ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question about keeping an a300 stored but ready
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:25 pm 
Utility Grade

I am a newbie (first fired it today). I have a question about storing the gun and keeping it (nearly) ready for an emergency.

(1) I have been told that I should not store it with the trigger cocked, so I bought a snap cap.

(2) If I put a snapcap in through the breach and load the magazine with 3 live rounds, can I just eject the snap cap and load a round through the ejection post when I am ready to fire or is there some sort of interlocking mechanism or whatever when I eject the snap cap?

(3) If I should not do the above what should I do? I don't want a live round in the chamber while the gun is stored.

Many Thanks,

Post subject: Re: Question about keeping an a300 stored but ready
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:23 am 
Crown Grade

If you eject the snap cap, the first round from the mag will then be chambered and you'll be GTG.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:57 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oneounceload wrote:
If you eject the snap cap, the first round from the mag will then be chambered and you'll be GTG.

That's true ONLY if he drops the hammer on the snap cap. If he doesn't drop the hammer, he could jack the bolt all day and a round won't come out of the magazine.

My suggestion is to forget the snap cap idea completely. You don't need a snap cap with a semi-auto. They're good for nothing except causing problems, and you don't need them anyway.

What I would do with that gun if I wanted to keep it ready without a round in the chamber is to pull the bolt completely to the rear and then release it to close on an empty chamber. Then load as many rounds into the magazine as possible. THEN, pull the trigger on the empty chamber. NOW, the gun is ready to be put into action by pulling the bolt fully rearward and releasing it. This will load a round into the chamber and you'll be ready to Rock 'N Roll!

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:50 am 
Crown Grade

Ulysses wrote:
oneounceload wrote:

That's true ONLY if he drops the hammer on the snap cap. If he doesn't drop the hammer, he could jack the bolt all day and a round won't come out of the magazine.

My suggestion is to forget the snap cap idea completely. You don't need a snap cap with a semi-auto. They're good for nothing except causing problems, and you don't need them anyway.

What I would do with that gun if I wanted to keep it ready without a round in the chamber is to pull the bolt completely to the rear and then release it to close on an empty chamber. Then load as many rounds into the magazine as possible. THEN, pull the trigger on the empty chamber. NOW, the gun is ready to be put into action by pulling the bolt fully rearward and releasing it. This will load a round into the chamber and you'll be ready to Rock 'N Roll!

No need for a snap cap.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:11 am 
Diamond Grade

Skip the snap cap. But most of all, BE CAREFUL! Be absolutely sure you're dropping the hammer on an empty chamber. Check the chamber with the bolt only halfway back, so there's no way you could be accidentally chambering a round when you release it and close the action.

Again, BE CAREFUL! (And maybe even buy a pump shotgun for dedicated home defense use.)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

In an auto you really don’t need to drop the hammer at all

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:45 pm 
Diamond Grade

dcr5468 wrote:

If you want an A300 to chamber a round out of the magazine when you rack the bolt, you need to either drop the hammer or press the carrier stop button. I'm not sure, but I don't think pressing the carrier stop button takes the pressure off the hammer spring, which is what the OP wants to do.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:19 pm 
Crown Grade

Going back to the '60s, I've never dropped the hammer on any of my shotguns to 'store' it.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:28 pm 
Diamond Grade

Zbigniew wrote:
Going back to the '60s, I've never dropped the hammer on any of my shotguns to 'store' it.

I don't believe it's necessary but I do it just the same... :?

For the OP, who may be new to guns by the sounds of it, dropping the hammer indoors at home should probably be avoided. Mistakes can be very costly.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've NEVER avoided dropping the hammer on an empty chamber with any of my guns. In fact, I'll frequently dryfire them just for practice and to help smooth out the trigger parts and the action when I cycle the gun.

Handguns, rifles, shotguns, whatever... just sit around the house and "shoot" every doorknob, ceiling/corner joint, or even pictures on the wall. Hasn't hurt a thing and I believe it's even helped smooth out the action of the guns and helps develop better trigger control.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:30 pm 
Crown Grade

Absolutely not. I was sitting with a friend in the living room of his house when he clicked on an "empty" chamber and sent a .22 LR into the ceiling.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:14 pm 
Utility Grade

desmobob wrote:
dcr5468 wrote:

If you want an A300 to chamber a round out of the magazine when you rack the bolt, you need to either drop the hammer or press the carrier stop button. I'm not sure, but I don't think pressing the carrier stop button takes the pressure off the hammer spring, which is what the OP wants to do.

I put two rounds in the magazine - none in the chamber. I then pulled the trigger and 1 round came out of the magazine and now is visble and sits below the barrel. Is this what I want?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

mangurian wrote:
desmobob wrote:
dcr5468 wrote:

I put two rounds in the magazine - none in the chamber. I then pulled the trigger and 1 round came out of the magazine and now is visble and sits below the barrel. Is this what I want?

Yep. That's EXACTLY what you want. That round sitting on the carrier isn't going anywhere until you are ready for it to move up and into the chamber. All you have to do to accomplish this is to pull the bolt handle fully to the rear and let it fly. BTW, I would recommend keeping the safety OFF. You don't want to have to fool with a safety when your life may be at stake. And, if you're going to use this gun for self defense, I recommend removing the plug from the magazine and loading as many shells in the magazine as it will hold.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:19 pm 
Presentation Grade

This post just screams “I handle guns in an unsafe manner”

Drop the snap cap idea it’s not an over and under.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"