ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Picked up new SP 1 sporting and couple questions
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

Purchased a new SP 1 sporting today. Got couple questions:

1. Is it normal for the chokes to go in a little rough? They screw in but not smoothly. Guess they will get better? Would it be choke or threads inside? Didn’t clean threads yet.

2. Had one misfire out of 3 boxes on a Remington game load shell. It dented primer, just didn’t fire. Anything to worry about? Been shooting those shells with other guns and no problem ever.

3. Forearm stock got hot when shooting about 3 boxes. Guess this is normal. The metal stock release pull lever was part that was hot.

Any other info about this gun would be helpful.

Thanks jed

Post subject: Re: Picked up new SP 1 sporting and couple questions
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:17 pm 
Diamond Grade

1- not terribly unusual for the Berettas i've owned. clean barrel and choke threads and put a thin amount of grease on them.

2-Note which barrel this happened to and move on.

3-if you shoot rapidly they do get hot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:59 am 
Limited Edition

Concur with 39’s assessment. Add to 2, try other brand shells if it continues.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:48 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It sounds to me like you are in for a good cleaning and lubing. I had neither of the problems you report with my new SP1. At the very least put some oil on the cocking levers and work them back and forth a few times. That is the usual cause of light strikes in a 686. I do not think what you describe would be considered "normal". But probably mild enough that you will have to deal with it yourself. If the chokes do not clean up or if the light strikes continue I would think about sending it to Coles for a warranty inspection. The game load shells could be the problem. You just need some trigger time for an evaluation.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:08 am 
Presentation Grade

pretty standard with all 3 things there.

When I got my new 692, the ejectors were so damn sharp you would get cut looking at them while the gun was broken open. Now they are duller then a 10 year old black lab's mouth, and it's brain too.

Regardless when shooting alot, one thing to consider is to switch the firing order of the barrels from time to time, and or leave the gun broken open for a bit and let it cool.

Sticky chokes......a touch of beretta lube, and just screw them in and out and they will find their happy home, enjoy the new gun

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:17 am 
Presentation Grade

Thanks guys. The choke problem was the factory chokes. After market Comp-n-Chokes went right in smoothly. No more misfires after switching shells. Only complaint I have now is the barrel heats up through the stock really hot. Shot 3 boxes of shells in pretty short order and couldnt hardly hold it. When I say hot, I mean I had to say it down.

Jed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:31 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

jed1894 wrote:
Thanks guys. The choke problem was the factory chokes. After market Comp-n-Chokes went right in smoothly. No more misfires after switching shells. Only complaint I have now is the barrel heats up through the stock really hot. Shot 3 boxes of shells in pretty short order and couldnt hardly hold it. When I say hot, I mean I had to say it down.

Jed

That's yet another reason why many shooters wear a glove... or two. Barrels get hot, especially in the summer time. Oil can make the stock slippery, and sharp checkering can irritate a shooter's hands during recoil.

I can't think of any good reason NOT to wear a glove(s) while shooting. To me, a shotgun just feels more comfortable and more secure when I'm wearing gloves. YMMV.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:40 pm 
Diamond Grade

If I’m working on a single station for practice and go through a half dozen or more pairs quickly the barrels get hot enough to cause pain if I touch them. I’m learning to slow down a bit which helps.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:26 am 
Presentation Grade

Got another small issue if you guys can give some advice:

The top ejector is sticking on every 7 shots or so. I have to pull the empty shell out by hand. When I push in by hand I can feel some roughness and it sticks about every 4th push in. I can press harder and it releases. I took it apart and cleaned good and still does it. Might just need some time to work it out.

It almost feels like I could take some sand paper and smooth out the ejector pin but wanted to see what you guys thought first.

Thanks jed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:44 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

jed1894 wrote:
Got another small issue if you guys can give some advice:

The top ejector is sticking on every 7 shots or so. I have to pull the empty shell out by hand. When I push in by hand I can feel some roughness and it sticks about every 4th push in. I can press harder and it releases. I took it apart and cleaned good and still does it. Might just need some time to work it out.

It almost feels like I could take some sand paper and smooth out the ejector pin but wanted to see what you guys thought first.

Thanks jed

A little "polishing" could well help the situation. You've already checked for cuttings and debris in the channel, so we will assume that's not a problem. Polishing, lubrication, and continued use to wear it in should do the job.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Depending on what you meant by "sandpaper" a hard Arkansas stone might be a better choice. De burr the edges a little.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:06 pm 
Presentation Grade

Update:

The sticking is coming from the spring and pin. The slide (sorry not sure of correct name) moves freely. With the ejector off, I can push spring in and feel it catching or hitting something in the small hole/tube. I flipped the spring around and put a little grease on the pin and it ejected good today dove hunting. The pin appears to be fine and in good shape. I plan to see if I can see if anything is out of specs on the spring chamber tomor.

Shot probably 5 boxes this afternoon it it ejected fine. So, either the grease worked or flipping the spring around.... or I loosened up whatever was causing problem.

Jed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

the ejectors are razor sharp on just about any brand new over and under, I used to get cuts on my hands when I just looked at my 692.

It will take a bit of time, keep oiling them every time you shoot, and they will free up, it will take some time, it took about 2,000 rounds or so to stop catching and binding, but it's been problem free ever since.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"