ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What chokes come with a 686 SP I Sporting?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:03 pm 
Field Grade

I recently ordered a 12 gauge 686 Silver Pigeon I sporting from Grabagun and I’m trying to figure out what choke tubes the gun comes with, I know it take the Optima HP chokes, but does it come with any skeet chokes? I shoot skeet mainly and would like to have some skeet chokes waiting for it when I receive the gun. I read online that it comes with 1 skeet choke then I read that it doesn’t come with any at all.

Any help would be great thank you! And are the factory chokes any good?

Post subject: Re: What chokes come with a 686 SP I Sporting?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:12 pm 
Crown Grade

Very doubtful; if it comes with 3, you'll get IC, M, F. If it is a target version, and you get 5, you'll get C, IC, M, IM, F, which is typical for European makers.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:57 pm 
Field Grade

Thank you and yes it is the target model it says it comes with 5 Chokes, are the beretta chokes good to go or should I go to the aftermarket?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:07 pm 
Crown Grade

Only way to tell is to take the ammo you intend to shoot to the pattern plate and see how they perform.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

Choke brand makes no significant difference whatsoever. Even if the same nominal constriction gives two different patterns from two different choke brands, there will almost always be a constriction in one with a pattern that will match another constriction in the other and more importantly the actual pattern you are looking for.

Why would you trust Beretta to make the gun but not the chokes?

It is unlikely you will get a skeet choke in the package. If you want to buy Beretta chokes, they are not overpriced. Sign onto their website and you will start getting offers for special prices on all their goods. It pays to buy several chokes at once from them as they make allowances for exceeding minimum amounts like free shipping or dollars off the price.

Other brands are good too. Briley is well thought of. Trulock is inexpensive. Muller has a cult following. Teague is esoteric. And so on. It is up to you.

Last edited by Auldthymer on Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:40 pm 
Field Grade

Auldthymer wrote:
Choke brand makes no significant difference whatsoever. Even if the same nominal constriction gives two different patterns from two different choke brands, there will almost always be a constriction in one with a pattern that will match another constriction in the other and More importantly the actual pattern you are looking for.

Why would you trust Beretta to make the gun but not the chokes?

It is unlikely you will get a skeet choke in the package. If you want to buy Beretta chokes, they are not overpriced. Sign onto their website and you will start getting offers for special prices on all their goods. It pays to buy several chokes at once from them as they make allowances for exceeding minimum amounts like free shipping or dollars off the price.

Other brands are good too. Briley is well thought of. Trulock is inexpensive. Muller has a cult following. Teague is esoteric. And so on. It is up to you.

Thank you, I will go ahead and order the chokes from Beretta then. Sorry I’m sure that what I asked was a stupid question but I am new to owning a Beretta O/U, before this I had a beat up Yildiz.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have a SP1 I bought last year. It comes with 5 Optima HP chokes. 1 of them is marked skeet. One is marked cylinder and is slightly more open than the skeet. Both have constriction. All in all the gun comes with a very useful set of chokes. I think you should try the chokes with the gun unless you want extended chokes anyway

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:48 pm 
Field Grade

Bill M. wrote:
I have a SP1 I bought last year. It comes with 5 Optima HP chokes. 1 of them is marked skeet. One is marked cylinder and is slightly more open than the skeet. Both have constriction. All in all the gun comes with a very useful set of chokes. I think you should try the chokes with the gun unless you want extended chokes anyway

Yes that my goal use the chokes that came with the gun, I’m just trying to figure out how many skeet chokes to buy lol looks like I’m gonna have to wait till I get the gun from my FFL.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:37 pm 
Crown Grade

I wouldn't buy ANY until you pattern the gun. You might find that the C and IC chokes perform flawlessly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:40 pm 
Diamond Grade

oneounceload wrote:
I wouldn't buy ANY until you pattern the gun. You might find that the C and IC chokes perform flawlessly

^ +1.

The aftermarket choke industry might shrink or disappear if every shotgun owner patterned his shotguns with the chokes that came with them... :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:52 pm 
Field Grade

oneounceload wrote:

Thank you, I’ll be sure to do that first!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Like all things Beretta....it is a little confusing.
From the Beretta website the Optima HP constrictions are:

Cylinder .004"
Skeet .006"
IC .013"

So basically we have 2 skeet chokes in the set already. I am not sure ordering 2 chokes with .005" constriction is going to make a big difference. Not sure it will not make a difference. Sorta how you feel about it. For me I can shoot 1 pattern at 20 yards and pretty much decide if it is a skeet choke or not. I have not done that with the Beretta yet. My skeet range and the range with a patterning board have been closed all year. Most of my shooting was trap with a LtFull I ordered. I did pattern it and the IM. Both were about as expected. I did not count pellets.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:26 pm 
Limited Edition

When you buy the chokes choose the extended chokes. In my opinion they make the gun a lot easier and more enjoyable to shoot and also protects the muzzle. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:32 am 
Presentation Grade

Cccollin545 wrote:
I recently ordered a 12 gauge 686 Silver Pigeon I sporting from Grabagun and I’m trying to figure out what choke tubes the gun comes with, I know it take the Optima HP chokes, but does it come with any skeet chokes? I shoot skeet mainly and would like to have some skeet chokes waiting for it when I receive the gun. I read online that it comes with 1 skeet choke then I read that it doesn’t come with any at all.

Any help would be great thank you! And are the factory chokes any good?

Just bought one last week. Mine did not come with any skeet chokes. Disappointed because that is the intended use for gun. Came with 5 chokes (cyl, ic, mod, im, full). None of them screwed in smoothly. Bought 5 extended comp-n-chokes that screwed very smooth. Factory ones back on case. If you get aftermarket, make sure they are HP.... regular optima will not work. Also, if you buy a new one, you should get gift coupon after you register it. Berettausa has some good looking chokes. If you buy today, they have 30% off but sale ends today.

Jed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

Bill M. wrote:

Cylinder .004"
Skeet .006"
IC .013"

So basically we have 2 skeet chokes in the set already. I am not sure ordering 2 chokes with .005" constriction is going to make a big difference. Not sure it will not make a difference. Sorta how you feel about it. For me I can shoot 1 pattern at 20 yards and pretty much decide if it is a skeet choke or not. I have not done that with the Beretta yet. My skeet range and the range with a patterning board have been closed all year. Most of my shooting was trap with a LtFull I ordered. I did pattern it and the IM. Both were about as expected. I did not count pellets.

When you look up Beretta’s own factory choke constrictions, you also see other examples of unusual constrictions for common choke designations like LM (Skeet 2). And you see a big hole in the progression where LM usually falls. You don’t see the usual progression by units of .005” like in other gun brands and even aftermarket offerings for Berettas. Do they know something that other people don’t? I can’t say, but I’m the absence of the energy to pattern them for myself, I would be happy to just take their word for it and use the choke as they label them. People often say the proof is at the pattern board, and I get that. But the REAL proof is when the clay does or doesn’t break.

First thing I do when I buy a new gun is to buy two full, matching, 7-choke sets from C to F including both Skeets. Sometimes OEM. Sometimes aftermarket third party. Always extended. Always stainless. Two sets because I shoot the same choke top and bottom. Then instead of patterning them, which I despise about as much as going to the dentist, I choose an obvious identical pair of chokes for the selected discipline and go shoot. It either works or it doesn’t. Too tight? I loosen up one level and try again. Too loose? Tighten up. Easy-peasy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

So your "usual method" consists of buying 19 chokes for each gun and then shooting the same choke in each barrel?

Here I am hoping I can identify 3 magic titanium extended chokes ahead of purchase to keep the barrel weight and the cost down.

Right now I take the flush IC and Mod out and put them back in after every few shooting days. I am hitting targets okay for me now. I have corrected a stock fit problem and that help a lot more than open chokes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:25 pm 
Crown Grade

Auldthymer wrote:
Bill M. wrote:

Cylinder .004"
Skeet .006"
IC .013"

When you look up Beretta’s own factory choke constrictions, you also see other examples of unusual constrictions for common choke designations like LM (Skeet 2). And you see a big hole in the progression where LM usually falls. You don’t see the usual progression by units of .005” like in other gun brands and even aftermarket offerings for Berettas. Do they know something that other people don’t? I can’t say, but I’m the absence of the energy to pattern them for myself, I would be happy to just take their word for it and use the choke as they label them. People often say the proof is at the pattern board, and I get that. But the REAL proof is when the clay does or doesn’t break.

First thing I do when I buy a new gun is to buy two full, matching, 7-choke sets from C to F including both Skeets. Sometimes OEM. Sometimes aftermarket third party. Always extended. Always stainless. Two sets because I shoot the same choke top and bottom. Then instead of patterning them, which I despise about as much as going to the dentist, I choose an obvious identical pair of chokes for the selected discipline and go shoot. It either works or it doesn’t. Too tight? I loosen up one level and try again. Too loose? Tighten up. Easy-peasy.

Big waste of money - your money, your choice.
European makers are metric, not SAE so they use MM and in 4 mm differences. Why not just shoot a semi, then you only have to buy one of each. Personally, I find a full set of 7 (7????) silly. For each barrel, you need one for close, one for most and one for far. For skeet to trap and sporting one could easily get by with Sk for close, LM for most, and IM for far.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

Bill M. wrote:
So your "usual method" consists of buying 19 chokes for each gun and then shooting the same choke in each barrel?

Here I am hoping I can identify 3 magic titanium extended chokes ahead of purchase to keep the barrel weight and the cost down.

Right now I take the flush IC and Mod out and put them back in after every few shooting days. I am hitting targets okay for me now. I have corrected a stock fit problem and that help a lot more than open chokes.

Crazy, huh?

Well, not exactly. First off, I sell the OEM chokes if they aren’t extended and stainless. So that would mean not buying more than 14. And if the OEM chokes are extended and stainless and I get 5 with the gun, that means buying only 9. And I use a lot of them. I change chokes for time to time in pairs. When I shoot skeet, of course, I use the Skeet1 chokes. Trap requires at least IM. And for sporting clays I am waffling between LM and M right now. So I get good use out of my choke collection. And they are pretty to look at. {hs#

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

oneounceload wrote:
Auldthymer wrote:
Bill M. wrote:

Cylinder .004"
Skeet .006"
IC .013"

Big waste of money - your money, your choice.
European makers are metric, not SAE so they use MM and in 4 mm differences. Why not just shoot a semi, then you only have to buy one of each. Personally, I find a full set of 7 (7????) silly. For each barrel, you need one for close, one for most and one for far. For skeet to trap and sporting one could easily get by with Sk for close, LM for most, and IM for far.

I have no idea what you are talking about. 4 mm? Hardly. That would be about 0.16 inches. The usual differential between constrictions is 1/32 of that, 0.005 inches. Not sure what you mean. And even so, I hear there is a conversion between mm and inches. Thst doesn’t really explain anything.

As for semiautomatics, eeeew!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:34 pm 
Diamond Grade

Auldthymer wrote:
When you look up Beretta’s own factory choke constrictions, you also see other examples of unusual constrictions for common choke designations...

That's no BS! There are even some differences between constrictions of different gauges, as in, the 28ga. Beretta Mobilchoke "Skeet" choke is European style, ie: negative choke (larger than the bore), while their larger gauge Skeet chokes are American style, with a smaller-than-bore diameter.

https://estore.beretta.com/en-eu/documents/constrictions-or-dimensions-on-my-beretta-choke-tubes/