mobil chokes that I can share with the magnum barrel. If I do that, I'll still have less in it than if I bought a good condition 2 & 3/4" barrel from somewhere else.

I'll post some pictures of it later today. I'm going to the range after work to try out some 7/8 oz loads and see how it does. I did confirm the gas ports are larger on this barrel than my magnum barrel with drill bit shanks last night, so I believe it will work just fine.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:23 am 
Tournament Grade

Pictures.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

The new barrel was a bust for now. It looks like it has been sleeved. Any 20 gauge factory shells wouldn't fit in the chamber. I think someone had converted it to a 28 gauge... Not sure?

The seller is swapping it out with another barrel for me. It should be here later this week.

On another note, I took the gun on a dove hunt this morning. The gun performed great with 1 oz heavy dove loads from Remington. What a sweet shooter too. I am very happy with my purchase at this point. I am confident the gun will work with 1 oz loads at 1165 fps with the 3 inch barrel.

I think the heavy, slower loads actually work better with the smaller gas ports.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

Hope you get the barrel sorted, nice guns deserve good barrels.

Did you shoot the fundraiser tournament ?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:05 am 
Tournament Grade

Rack-N-Roy wrote:
Hope you get the barrel sorted, nice guns deserve good barrels.

Did you shoot the fundraiser tournament ?

I did with my Super X 1. Scored an 86. Not bad for my first time ever shooting sporting clays. Our team game in second. My 13 year old son shot a 56 on his first time too, he subbed for my wife because she said she wasn't ready yet. Got to get this gun in her hands more and practice.