ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beretta DT11
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:53 am 
Tournament Grade

Purchased NEW DT11. The gun has doubled many times, sent gun to Coles twice, purchased new trigger housing group, gun still doubles. HELP.

Thank you in advance: Junnie

Post subject: Re: Beretta DT11
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:00 am 
Tournament Grade

What are Cole's telling you?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:03 am 
Presentation Grade

Does it double when you fire the top barrel first? Or does it double with either barrel first?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:23 am 
Tournament Grade

bottom barrel. Coles isn't saying much, except sold my son a new trigger housing group.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:25 am 
Tournament Grade

Now my sone is second guessing himself every time he pulls the trigger, if the gun is going to double.
Starting to flinch....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:34 pm 
Utility Grade

"Assuming" son is a newish shooter. Try some light loads 7/8 or find someone to load 3/4 oz. Betting he is twitching a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Have you asked others to try shooting it? Reason I asked is could be trapping the trigger causing a fan fire. Since the "11 has nice crisp triggers(I own a '11 Black) and if not having a firm(not death grip) hold/mount after you shoot the first bbl the gun coming back forward could be hitting his trigger finger causing the fan fire. Needs to make sure he's fully releasing the trigger.

Just a thought :)

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:47 pm 
Crown Grade

JimJsa wrote:
"Assuming" son is a newish shooter. Try some light loads 7/8 or find someone to load 3/4 oz. Betting he is twitching a bit.

Most flinches are caused by visual issues, not recoil. He is probably doing something anticipating a problem and taking his eye off the target. Which in turn causes him to chase the target, panic and flinch.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:54 pm 
Presentation Grade

Try shooting top barrel first For a while. if doesn’t double, that Solves the flinch / fan fire question. Fan fire can usually be heard as 2 fast bangs like an automatic. Doubling is just one loud bang.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Is he changing the barrel selector without putting it on Safe first?

Is it doubling or fanfiring?

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:22 pm 
Crown Grade

Skeet_Man wrote:

I change the barrel selection on my DY-11 all the time without putting the safety on first, no issues whatsoever; my understanding is that is a Perazzi situation

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oneounceload wrote:
Skeet_Man wrote:

I change the barrel selection on my DY-11 all the time without putting the safety on first, no issues whatsoever; my understanding is that is a Perazzi situation

It could feasibly be an issue with many selectable break action that do not have a down, across, up barrel selector, which forces you go put the gun on safe before the order is changed.

It has to do with clearance between the lifter/inertia block and sears, if the clearance is at a bare minimum the lifter may not switch completely from one sear to the other, which results in lifting both sears simultaneously since the lifter is partway under both sears. Putting the safety on prevents this issue.

If a break action is doubling (truly doubling, NOT fanfiring), there is ZERO reason not to TRY putting the safety on before changing barrel selection, to see if that solves the problem, you literally have NOTHING to lose in giving it a try. Of course if this is happening without manipulation of the selector something else is going on.

[email protected]

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:15 am 
Limited Edition

The chances of two trigger groups being faulty is very unlikely. Coles being indifferent about a gun they sold is also very unlikely. The very design of the DT trigger makes it darn near impossible for a true double to happen. The sear lifter either catches one sear or none (middle position). Let someone else shoot the gun and see if it continues.
bc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:00 am 
Diamond Grade

OP would be helpful to mention if you bought the gun from Coles. The comment about buying a new trigger group ($$$) doesn’t mix well with a new gun from a reputable dealer like Cole having an issue.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:49 am 
Tournament Grade

JimJsa wrote:

He shot over 30 thousand registered targets last year.

Last edited by Junnie on Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:54 am 
Tournament Grade

lt0026 wrote:
JimJsa wrote:

Most flinches are caused by visual issues, not recoil. He is probably doing something anticipating a problem and taking his eye off the target. Which in turn causes him to chase the target, panic and flinch.

Interesting answer: Is that why they introduced release triggers????

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

purchased the gun from Joel Etchen about a year ago... my son is no slouch of a shooter, as reported shot well over 30 thousand registered targets last year. Yes, the gun doubles, no fan fire. Have a Beretta Silver Snipe I purchase over 60 years ago, shot thousands of rounds with, never doubled or fan fire, once in awhile I would loan gun to others, and yes of course gun would fanfire, new shooter....

Coles talked him into another trigger housing group..... not cheap... nothing worse than having gun problems while shooting registered rock, thousand miles from home....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:12 pm 
Diamond Grade

Ok it’s good to note Coles didn’t sell the gun new then pitch a new trigger group to him. What is warranty period and have you spoken to JE about the issue?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

I don't who or what JE is??????
I was looking to talk with the owners in Italy or at least email them.
I would at least think Beretta would offer some type of condolence such as: cheap pistol etc.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Did you see my question?
Did Coles look at the gun/trigger in question or try and diagnose something over the phone?

Beretta isn't going to give you ANYTHING, so you're wasting your time there. Best case is you may be able to get someone to answer you in MD, at which point you'll need to send the gun in on your dime for inspection.

[email protected]