ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beretta 391 stock drop setting for Sporting Clays
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:36 pm 
Field Grade

I was wondering what the majority of you AL391 Sporting Clay shooters have your stock shims set at? I plan on visiting the patterning board but wondered what the consensus is out there. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Beretta 391 stock drop setting for Sporting Clays
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:55 pm 
Crown Grade

60 for me. Both shims must be set the same. Remember DX for RH and SX for LH.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

I just changed to a 50 on my 390 which is closer to parallel. 390/391 use the same stock and shims

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:57 am 
Limited Edition

Chitownhoff wrote:
I was wondering what the majority of you AL391 Sporting Clay shooters have your stock shims set at? I plan on visiting the patterning board but wondered what the consensus is out there. Thanks.

Hi Chitown:

Is your question actually "what Vertical Point of Impact do shooters prefer?" If so, that's not the same as asking which shim to use.

For which shim to use, why do you think there would be any "consensus" on this topic?

In your thread title, you asked about the Drop dimension . . . the various shims available for your gun are intended to personalize the gun to better fit you. And for Drop, you choose whichever shim positions your eye at whatever height above the rib allows you to shoot your best and yield the vertical Point of Impact you want/need with this gun and the type of shooting you do. The exact shim other shooters might use to meet these requirements is essentially irrelevant for you. Everyone's different -- that's why there are different shims.

In other words, your question is basically the same as "My gun has an adjustable comb. What Drop value should I set it to?" A specific numerical answer for an individual shooter is not possible.

both available direct from the publisher: http://www.gunshowbooks.com/

Last edited by TrapshooterJeff on Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

As Jeff is saying, the gun should be set up to fit YOU and your shooting style... which CAN change over time.

That said, I believe it's true that a gun with too much drop is easier to shoot well than one with not enough drop, so you might want to err on the side of maximum drop to start with.

Also, don't be afraid to experiment with the "cast" setting. Not everyone's face is shaped the same and not everyone "cheeks" the gun the same. For a very long time I shot one of my 390's with cast "ON" (which is typically for left handers) even though I'm a right hander.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:54 am 
Tournament Grade

It’s really just a substitute for an adjustable comb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:37 pm 
Presentation Grade

55 for me on my 391 Teknys Gold Sporting back in the day, although I had a monte carlo factory stock so that's why the drop was so much compared to others.

Everyone is different and shims can be hand anywhere for a good value, so worst case get a few extra and head out and go shoot.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have to make my own shims to raise my comb. Family lore is that I'm related to Elizabeth Warren.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:07 pm 
Diamond Grade

I always turn the 65mm shim upside down and that makes it about as high as you can go. Which isnt that high btw. Mine measures about 1 3/8" by about 2"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:49 pm 
Limited Edition

dcr5468 wrote:
It’s really just a substitute for an adjustable comb

Not so much. Two significant differences. The adjustable comb can only be raised, but the shims can move the stock up or down. And second, the shims don’t just adjust the comb, they adjust the heel too and more than the comb, because of the greater distance from the shim to the heel than to the comb.